Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Meniscus Audio / CSS DIY 2019 - Sept 20-21

Comments

• I should have some smaller full rangers, a coax pair, 2 cd players with remotes (adcom 5 disc and i think a pioneer like 50-100 cd player). Anyone need aura bass shaker? Maybe some ither odds and ends. 
  • How much for the Adcom?
  • 6thplanet said:
    How much for the Adcom?
    You going to Grand Rapids?
  • Would like to, but no, just curious if it's worth having shipped.
  • I'd like to get $75 for the adcom and $45 for the pioneer.  Adcom 5 disc (says all class A analog circuitry) is model gcd-600 (it has volume control so it can actually function as a preamp. and pioneer is 101 disc  model PD-F958 (analog and optical output). 
  • Mike I'll give you $75 for the Adcom if 6thplanet bails.  He spoke first for it.
  • If $100 will get it to me 47150, I'll take it. If not it's all Craiger's
  • 6th are you okay if I sell it to Craig? I have an upcoming project I need his help for and it would be a mutually beneficial deal for me. I am assuming shipping would be $25-35 based on signs ive sent out that size. (i dont have a business account).
  • I'll take the Pioneer off your hands at Meniscus...
    D1PP1N
  • Thanks 6th.  I'll take it Mike.
    D1PP1N
  • You owe me a ride in the Stang someday
    D1PP1N
  • Gonna have a few items for sale myself at the coming event.  But I may not have room for it all.  Let me know if anyone is interested in anything and I'll make sure to bring it.

2 x Thiel 12" sub from recent auction - NIB - $125 ea or $225/pr - these things are monsters

2 x Peerless 25mm Corundum tweeters with custom 175mm 3D printed waveguides - barely used in mint condition - $75/pr

4 x MCM 8" subwoofers 55-2421 - NIB - $20 ea

4 x Dayton PK175-8 7" pro midbass - like new - $15 ea

8 x Dayton ND91-8 - used in excellent condition - $12 ea

10 x buyout Def Tech shielded 5" drivers - unused, but dusty - poly cone, rubber surround, cast pincushion frame - free to a good home

12 x Sammi Sound 8" drivers - 6 like new, 6 with wires soldered on - paper cone, foam surround, high Qts - not great drivers, but they match and would be good for open baffle experimentation - free to a good home
  • Dan,
    I'll take the pair of Peerless Corundum tweeters and waveguides.
    Thanks
    DanP
  • Man- those Thiels are beasts. If I wasn't getting a large-haul in the near future, I might have snapped those up.

Man- those 2-part towers are parted out? I was sure you would keep them.
  • Wolf said:
    Man- those Thiels are beasts. If I wasn't getting a large-haul in the near future, I might have snapped those up.

Man- those 2-part towers are parted out? I was sure you would keep them.
    I purposely made the cabs modular so I could reuse them in the future by just making a new baffle.  I did the dual woofers to get the sensitivity up for the minimal xo challenge, but that Dynavox woofer really wants to be alone in that cab if ported and if I'm going sealed, I'd rather be listening to the Baronettes.  So... it's getting parted out.

What big haul do you have coming up?
  • Apparently, I was willed some drivers and xover parts from a recently passed acquaintance.
  • I know this is cutting things close, but registered. Things finally fell into place where I should be able to make it for Saturday.
    DanP
  • can i get some details on the thiel subs? drivers only or are they in boxes... Interested but I know next to nothing about these, nothing would be closer to next!
  • I too would be interested in details of the subs!
  • I've been a bit iffy due to work, but it's looking like I'll be able to attend and bring the speakers I've been building for my nephew Pete.
  • About the Thiel subs- Think bigger than the CSS SDX12, really stiff suspension with aluminum cone, and a LOT of Xmax. They are meant for boosted-sealed boxes.
  • A previous post said there would be 10 minute presenter slots.  Will there be 5 min of house tracks and we provide 5 min of our own?  And what format is desired?  CD, thumb drive or something else?  
  • Wolf said:
    About the Thiel subs- Think bigger than the CSS SDX12, really stiff suspension with aluminum cone, and a LOT of Xmax. They are meant for boosted-sealed boxes.
    The Theil sub actually has a smaller motor. It weighs several pounds less than ours. Rory also let us in on some insights (since he was part of the design team) and ours uses a higher quality motor based on his feedback. It does have a bigger, high roll surround, which might help at the extremes of excursion, but the SDX12 is a lower distortion motor.
  • A previous post said there would be 10 minute presenter slots.  Will there be 5 min of house tracks and we provide 5 min of our own?  And what format is desired?  CD, thumb drive or something else?  
    We can do CD or thumb drive. Both will work for the setup we are brining.
  • edited September 2019
    Hey guys, in celebration of this weekend's event, we're having a 10% off sale site-wide at CSS (use code 10DIY2019).  We won't be advertising this until Friday, but we wanted to offer this to the MAC/DIY gang early so we can bring the orders for any one attending the event instead of shipping them to save even more.  Just choose store pickup as the shipping method and we'll bring it along.  This is a great opportunity for some of the larger flatpack kits like the SDX12 passive radiator kit which weighs in at 120lbs.  
  • ani_101 said:
    can i get some details on the thiel subs? drivers only or are they in boxes... Interested but I know next to nothing about these, nothing would be closer to next!
    Hi Ani,

I don't know a ton about them, but they appear to be built for high excursion in a small enclosure.  They actually use the same frame as the SDX12, a tall, half-roll thick rubber surround, aluminum cone, and triple stacked magnets.  I think they weigh in at about 35lbs and they seem to have some interesting T/S parameters.  Here's a link to some info that Geoff Schneider had: https://m.facebook.com/groups/337012923297881?view=permalink&id=549839535348551
  • My room is now officially booked and non-cancellable, so I guess I'm officially in for sure! I will be bringing a 3 way active system - on which construction is not actually completed, much less listened to yet. 

This will be an exercise in how quickly such a system can be put together and sound decent by a relative novice; I expect to have 2 nights at most to dial in a dsp crossover before the event. Looking forward to meeting all of you and hearing what everyone has been cooking up! 
    DanP