Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

G35 Audio Upgrade

Comments

• Thanks, but I want it black. I can't believe I don't have any, got white, yellow, red, and tan....🙄 No black, I'm pretty sure Jo-Ann fabrics has it, prolly shoot over there tomorrow.

• Looking good dude!

6thplanet
  • Well Joann has let me down. Three stores locally and none have any stock. Looks like a PE order will be made. I got all the mountings fabbed for the planars, now it's wait for a delivery.

• How much do you need? I have some, but not sure how big ...

• Is this just to keep the dust & dirt out? Maybe you could use black pantyhose?

• Yup, keep all the crap out.
    Joey, I'd need enough to wrap around both neo8's. I haven't made an order yet, so if you'd like to throw some in a box, PM me.

• So roughly 9" x 5" each?

• I'm thinking the panty-hose suggestion might work really well.

• 5x10 minimum would work. I worry about pantyhose providing enough protection. Although a few layers might be fine?

• Just saying ...

6thplanet
  • I'm gonna check in an hour for ya

• I've got a piece I will never use. PM me you addy and I'll drop it in the mail

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Hell yeah guys, thanks. John PM'd me Joey, it's all good👍🏻

• Sick. If you need more lmk

• John has some cloth on the way to me, thanks broski🤘🏼 In the meantime, I did a bit of experimenting. I robbed one of my wife's stalkings/pantyhose, some of the white grill cloth, and took some measurements.
    Black: nothing
    Red: double layer grill cloth
    Blue double layer pantyhose

Looks like some pantyhose is a great way to notch that peak 🤔. I think the grill cloth will be a better choice for the kick panel location with the bit of off axis listening position. Whatcha think?

• I wonder what one layer of each would measure like.
    I am also curious if the weave of the fabrics would cause any off-axis notching as the thread count changes with angle.

• I went with one layer of cloth, stitched up my own "stalkings".

joeybutts
  • Isn't that supposed to be 'Stockings'? Stalkings is something else entirely, but you likely like peeping your tweeters. =)

• Ha! Yeah, 🤦🏻‍♂️ Anywho...I jammed these suckers in there. There's a piece of 1/2" F10 felt on the back side along with some UltraTouch type stuff. The MiniDSP miniDC PS is ordered, when that gets here, I'll get all that junk installed.

Silver1omojoeybuttsPWRRYDNicholas_23
  • So... How do you keep people from resting their foot on those and getting snow on them? :#

• edited April 2021

....your not alowd in my car, Tom.

Silver1omoThumperTomNicholas_23

• Alright! The snow boot rests are up and running. Initial listening test are fantastic. Started with just the front setup with an 800Hz cover @48dB slope, then switched to 24dB. Did a quick low and high shelf boost and set the delays. Holy crap, totally glad I made all this happen. Need to load Omnimic on the wife's laptop so I can tweak with mine, measure with hers. I'll post some squiggly lines when that all occurs.

joeybuttsjhollanderSilver1omokenrhodessquamishdrocPWRRYD

• Got to install the subwoofer amp yesterday. After seeing this little guy belt out 500 watts on an amp dyno video, I was sold. For $160 and the foot print of a dollar bill, it's a steal! Install went smoothly with plenty of space for the amp and power components, which luckily I had in the junk box. I then loaded Omni up on the wife's laptop and connected to the miniDSP on mine and started playing. After a couple hours I went from this.....

...to this...

Quite the improvement and after some more listening after that pic, I dropped the mids a bit more. I was actually able to make it fairly flat, but that has never sounded good to me. All my home speakers have the classic BBC dip, it's a necessity for all the music I listen to. As for tuning a car you have to have at least twice the amount of bass to overcome road noise and a bit more mid scoop for when the volume gets cranked, then treble to suit. All in all, it's the best sounding car system I've done. Needs some time to get the final tweaks, but so looking forward to finally having it all together. 🤘🏼

ugly_wooferkenrhodesjoeybuttssquamishdroc
  • That's a pretty decent curve for a car - good job!

6thplanet
  • I don't know car audio, so this is a basic question - looks like the bass has a 20db gain over the average mid/treble - is this what you aim for? what is twice the amount of bass? and mid scoop?

• what is the subwoofer amp and what subwoofer? I see only the mids as neo-8, maybe i missed the tweets. The neo-8's are crossing over the the sub? They don't go very low or there is another woofer too?

• neo8-800-15000hz
    Door Dynaudio 8" -40-800hz
    Rear Dynaudio 8"-40-~100hz
    I HP at 40hz as there's really not much going on below that and just eats up power and woofer excursion.
    In a car as you drive and come up to speed, the engine noise and road noise from the tires/suspension/road surface detract from the low end of a system. To counter that you boost the low end to whatever degree it takes to get the amount of bass you want. Most time in a car is driving, so you kinda put up with an overly bassy response at idle/parked, which isn't always a bad thing....if you like BASS😉🤘🏼
    As for mid scoop, I listen to a good bit of metal/hard rock. This can end up on the loud side of the volume control. Giving and extra bit of "scoop" helps it from getting to edgy in the guitar/vocals at that level. Great thing is once I have an acceptable EQ in the miniDSP, I can use the radios EQ to trim different sources and music to suit.

jhollanderkenrhodesani_101
  • What we talking here? Trivium, A7, Meshuggah, Dream Theater, Disturbed, Amaranthe, Amon Amarth?

• Bucket Head

Turn2
  • I'm old school... Megadeth, Pantera, Slayer, Helmet, COC, Gurd, Metallica, and of course..

jhollanderSilver1omoani_101kenrhodessquamishdrockennyk