Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IOWA DIY 2020

124»

Comments

• I'd probably have had a fun 3-way ready in time but it is what it is.

Be thankful you're not in Story county IA today. It's a toss up between ISU and U of Iowa who has the worst numbers in the world right now.

Has anyone thought about doing something virtually?

Ron

• @PWRRYD said:

>

On a side note: I have enough new projects to present I could have my very own DIY event all by myself LOL :p

I feel we have been cheated out of 2020, event wise. While it may not be possible, I want a bonus day for every event in 2021.

6thplanetPWRRYDJasonP4thtryS7910kenrhodesNavyGuy
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I believe SoDak took number 1 today on Covid.

Guys, we agonized over this decision.

Let's reignite speakchat.

kenrhodes
    I have a signature.
  • There is a discord already set. Should work nicely.

Bryan@MAC
  • @Ron_E said:
    I'd probably have had a fun 3-way ready in time but it is what it is.

Be thankful you're not in Story county IA today. It's a toss up between ISU and U of Iowa who has the worst numbers in the world right now.

Has anyone thought about doing something virtually?

Ron

Ron, I suggested a virtual competition a while ago on the PETT MWAF2020 thread, but it received no response. Seems to be no interest at all. Or perhaps no one is reading this thread anymore. I would certainly participate in a virtual competition. B)
    Link: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/1441335-mwaf-2020#post1448790

• @Silver1omo said:
    There is a discord already set. Should work nicely.

Of course, there is a MAC subsection in the Discord group I opened some time ago. Only a few people have joined up, but I will point out that the phone app works very well for group messaging.

https://discord.gg/BTeBteh

Bryan@MAC
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • BK - Understandable. The situation is what it is.

• @dcibel said:

@Silver1omo said:
    There is a discord already set. Should work nicely.

Of course, there is a MAC subsection in the Discord group I opened some time ago. Only a few people have joined up, but I will point out that the phone app works very well for group messaging.

https://discord.gg/BTeBteh

Guys I am clueless about this but 100% interested. @JasonP is this something that needs to be integrated so everyone can be included?

My signature goes here
  • @Bryan@MAC said:
    Guys I am clueless about this but 100% interested. @JasonP is this something that needs to be integrated so everyone can be included?

Nothing needs to be done, Discord is a free application for chatting with text, voice, and video. It even runs in the browser. I already joined that server :)

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • @Bryan@MAC Just click the link and create a Discord account, it's as easy as joining this forum :). Want to use your phone, just download the Discord app and log in.

• My old age obviously showing. I was not able to register. See attached and prove I’m dumb.

My signature goes here
  • Can't get it to work on the phone, but I'm in via PC.

Silver1omo
    My signature goes here
  • edited September 2020

If you're in on your PC, account successfully created :). You should be able to simply open the phone app and log into your account.

The group I created requires that all users have verified their email, so make sure that step is complete on the account creation.

• edited September 2020

@Bryan@MAC I punched your error message into a search engine and got this info.

https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-you-are-being-rate-limited-error-on-discord/

Basically, the error message is a result of entering the verification code incorrectly too many times.

• Been using discord for years now with voice chat for gaming its really good quality if you have a good mic.

Nicholas_23
  • Yesterday Iowa set high marks for daily COVID deaths and number of people hospitalized. No need to second-guess the cancellation decision.

In order to salvage some fun here before this thread becomes obsolete, how about dumping some pics and stories on the projects that coulda, shoulda, mighta been here? I'll go ahead, since I'm already here.

Being jobless was a boon to diminishing the pile of half-finished projects. The TABAQ towers above are a 2.5 way with the last of a stash of TB W4-1320SIF midwoofers and Dayton ND25FA-4 tweets. This was on the drawing board for a long time. I really, really, really like the sound of these. Easy-peasy drivers and very easy to listen to.

The F6/Seas 22TAF/G combo is a rework of a project that didn't live up to the sum of its parts. New cabs and 4 teeny XO tweaks and now I don't regret stripping the original down one bit.

The Dynavox/Peerless DX25BG60-04 combo in the black boxes is a work in progress. I really like what I hear, but the tweeter level needs to come down just a smidge before they're ready for presentation. I likely would have added one part to the XO and solicited opinions if the show had come off. In spite of the distorted perspective in the pic the bottom cabinets are actually slightly larger volume than the ones stacked above. Maybe the slimming 1.25" quarter round corners are doing there thing. ;)

jholtz4thtryhifisideBryan@MAC
  • I probably wouldn't have brought any new builds, but next year I plan on having a few to show.

SoDak is definitely in the front running for the title of "worst management" during this pandemic. In Sioux Falls we are now turning away patients. As a state, we have had more deaths in the month of October than the previous months combined. Our governor is now inviting people to move here and using the word "Covid" in state advertising. It is a misguided campaign, the slogan is "Less Covid, More Hunting". Her family is invested heavily in hunting lodges and pheasant farms.

This is not good. I read the US is 299,000 deaths above predicted for the year of 2020, which is the only valid way of understanding the effect of this Covid situation. Given the ramping up nature of things right now, we can probably expect to top 500,000 differential from last year. This number is controlled for demographic factors, incidentally.

Stay safe my friends, I want to see you all next year.

jholtzTurn2
    I have a signature.
  • Those TABAQs look nice (well, they all look nice, but the TABAQs caught my eye...). Are you willing to share the crossover and any other details?
    Thanks,
    Mike

• I would have probably brought a pair of the last of the Peerless NLA projects. I have two pair that just need to have crossovers. I've been working on a 3 way with 8" MCM 55-5670, HiVi DMB-2, and Fountek NeoCD1.0. The boxes are getting close to done.

Iowa is bad but other states states are pushing us down on the list of the worst. This site lets you see the outbreaks at a county by county level. Before we're done we'll probably all going to know someone who's had it and many will know someone who has died.

https://globalepidemics.org/key-metrics-for-covid-suppression/

I'm looking forward to getting together again.

Ron

• I'm ready for the next diy as long as it's reasonably close to home. Should have the Orgons dialed in (as dialed as I can get them) and the Sadies+doghouse ready.

• edited October 2020

@MikeJennens said:
    Those TABAQs look nice (well, they all look nice, but the TABAQs caught my eye...). Are you willing to share the crossover and any other details?
    Thanks,
    Mike

I can oblige on some vital info but not on the supporting detail. Unfortunately some has been lost over time. I believe I originally drew these up around '16 or '17. If you just want to build a copy you should be fine. I used the information from here for the cabinets:

https://audioxpress.com/article/TABAQ-Tang-Band-Quarter-Wave

The height is the same as spec'ed as is the placement of the lower driver (as if it were a full range single driver unit). Because you need room for the width of the driver and that large ferrite magnet, I increased the width and decreased the depth of the cabinet slightly. Keep the cross-sectional area the same as the original though. You will also need to recalculate the dimensions of the slot port to keep the tuning the same. It was just a slight adjustment in this case. Don't forget to stuff the upper portion of the box more or less as spec'ed in the link.

Here is the crossover:

Give me a nudge if you need more detail.

• @Turn2 said:

@MikeJennens said:
    Those TABAQs look nice (well, they all look nice, but the TABAQs caught my eye...). Are you willing to share the crossover and any other details?
    Thanks,
    Mike

I can oblige on some vital info but not on the supporting detail. Unfortunately some has been lost over time. I believe I originally drew these up around '16 or '17. If you just want to build a copy you should be fine. I used the information from here for the cabinets:

https://audioxpress.com/article/TABAQ-Tang-Band-Quarter-Wave

The height is the same as spec'ed as is the placement of the lower driver (as if it were a full range single driver unit). Because you need room for the width of the driver and that large ferrite magnet, I increased the width and decreased the depth of the cabinet slightly. Keep the cross-sectional area the same as the original though. You will also need to recalculate the dimensions of the slot port to keep the tuning the same. It was just a slight adjustment in this case. Don't forget to stuff the upper portion of the box more or less as spec'ed in the link.

Here is the crossover:

Give me a nudge if you need more detail.

Thanks! I follow the TABAQ thread on DIYAudio, but this adds a dimension they don't typically cover.

• @MikeJennens said:

Thanks! I follow the TABAQ thread on DIYAudio, but this adds a dimension they don't typically cover.

I started out by adding a tweeter to an NLA Tang Band driver I had laying around. I figured, "If a quarter wave can make a small driver sound like a bigger driver, why not add a tweeter to help the mix even more?" which led to "Why not use the quarter wave to make a nice small speaker sound like a really nice larger speaker?" What you see up above is the culmination of that. IMHO, in this case, it works and has been a fun little project.

• Were the 'tweaks' in the F6 design the ones I offered, or did something else work better for you?

• @Wolf said:
    Were the 'tweaks' in the F6 design the ones I offered, or did something else work better for you?

Yes, and thank you for the suggestions. All together I changed the XO with:

• Added 3-part notch filter to woofer circuit
    • Bumped woofer coil up in size from 1.0mH to 1.2mH
    • Added the "tank" across that coil
    • Bumped up resistor on tweeter by 1 ohm

Of those the tweeter mod is open to change. It may not have been needed at all.

• It's amazing how 'honky' the F6 is without that filter in place.