Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Your favorite Peerless/Tymphany driver(s)

Comments

• edited October 2022

@dcibel said:

@hifiside said:
    Is it peerless show off day?

My photos are looking pretty lonely up there...

I did inventory this morning. This is all that’s left. 2 bottom rows, not the pink boxes.

6thplanetugly_wooferSteve_LeePWRRYDWolf
  • This is a sickness I can relate too ^

• I can vouch this is the tip of the iceberg in Brad's shop... It is a magical place.

hifisideugly_wooferSteve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • @a4eaudio said:

@rjj45 said:
    I'd previously used Peerless HDS 4 inch woofer as a mid. Loved it.

Is that the 830870 or something different? I went through all of the peerless drivers at PE and the only one that caught my eye was the 830870 HDS 4" on clearance for $31.

I used the P835023 4 inch aluminum
    Man, I loved that sound quality!
    I've got a new project in the works, and almost bought 3 of the those P830870 - but on close inspection
    for my project, I'm going to spend a bit more for a Wavecor 4 inch. But I'm sure the 830870 would work great
    as a pure mid.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • @a4eaudio said:

@rjj45 said:
    I'd previously used Peerless HDS 4 inch woofer as a mid. Loved it.

Is that the 830870 or something different? I went through all of the peerless drivers at PE and the only one that caught my eye was the 830870 HDS 4" on clearance for $31.

I think you might have heard these a few years ago in Indy. I love these little buggers:

• I really like the DX20BF00-04, 0.75-inch tweeter and SLS-85S25CP04-04, 3.5-inch woofer. After that TC6FC00-04s with the neo magnet, and the TC9FC18-08. I have the 4 ohm version waiting for a good project.

I'm not a fan of the truncated woofer frames so I've never done a project with any peerless woofer over 3.5 inches.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @jhollander said:
    ....and SLS-85S25CP04-04, 3.5-inch woofer.

Too late for this one...MOQ 1000 pieces.

• edited October 2022

12” XXLS for sealed 2cu ft boxes: P830845
    Perfect in pairs for 4 ohm sensitivity and 92-93dB/2.83V for wooferin’

10” XLS 830452 for tiny subwoofer- the first tiny subs before tiny subs were are thing.

NE123W-08 a wonderful midrange between 300Hz to 3KHz- a gem in the rough.

Has anyone seen independent measurements of the STW350?

rjj45Steve_Lee
  • Who is the fat chick on the TV?

6thplanet
  • Fat?

Don’t tell Taylor Swift…

Steve_Lee
  • She'll wreck your tweeters . . .

• @a4eaudio said:

@jhollander said:
    ....and SLS-85S25CP04-04, 3.5-inch woofer.

Too late for this one...MOQ 1000 pieces.

Digikey has them
    https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/peerless-by-tymphany/SLS-85S25CP04-04/6211137

• Anyone use the 830668 10" Paper Cone SLS Subwoofer?

• Those are the woofers in Paul Carmody's Tarkus speaker.

• I have four of the 830668 on my shelf. Work great for a 3 way in a sealed box.

• edited October 2022

@jhollander said:
    Anyone use the 830668 10" Paper Cone SLS Subwoofer?

I used them in the Lydias and the Allisons.

Ron

Edit The MTM woofers are Peerless 850439.

rjj45Steve_Lee
  • The important question is: how was the wine, looks like a good Bordeaux!

Geoff

• @GeoffMillar said:
    The important question is: how was the wine, looks like a good Bordeaux!

Geoff

I bet that wine was good :)

Pictures don't do Ron's work justice. Every one of Ron's that I've seen is an Amish type of great craftsmanship. And his demo tracks are epic too!

Silver1omo
  • Thanks for the compliments. The speakers were wedding presents for 2 sisters and I did everything but the legs and tops which were done by the father of the brides. I cut the woofer rebate after the cabinets were veneered and the legs were installed. He also built the storage cabinets with the tambour doors. When I presented them to Allison and her new husband he teared up and thought they were the nicest gift he'd ever received. While we aren't related I've known Lydia and Allison since they were babies and they are like family to me.

It was a Bordeaux and might have been a gift. My sister was in the restaurant business and went to lots of wine tastings so she knows what's good.

Ron

Steve_LeeTurn2
  • @Ron_E said:
    ... When I presented them to Allison and her new husband he teared up and thought they were the nicest gift he'd ever received.

I've seen a few stories like this here and at PETT. I love this hobby! Thanks for sharing the story behind the speakers!

• This thread has inspired me... I am seriously considering building a Peerless tribute project. It'll be big, it'll be loud, it'll be fun, it'll use up a bunch of my Peerless drivers on hand.

Thinking a MTMWW. Tweeters will be the Beast Modes of course (DX25BG60). Woofers will be the 830668 10" in separate bass bins. Sealed and stuffed, maybe even with some DIY aperiodic vents.

So that just leaves the mids. I have enough of the 830656's to do this. But I am kinda leaning towards using the old buyout 835-004 woofers (I have 8 on my shelf). This is the woofer I used in my "Industrials" project and LouC used in his Lecbos.

Silver1omoGeoffMillara4eaudio
  • ☝️I like his thinking☝️

• I'm also planning an all Peerless build! A WMT using a 830869 8" Nomex woofer, 832873 5.25" Nomex, and either the XT25SC90 or NE19VTS-04.

At the rate I've been building lately, it might be done in time for Iowa 2024..... :p

rjj45PWRRYD
  • edited November 2022

Well here in Oz, we’re slower to get something, so slower to run out if something. Some of your favourite Peerless drivers are still available but I’ve never sampled- 830883, 831882 (6.5 & 5” HDS Exclusives), 4” HDS GFC, 4” & 6.5” HDS Poly DA25TX, 8” HDS Nomex 830869, SLS 8-12”, FSL 12-15”, TC9 and TG9, complete NE range

Strange times now- when price creep means that Dayton drivers are now more expensive than Peerless !

• Has anyone removed the Beast Mode (DX25BG60) face plates? Mine appear to be glued on (as well as the 3 T10 screws) Wondering if they could be fitted to a waveguide.

• The faceplate is pretty flat so it should be possible to mount a wg with an extended throat, which could be accomplished by milling the back of a wg leaving only the area of the throat that would extend into the opening for the dome. I'm not say it would be as easy as bolting on a manufactured wg, but it looks doable.

• I removed a beast mode face plate, 3D printed an adapter, and mounted it to a WG 148.

• edited November 2022

Here is the model on thingiverse, use the xt25 version.
    Note, I didn't create this awesome adapter.
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4714668

• I removed the faceplate and painted it back in 2019 and don't remember any issues.
    I know dcibel used that adapter on thingiverse for the XT25 and Visaton waveguide.

• edited November 2022

Sure did, haven't used the tweeter in a build yet, but I've got it mounted to a WG ready to go. The adapter works great, I recall having to open the notches for the terminals a bit wider, but I think the model may have been undated since I printed it. Minor details..

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.