Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Meniscus Audio / CSS DIY 2019 - Sept 20-21

12346»

Comments

• Sweet looking pair.  How do the grills attach?   
  • Finally got a second to get my thoughts together on this event.  First of all, I had a great time.  I have a new respect for Mark, Ben and anyone else who has organized and ran an event like this.  Lots of work, but also lots of fun.  For this first one that Kerry and I have been involved with, we basically followed the proven format of events prior to this (a great format, btw) and besides the difficulties associated with a great turnout, it went pretty smooth. 

Kerry, Mark and I have discussed a few options to accommodate a large turnout and perhaps some other fun tweaks to make it a slightly different event.  We're definitely going to change the music format/time, but not sure how yet.  As the speakers at these events get better and better (i.e. closer to accurate), the differences diminish and so does the entertainment value of a lengthy direct comparison, in my opinion.  I personally would prefer a much shorter house track, just for reference, to make more time to see what people like to jam on their speakers.  At this level of design work, it's almost a better comparison of how a speaker performs to listen to tracks that the designer associates with them.

We're also trying to consider a way to offer a LOUD option.  We all know listener fatigue is a thing, but maybe it's not the same thing it used to be a decade ago when some of the speakers weren't quite flat.  I know, I'm always itching to crank the speakers at these events and I know some other guys are too.  I'm hoping we can figure out a way to push some of the speakers to their limits without pushing our ears to theirs.

The chatter in the room.  This is never as big a deal to me personally as it is to some people.  I come to see old friends, meet new ones, admire craftsmanship, and listen to speakers.  Some of these things require silence and some inspire chatter.  Hopefully we can find a creative way moving forward to satisfy both.

The room was a pleasant surprise.  Though maybe not quite big enough for the large turnout, it was close enough and the acoustics were quite good.  The room location in the hotel was perfect to not be heard in other areas and the proximity to the bar offered a nice option for those who enjoy a drink at these events, while still observing the no-alcohol rule for the conference room.  The hotel location next to Meniscus was perfect as well.  

Big thanks to Mark for including us in this event this year and years to come and another big thanks to Bill for once again providing a wonderful photo record of the weekend.  (I'm glad you snagged those dome mids, Bill.  I know you'll do something awesome with them!)  And one last thanks to everyone who showed up and made it a great time!  One request for next year - try to drag a newbie with you.  I have a feeling there are at least a handful of people who see the big names and the beautiful speakers and don't think they belong at events like these.  We all know nothing could be further from the truth and it seems like most times we get some new blood in, they bring a fresh perspective and in a couple years, they're throwing down with the big boys.

Had a blast with everyone - can't wait until next year!

Dan
    PWRRYDjr@macJasonPjhollanderBrannigansLawWolfS79104thtryBryan@MACkennyk
  • The archive page is up!! Thanks @4thtry - Bill S., for his stunning photography work as usual!

https://midwestaudio.club/event-archive/meniscus-2019/
    jholtzdcibelS7910kennyk
    My signature goes here