Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Your favorite Peerless/Tymphany driver(s)

Branching off from the recent thread about how good the Peerless DX25BG60 ("Beast Mode") tweeter is (especially at the Madisound sale price), the (continuing) rumour of Peerless/Tymphany pulling out of the DIY market came up. I have a pair of the DX25's in storage so don't think I'll grab another.

But that got me thinking...if Peerless drivers go away are there any real gems that are worth grabbing now?

Comments

• SLS, XLS/XLSS, SDS, HDS are solid drivers. The other thing you have to know is that SS still makes some of these under the Discovery line, and are likely very similar. Tymphany makes a LOT of drivers.

a4eaudio
  • Tymphany makes a few of the pro drivers for Bose.

• Most Peerless/Vifa drivers are excellent value. Personally I would grab any HDS Exclusives available if you see them, but I think most are long gone now. XLS/XXLS subwoofers, DA25 tweeter, DA32TX tweeter, TC9/TG9 full range drivers...maybe splurge on a STW-350F...

Assuming that Scan-Speak remains available to DIY market, D2604/833000 is the Scan branded DX25 so that's always an option though you'll probably pay a bit more for them.

Steve_Lee
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • edited October 2022

The 830656 5" mid-woofer: nice sounding, easy to mount, relatively cheap. SDS160PRO, a 6.5" mid with 6mm of Xmax, also nice sounding and easy to mount. The SDS160 seems to be only available from Parts Express.

The former in Ron E's C-Notes MTM; in a two way bookshelf and Craig's Zenvos; and sometime in the New Year, will use both in Craig's Tre Stemmers. Thank you, gentlemen!

Have used the Vifa BC25TG in three projects and really like it, although it won't play loud it's fine for normal listening.

Geoff

• Some of my favourite Peerless drivers (except the Dayton AMT):

As well, my very first DIY speaker ever used Peerless drivers, back then it was CSX 850122 and 811815 dome tweeter.

Nicholas_23
  • Remember Digi-Key has 188 in stock STW-350F188PR01-04. 😆

• @hifiside said:
    Remember Digi-Key has 188 in stock STW-350F188PR01-04. 😆

Friend of mine was one of the engineers who developed that monster.

I have a signature.
  • Shouldve grabbed a pair of the corundums when they were available. Always a day late and a dollar short.

DanP
  • edited October 2022

I have a pair of the 1" and 1.25" corundums, xt25 double magnet, beast mode, and 7 or 9 of the DA25s. Which is a little ridiculous now that I look and count things up. :)

Nicholas_23Steve_Leehifiside
  • Craig might take some of the DA25s off your hands to help you clear some shelf space!

PWRRYD
  • Certainly. If you don't mind waiting until InDIYana I will buy a pair from you.

• edited October 2022

I have a pair of DA32TX, DA25TG, and DX25BG60.
    1ST is slated for use with W8-2096, 2nd was in the Zingers, and third is en route with a pair of Wavecor 4" glass fiber at LR2.
    I also have pair of Vifa XT25TG30, SC50, SC90, and a pair of Logic, and older Vifas like one of the SS Discovery lineup. I have 4 PL18 too!
    I see nothing wrong with this or David's stash.

• @Wolf said:
    I have a pair of DA32TX, DA25TG, and DX25BG60.
    1ST is slated for use with W8-2096, 2nd was in the Zingers, and third is en route with a pair of Wavecor 4" glass fiber at LR2.
    I also have pair of Vifa XT25TG30, SC50, SC90, and a pair of Logic, and older Vifas like one of the SS Discovery lineup. I have 4 PL18 too!
    I see nothing wrong with this or David's stash.

Not to be a one upper but I think I have you beat

• edited October 2022

This is only the Vifa/Peerless stuff. I have a lot more.
    I forgot, I have XLS12, NE180-4, TC180, and likely a few more I can't recall at the moment.

And- I've USED a lot of them too in addition to these.

• Not to saturate but lets not forget wavecor , previous engineer for vifa drivers.

• I have a pair of Wavecor 2", the 4" previously mentioned, but that's it.
    The thing about WAVECOR drivers is they sound clean and benign and very neutral for the most part. Good motors and low HD, but the response can be fairly wobbly at times like the 30mm tweeters. They are also fairly highly priced in some cases.

• @PWRRYD said:
    Certainly. If you don't mind waiting until InDIYana I will buy a pair from you.

I'm using 5 for sure although it may be a long way off. I had plans for those others but haven't decided. I won't do anything before InDIYana so if I decide not to use them I'll give them to you (like you gave the MCMs too me).

• @Wolf said:
    I have a pair of Wavecor 2", the 4" previously mentioned, but that's it.
    The thing about WAVECOR drivers is they sound clean and benign and very neutral for the most part. Good motors and low HD, but the response can be fairly wobbly at times like the 30mm tweeters. They are also fairly highly priced in some cases.

yeah , had some wavecor tweeters I posted in the past that werent up to snuff . Solen made it right but was sent a different model number . Yet to measure them

• @a4eaudio said:

@PWRRYD said:
    Certainly. If you don't mind waiting until InDIYana I will buy a pair from you.

I'm using 5 for sure although it may be a long way off. I had plans for those others but haven't decided. I won't do anything before InDIYana so if I decide not to use them I'll give them to you (like you gave the MCMs too me).

Such good peoples on here , I love it

• @a4eaudio said:
    I have a pair of the 1" and 1.25" corundums, xt25 double magnet, beast mode, and 7 or 9 of the DA25s. Which is a little ridiculous now that I look and count things up. :)

Is that really any more ridiculous that me buying 10 ox20's from you to go along with the 4 dx20's, 1 pair of XT25TG (single magnet), 1 pair of flangeless XT25's, pair of OT19's that I currently have on hand. That's also not counting another all-Peerless compact 3-way project, some more TC9's and a pair of NE265's.

I need something to give me a shock every time my finger hovers above the "add to cart" button for the beast mode tweeters from Madisound's sale page...

Steve_Lee
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Although I did use the term ridiculous, I'm quite sure I have one of the least ridiculous stashes compared to a lot of people here.

• Don't worry, there's still time to catch up.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • I've got Vifa NE123W - NE180W and NE315W - always planned on doing a design called ViViVi or something. They are still on the shelf.
    I'd previously used Peerless HDS 4 inch woofer as a mid. Loved it.
    Looked at PE 4 inch mid woofers today and was not impressed at all.
    But I found a Wavecor 4 inch midwoofer for $61 that I might use in my next 3 way build.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Is it peerless show off day?

• Evidently we are not peerless . . .

• @hifiside said:
    Is it peerless show off day?

My photos are looking pretty lonely up there...

hifiside
  • @rjj45 said:
    always planned on doing a design called ViViVi or something.

Viva la Vifa!

rjj45
  • My entire inventory of Peerless consists of one pair of vintage 1980's 10" woofers in need of a re-foaming operation, one pair of DA32TX, one pair of DA25TX, and one orphan DA25TX with bent frame picked up off the free table at a Mensicus GTG. I also have one vintage 1970's rectangular frame one inch soft dome tweeter that I think is from Peerless. So, I guess I had better get over to Madisound and stock up on Beast Mode before Scott cleans them out! :o

• I have 4 850439 6.5" HDS woofers, 4 830586 8" SLS woofers, and 5 830376 6.5" Nomex woofers. At some point I'll part out the spare Krystal speaker to recover the 2 NLA 5.25" HDS woofers. As most of you are aware I'm a big fan of the HDS woofers. I'm going to miss them. Anyone want to arrange a 5000 unit group buy? :)

Ron

• @rjj45 said:
    I'd previously used Peerless HDS 4 inch woofer as a mid. Loved it.

Is that the 830870 or something different? I went through all of the peerless drivers at PE and the only one that caught my eye was the 830870 HDS 4" on clearance for $31.