Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

GRT 145 Second Gen Viawave tweeter is getting tested and finalaized.

Comments

• My data on Vifa NE is rather similar to Curt's.
    rjj45 said:
    Will these be available as a separate item? I'm ready to feel the love.
    Which items?

GRT-145-

BTW, I recently measured a bunch of 4-5 inch midranges, and the Vifa NE 123 came out great.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • dcibel said:
    I don't built kits, but the biggest selling feature to me would be items that can't be easily made at home by running some boards through the table saw, like the nice cut wooden waveguides.
    So, may be include front baffle in a nice veneer with cutouts done? This way, only the box needs to be added.
    Hi Roman,

I'll throw in my $0.02 worth. :-)  The front baffle CNC'ed with a CAD drawing included showing the speaker with a cut list and even a first time builder could build it.

It should be a very nice speaker!

Jim
  • edited October 2018
    rjj45 said:
    ailable as a separate item?
    Which items?

GRT-145-

They are available now. The 8-ohm version is new and I only have 2 pairs left (I'd like to keep one pair for myself for the design) but the next order will be placed soon.
    I've used 123NE before. Liked it a lot too.
    rjj45
  • jholtz said:

Hi Roman,

I'll throw in my $0.02 worth. :-)  The front baffle CNC'ed with a CAD drawing included showing the speaker with a cut list and even a first time builder could build it.

It should be a very nice speaker!

Jim
    Hi Jim.
    Yeah, I agree. DIYer with a table-saw and a few clamps may not necessarily want or able to do a veneered panel with accurate cutouts. So, perhaps I will include it in the kit.
    It's an easy speaker to design. Both drivers overlap quite a bit and both have low distortions.
  • I place my vote for a CNC'd baffle . I think most DIYers can or have the ability to cut boxes but dont have the capabilities to route holes and flush mount drivers. This will make for a nice kit for sure Roman ! 
  • edited October 2018
    Even Home Depot will cut wood. It's the baffles that are the toughest. Also, don't forget Leland over at SpeakerHardware.com
  • Gowa said:
    Even Home Depot will cut wood. It's the baffles that are the toughest. Also, don't forget Leland over at SpeakerHardware.com
    Baffles and veneer are actually quite easy for me. I own a small woodworking shop and one of the tools is a DIY 4x8 CNC router.
    So, yeah, I think, I'll go with nice veneered baffles, included in the kit.
    Thanks guys!
  • Hey guys.
    Opinions needed.
    Dmitry has been asking me to come up with a kit or just a design for DIY crowd. Obviously, public design sells drivers etc.
    I stated working on the small monitor, using 8ohm GRT and 8ohm version of Vifa NE 149 (which is really excellent driver. Surprised it's not used in every other build.) Initially, I looked at PE cabinets as a target for front baffle size to make the design easier for DIY crowd with limited amount of tooling and desire to build complete cabinet. It looks to me tho that the pricing on PE boxes went up and they are much less attractive now VS a few years ago. Are they they still the bee's knees ?
    The other option is to come up with the complete pre-cut kit. If that's the case, what would make it attractive?
    Thanks for the ideas in advance! 
    How do you compare the ne149 to other higher end drivers like the satori and revelator offerings? It looks nice for sure. I've never measured the set i have. I am going to need to liquidate alot of my speaker stash here soon. Quite a few new unused drivers with the ne149-8 being one pair. 
  • D1PP1N said:

How do you compare the ne149 to other higher end drivers like the satori and revelator offerings? It looks nice for sure. I've never measured the set i have. I am going to need to liquidate alot of my speaker stash here soon. Quite a few new unused drivers with the ne149-8 being one pair. 
    I'd keep the NE. It's up there with Satoris and Revelators. May be slightly less excursion than Scans and ohhh so slightly lesser distortion numbers but the differences are minor. It's more about application.
    NE 149 is a good performer over all.

kennykjholtz
  • This looks good to me. :)

kennykJasonPrjj45
  • Ye
    Gowa said:
    This looks good to me. :)

Yeah, it actually does look good. :)
    Is this a 5" that's commercially available?
  • edited October 2018
    D1PP1N said:

@D1PP1N If you are getting rid of the NE149, i'll take it.
    kennykrjj45
  • @R-Carpenter Can I get a pair of the wave guides only in maple or any light colored wood?
  • ani_101 said:
    @R-Carpenter Can I get a pair of the wave guides only in maple or any light colored wood?
    Sure. But didn't you have your own CNC?
  • I do like MTM's maybe i should just add another pair and use that as a top of a 3way. 
    ani_101
  • ani_101 said:
    @R-Carpenter Can I get a pair of the wave guides only in maple or any light colored wood?
    Sure. But didn't you have your own CNC?
    I do have access to one, and getting it integrated in the baffle would be great. Wasn't sure if you are making the files available or just the add on waveguide.
  • If it's not for commercial use, I can give you the file.
  • Gowa said:
    ani_101 said:
    hmm... need something that can cross to a 8" mid at 1800 or so at 95-96db
    Would the Bozhen do that?
     The Bozhen is only like 90-92 dB IIRC.
  • If it's not for commercial use, I can give you the file.
    Not for commercial, only a single design
  • D1PP1N said:
    I do like MTM's maybe i should just add another pair and use that as a top of a 3way. 
    Hi Mike,
    I agree with Roman. I think the NE149 is an exceptional driver and way under rated. When I hear them back to back with Rev's, I usually lean to the NE's rather than Rev's. Ya, I know that's blasphemy but that's what my ears tell me.

Its a very, very nice driver, IMHO.

BTW, I have measurements, I think. If you want them, send me an email and I'll attach and return. I'm out of town until the end of the week.

Jim
    kennyk
  • jholtz said:
    D1PP1N said:
    I do like MTM's maybe i should just add another pair and use that as a top of a 3way. 
    Hi Mike,
    I agree with Roman. I think the NE149 is an exceptional driver and way under rated. When I hear them back to back with Rev's, I usually lean to the NE's rather than Rev's. Ya, I know that's blasphemy but that's what my ears tell me.

Its a very, very nice driver, IMHO.

BTW, I have measurements, I think. If you want them, send me an email and I'll attach and return. I'm out of town until the end of the week.

Jim
    Hi Jim

Can I get the measurements too?
     sending you a PM with email id.
  • I decided to make front panel the same size as Dayton 0.38ft^3 cabinet for added flexibility.
    The volume will work ok all tho the response I prefer is at 10l. Mounting holes can be added fairly easily as well as rabbet on the inside perimeter of the baffle. I guess, this would be for people who just want to put it together without making anything at all.

kennykD1PP1NJasonP
  • Beauties! Is that Mappa Burl or Bird's Eye?
  • TY
    Mappa. I like the marble-like contrast.
  • Looks stunning!

With the tweeter in a guide, is there any benefit of the horizontal offset?
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • edited October 2018
    TY
    GRT not unlike majority of other ribbons has a near 180* horizontal dispersion. Guide shapes it a bit narrower.
    Or did you mean, moving acoustic center back for easier phase integration?
    In the standard version, the distance from the face to the foil is 14mm. Waveguide adds another 15mm.
    Biggest benefit tho is lower distortions.

Silver1omo
  • JasonP said:
    Looks stunning!

With the tweeter in a guide, is there any benefit of the horizontal offset?
    Think Jason meant the tweeter horizontal offset. Any benefit to having the tweeter offset on the baffle since it's in a waveguide and most probably not going to see the baffle.
  • edited November 2018

GRT-145 with aluminum guide.
    Silver1omo