Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

GRT 145 Second Gen Viawave tweeter is getting tested and finalaized.

Comments

• Oh it will, just not going to :-)
    Silver1omo
    I have a signature.
  • Thanks to a heads up from Leon, I bought four of these this morning:

https://rhythmaudiodesign.com/collections/speaker-drivers/products/paper-woofer-r176-cp-08

Should be a pretty solid foundation for a tower speaker. I don't think they will play as low as the Eclipse woofers in the Taiga, however. They are probably at least as clean, though. They may even have better cone control - a known issue in the Eclipse drivers (which is why I tuned as low as I did in the Taiga - but that is another story).
    I have a signature.
  • Looking forward to your data on these. I've been thinking about them.
  • Looking forward to seeing some actual measurements. For the price couldn't go wrong. 
    I have a signature.
  • edited December 2017

I am remembering ProAc clones and D30 model.
  • Every year I say 'this is the last build I'm doing' and every year something comes along to pique my curiosity and creative juices.  This did it.  Thanks Roman for making these available!  I PROMISE to have a design ready for 2018 Iowa DIY.  
  • BTW it looks like JR's Rhythm drivers are now OOS.  The link is dead.

• MartyH said:
    BTW it looks like JR's Rhythm drivers are now OOS.  The link is dead.

Looks like the price may be gone for now, but the woofers not for long.

• Turn2 said:
    MartyH said:
    BTW it looks like JR's Rhythm drivers are now OOS.  The link is dead.

Looks like the price may be gone for now, but the woofers not for long.

https://rhythmaudiodesign.com/collections/speaker-drivers/products/paper-woofer-r176-cp-08
  • I was able to load four of the RAD woofers in a cart and get to checkout.  $40 for shipping to Chicago. Not buying them though.......Really don't need any more drivers.  Really.  No, really.
    My signature goes here
  • Apparently, I *did* need more drivers. Le sigh.

If I ever get a chance, I am going to build a metric fuckton of speakers, though. 

Turn2
    I have a signature.
  • Is Rival acoustics and Rythm Audio one in the same?
    http://rivalacoustics.com/woofers.htm
    https://rhythmaudiodesign.com/

It looks like they carry the same drivers 
  • Scratch that .... It looks like Rival caters to distributors and not individuals.
  • jr@mac said:
    Thanks to a heads up from Leon, I bought four of these this morning:

Should be a pretty solid foundation for a tower speaker. I don't think they will play as low as the Eclipse woofers in the Taiga, however. They are probably at least as clean, though. They may even have better cone control - a known issue in the Eclipse drivers (which is why I tuned as low as I did in the Taiga - but that is another story).

I succumbed to temptation and bought two this morning.  Should be fun!  Sale ends 12/21.
  • jr@mac said:
    Thanks to a heads up from Leon, I bought four of these this morning:

I succumbed to temptation and bought two this morning.  Should be fun!  Sale ends 12/21.
    Dang it Ed, your order is all it took to break me down.  I grabbed four.
  • We can all measure our drivers and see how consistent they are. Did anyone else buy any ?
  • Leon - are there any plans to sell the 5" model via Rhythm? 
    I have a signature.
  • OOPS! I hit that darn "purchase" button.  :s
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • jr@mac said:
    Leon - are there any plans to sell the 5" model via Rhythm? 
    +1
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • dcibel said:
    jr@mac said:
    Leon - are there any plans to sell the 5" model via Rhythm? 
    +1
    Rumor has it that they could be available in the Spring. YIPPIE!
  • edited February 2018

GRT is getting a waveguide as an option. It will be slightly larger diameter. 110mm.
    I will CNC these out of Walnut, Mahogany and a couple of other woods.
    The screw holes are not drawn yet. The guide will most likely attach directly to the face plate with the gasket in between. Mounting screw holes  on the guide will line up with mounting holes on the faceplate.
    Silver1omoGowakennyk
  • I would like one pair..... Would this allow for the XO to be at 1800? I am looking to cross over to an 8" driver
  • You can cross it at 1800hz now with a high order. just stay within safe voltage/f/

I am not a big fan of crossing that low myself tho. If it's a conventional design, I'd throw in a midrange. Crossing to 8" driver would be my way of pairing with GRT if it's a high sensitivity build or a full range/ribbon concept.

• 95+ db sensitivity, 8" mid, 15" woofer 8ohm nominal design. maybe 2k, but i run into directivity issues. not many tweeters that do so well.

I was considering the satori neo (be / non be) which also has 96db, but somebody on PE said it can't go below 2.5k. Else I'll have to go to a uber expensive Mundorf AMT or maybe the big RAAL ribbon.

• ani_101 said:
    95+ db sensitivity, 8" mid, 15" woofer 8ohm nominal design. maybe 2k, but i run into directivity issues. not many tweeters that do so well.

I was considering the satori neo (be / non be) which also has 96db, but somebody on PE said it can't go below 2.5k. Else I'll have to go to a uber expensive Mundorf AMT or maybe the big RAAL ribbon.

I didn't like the big RAAL below 2.5K either.
  • hmm... need something that can cross to a 8" mid at 1800 or so at 95-96db
  • Horn loaded compression driver?
  • Horn loaded compression driver?
    I agree.  They're not just for pro sound...
  • ani_101 said:
    hmm... need something that can cross to a 8" mid at 1800 or so at 95-96db
    Would the Bozhen do that?