Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Meniscus Audio / CSS DIY 2019 - Sept 20-21

Comments

• DanP said:
    ani_101 said:
    can i get some details on the thiel subs? drivers only or are they in boxes... Interested but I know next to nothing about these, nothing would be closer to next!
    Hi Ani,

I don't know a ton about them, but they appear to be built for high excursion in a small enclosure.  They actually use the same frame as the SDX12, a tall, half-roll thick rubber surround, aluminum cone, and triple stacked magnets.  I think they weigh in at about 35lbs and they seem to have some interesting T/S parameters.  Here's a link to some info that Geoff Schneider had: https://m.facebook.com/groups/337012923297881?view=permalink&id=549839535348551
    thanks Dan, i'll take the pair and add them to my every growing monster drivers...

did you get a chance to measure them?
  • ani_101 said:
    DanP said:
    ani_101 said:
    can i get some details on the thiel subs? drivers only or are they in boxes... Interested but I know next to nothing about these, nothing would be closer to next!
    Hi Ani,

I don't know a ton about them, but they appear to be built for high excursion in a small enclosure.  They actually use the same frame as the SDX12, a tall, half-roll thick rubber surround, aluminum cone, and triple stacked magnets.  I think they weigh in at about 35lbs and they seem to have some interesting T/S parameters.  Here's a link to some info that Geoff Schneider had: https://m.facebook.com/groups/337012923297881?view=permalink&id=549839535348551
    thanks Dan, i'll take the pair and add them to my every growing monster drivers...

did you get a chance to measure them?
    You got it Ani.  I measured them, but I don't remember the exact figures.  I think I got what Jeff got for Fs and Qts (33Hz and 0.44), but a smaller value for Vas (like 0.55cu ft).  It's hard ti measure Vas with a suspension this stiff though, so even being off a factor of 2 from Geoff's measurement seemed reasonable.  My plan was to get a general model and then measure the system for final tuning, either sealed or PR.
  • Dan,

I have a use for the Def Techs if they haven't been spoken for already.
  • S7910 said:
    Dan,

They're all yours.  They're great little drivers, I've just never put them to use...

Dan
  • Hey guys...just a shot in the dark here, but is anyone going to be at Meniscus on Friday and also passing through Chicago to get there? I have a pair of Bose 201 speakers that I would love for Mark to toss from the roof. He only does the roof toss on Friday so I know this is a real long shot.

I'm in the city, just west of I90/94 in Bridgeport - near Guaranteed Rate Field.

Any help?
    My signature goes here
  • Those poor, poor 201's.....😢
    Bryan@MAC
  • I have a Pioneer SX-1050 I'm bringing with for the sale table. Works fine but may need a little TLC. Price is negotiable.
  • S7910 said:
    I have a Pioneer SX-1050 I'm bringing with for the sale table. Works fine but may need a little TLC. Price is negotiable.
    I'm interested Matt.
  • Those are kind of sought after aren't they? 
  • I have a set of Mirage Omni 550s

https://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uploads/large/2161393-mirage-omni-550-810.jpg

just like that - with one bum tweeter that is going to need attention. I have not torn them down to diagnose yet, just know that one tweeter doesn't play. I could bring them for the sale table if there's interest. If not I'll probably not cart them all the way down there, I just don't see myself getting to fixing them in the next year and need to make space. 
  • Bryan@MAC said:
    Hey guys...just a shot in the dark here, but is anyone going to be at Meniscus on Friday and also passing through Chicago to get there? I have a pair of Bose 201 speakers that I would love for Mark to toss from the roof. He only does the roof toss on Friday so I know this is a real long shot.

I'm in the city, just west of I90/94 in Bridgeport - near Guaranteed Rate Field.

Any help?

I will be passing by the Chicago and hope to make it for the Friday session. would be going by around noon - maybe a bit earlier or a bit later... all depends on how early i can start tomorrow dawn
  • ani_101 said:
    I will be passing by the Chicago and hope to make it for the Friday session. would be going by around noon - maybe a bit earlier or a bit later... all depends on how early i can start tomorrow dawn
    Thanks Ani but I won’t be able to hand off the speakers around noon. Will be in the western suburbs - nowhere close for a convenient meeting spot. 

I’ll hang onto them for next year. Appreciate your offer to help. 
    My signature goes here
  • I vote Bryan gets up on top of his house and chucks those fuckers off his roof. Filmed, of course
    DanPjr@macPWRRYDS7910kennyk
  • Fucking O'Hare, throw this place off a roof.
    I have a signature.
  • I'm here, too early to check in. I'ma have a sammich at the bar and maybe Lyft to Meniscus after.
    I have a signature.
  • Ohare sucks in every way possible!
  • I'm here just checked in! Gonna see if meniscus is walkable, need to stretch my legs 
  • Great event guys!
    hifisideBrannigansLaw
  • Postcards from the edge anyone? 
  • PWRRYD said:
    Great event guys!
    I'll second that! A great first experience for me, lots of learning an so many useful takeaways. I really enjoyed meeting all of you as well! More time to talk is definitely going to be something I'll forward to next time. It was all firsts for me this weekend; dozens of not only speakers but even drivers I've only read about before. I do see that many designs 'make the rounds' between events for a good while, so there would be more time for that I think. Big thanks to the folks from CSS and Meniscus for the hard work that goes into hosting something like this, and to Bo from SB for the great door prize.. It will be put to good use and brought to a future event.
    hifiside
  • I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but I can't equate your screenname with your actual one. Who were you again?
  • edited September 2019
    no worries; Jakub - bald, beardy guy from Canada
  • Ah- Yes, I met you! Keep me posted on the Fenrir-MLTL...
    BrannigansLaw
  • Kornbread said:
    Those are kind of sought after aren't they? 
    Yeah, though that seems to be the case for most vintage things Pioneer to one degree or another.
  • DanP said:
    S7910 said:
    Dan,

They're all yours.  They're great little drivers, I've just never put them to use...

Dan
    Thanks!
  • Props to Dan, Kerry, and Mark for putting on a great event.
    BrannigansLawkonfyoused
  • edited September 2019
    I'm glad everyone enjoyed the event this year. The turn out was insane! I've been the past 3 years before and it was never close to this. My first year there were probably 8 people on Friday night and maybe 15 on Saturday.

We've already started considering changes to next years format to make it better. I think the general consensus (myself and Dan included) was that we need to cut down on the amount of time each speaker plays. We are thinking about shooting for 6 minutes total with 3 minutes each house and personal tracks instead of 5/5 min. Based on how big the event was this year, which was very unexpected, and comments on the Facebook group that more people are planning on attending next year, there is some discussion about making this 2 days. The other option would be to guarantee only one spot if you bring more than one speaker and reserve the end of the day if time permits to play additional.

Unfortunately we didn't really get to conduct the crossover test we were hoping for. We had some issues with the switching unit and also had no time on Saturday anyway. We'll try again at some point in the future with this.

If anyone has any suggestions on changes they think would make the event better, let us know. We are open to feedback. This definitely doesn't have to be the same format as other events and we are up for trying other things, like maybe not even having a house track.
  • I'm sure I speak for the group that chatter was at a new high level this time. So much so that the presenter or project was drowned out by it. While I know I did talk a little, I either went to the hallway or spoke softly in close proximity to the person I talked to. This was not always reflected from the other person.

Did you get a total count of projects? Normally the single entry works to keep numbers down. If it breaches 30, it gets tight quick in one day. One thing I did long ago was to not provide the second 5 minutes on the house demo disc. If you didn't bring a demo, then you got 5 minutes of house tracks. Not everyone does, and this can quickly reduce over-all time allotted, easily by 25%. The speech on the builds should be kept short, and I thought you did a good job of monitoring that, as well as keeping the rotation going. 

Food- closer and shorter time is unfortunately something I've had to adhere myself to the last few years for InDIYana to keep time down. That hour I hold myself to pretty tightly.

I was sincere when I asked you and Dan if the event was weighing heavy and making you tired after lunch, as I know it does me. It's a lot of work, and only those that have hosted an event of this stature really know the level of work it truly requires.
    jholtz

• Many thanks to Mark, Kerry, and Dan for putting on a great event.  Enjoyed the roof toss, pizza, conversations, snapping photos, listening, etc., etc.  Thanks to Ken for a slightly used mono-block tube amplifier.  It uses 6SNT7 octal base input amp/inverted tubes and large 807 power output tubes.  Massive power and output transformers.  I will see what I can do with this.  Purchased a set of 4 SB Acoustics 3/4" dome tweeters from Mark for a future project.

Pictures??   I only have one picture done so far.  Will post more tommorrow.  For this one, I used an action sequence technique (often used by pro sports photographers) to capture the roof toss.  Just as Mark released the speaker, I burst my camera at 5 fps until the speaker hit the ground.

CAPTURE INFO:

Date/Time:  9/20/19   7:10pm Eastern (Sunset was 7:56pm)

Excellent Light:  Partly cloudy, light starting to fall off a little as sunset approached.
                      The sun was behind the buildings, which put the subject in open shade.

Camera:  Nikon D800 (36MP full frame) on tripod
    Lens:  Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
    Shutter speed:  1/1250 second
    Aperture:  F/5.6
    ISO:  1250
    Focal Length:  26mm
    Image Quality:  RAW
    Focus:  Manually prefocused at 25 feet, yielding a DOF from 9 feet to infinity.
    Shooting speed:  5 frames per second triggered with remote release cable.
    Buffer limit:  16 frames at 5 fps when shooting camera RAW (approx 4 seconds)

POST PROCESSING:

7 individual pictures merged in photoshop and saved as a multi-shot freeze frame sequence.

Bryan@MACkennyksquamishdrocani_101