Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Mnemosyne-a new monkey coffin

Comments

• It didn't post the second photo.

Gowa6thplanet
  • edited July 2021
  • I also prefer #2, especially with those 4 bolt mids.

• I like it as-pictured.

I have a signature.
  • Thanks guys, you confirmed what I was thinking.

• 1 as I don't like the woofer and mid holes lining up

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • huh I put a "#" and it changed the font

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I am really digging the old school monkey coffins these days. This looks great to me.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • 2, no north / south screw holes.

• Ha! Mine to, John

• The fact that the holes line up on the mid and woofer is what gave me pause, and made me question the orientation.

• @rjj45 said:
    I am really digging the old school monkey coffins these days. This looks great to me.

Thanks. I might be dating myself,but monkey coffins are what everyone had when I was young, so as much as like to build oddball shapes, monkey coffins hold a special place in my heart. Cue the violins and tears. Lol

JasonPjr@mackenrhodesrjj45Turn2kennyk
  • Monkey coffins are awesome.

rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • I've got a Vifa NE 12 inch woofer for an upcoming build.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Do you only have one?

• I ordered a pair of those newfangled 12" GRS subwoofers last night. The ~40Hz F3 in a smallish sealed cabinet are what sold me - perhaps a reborn Le Singe Sarcophogi is in the cards...

Turn2rjj45kennyk
    I have a signature.
  • @PWRRYD said:
    Do you only have one?

No, I have 2 =)

• @jr@mac said:
    I ordered a pair of those newfangled 12" GRS subwoofers last night. The ~40Hz F3 in a smallish sealed cabinet are what sold me - perhaps a reborn Le Singe Sarcophogi is in the cards...

I hadn't really looked at that booger. Wow, high sensitivity, very high Qms, and a high value price. That'd be a cookin build..

• @rjj45 said:

@jr@mac said:
    I ordered a pair of those newfangled 12" GRS subwoofers last night. The ~40Hz F3 in a smallish sealed cabinet are what sold me - perhaps a reborn Le Singe Sarcophogi is in the cards...

I hadn't really looked at that booger. Wow, high sensitivity, very high Qms, and a high value price. That'd be a cookin build..

Not particularly senstive, but not bad. Should play to ~250Hz or so before the inductance induced distortion becomes a problem. Realistically, it is more like 9-10mm of Xmax - not sure I like how PE is marketing the Xmax on the new GRS drivers. Some drivers can stay linear as the coil leaves the gap, but it takes a pretty well designed motor and soft parts to do so - I really doubt this woofer benefits from either. Its a $40 retail priced 12" driver. I am far more interested in it from a budget monkey coffin perspective than anything else.

ugly_wooferrjj45kennyk
    I have a signature.
  • This is how I lined the mid enclosure, fiberglass on the walls and ultra touch in the center.

jr@macPWRRYD6thplanetrjj45
  • Everything you do (or at least share with us) is great Nick!

• Here's my latest finishing goof. Some how I managed to drip on a finished cabinet. So more sanding and reapplication of Armor seal.

• @PWRRYD said:
    Everything you do (or at least share with us) is great Nick!

Thanks Craig, I share the things that i think guys might find interesting.

• Yeah, I'd share a picture of my last paint screw up, but I'm pretty sure some of us have experienced the same :#

jr@macrjj45
  • Here is a grill that I hit with 2k primer on the inside, it will be satin black when finished.

jhollanderjr@macPWRRYD4thtryrjj45
  • Satin black is done, I shot it with a 1.8 tip holding the gun about two feet away, for a kind of spatter texture.

PWRRYDrjj45jhollander4thtryS7910Ron_E6thplanetdynamoNicholas_23
  • This is the finished look, classic monkey coffin from yesteryear or even from the likes of Wharfedale and others today.

4thtryS7910Ron_Erjj45GowaPWRRYDjhollanderBilletNicholas_23Turn2and 4 others.
  • Pressure fit or magnets?
    Btw- great fit

• Magnets, love the neodymium.