Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Your favorite Peerless/Tymphany driver(s)

Comments

• @PWRRYD - I know you had some of the Visaton waveguides and pretty sure you have not used them yet. If you get the faceplate off and the Beast Mode and it fits just like the XT25, I got a 3D printer last xmas that I've never hooked up and I've promised myself to get it running and print something, even if just a test, before xmas 2022. So I could print the adapter for you, assuming you don't have one or easy access to one.

Silver1omoPWRRYD
  • Chuck used this tweeter with a waveguide in the Veritas build. No adapter, just a home made bolt on.

• @dcibel said:
    Sure did, haven't used the tweeter in a build yet, but I've got it mounted to a WG ready to go. The adapter works great, I recall having to open the notches for the terminals a bit wider, but I think the model may have been undated since I printed it. Minor details..

Would that adapter work for any of the XT25 variants?
    Thinking that perhaps I'll try the double magnet version.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited November 2022

I would expect it to work with any of the tweeters that share that weird face-plate arrangement. XT25, DX25, R2604, D2604, I think all will work with this adapter. I've got the original single magnet pre-Tymphany "made in Denmark" Vifa XT25 that fit just fine.

rjj45Steve_Lee
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.

• My faceplates are glued on.

I have a signature.
  • So? Cut the glue.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • @dcibel said:
    So? Cut the glue.

Wish I'd thought of that.

hifiside
    I have a signature.
  • I was inspired and bought 8 of these today https://www.parts-express.com/Peerless-SDS-135F25CP02-04-5-1-4-Paper-Cone-Woofer-264-1658
    I hope I made the right decision =)

hifiside
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I've got a pair of those as well jhollander, and I had modeled and designed a small desk-top subwoofer with them but never completed the project - they don't need much cabinet volume and only a small port.

• I'm curious to see what you come up with, John. That raw response looks a little challenging.

• 442 project, 4 per side in 38-40 liters F3 of 35, 4 mids and maybe 2 tweeters if I can't find one with decent sensitivity.

• WWMMTTMMWW?

• MM TT MM WWWW

• Sooooo you're finally doing a project with Peerless truncated frame woofers... Hmmm? Can't be any worse than those fugly Dayton ND frames ;)

If you put those four woofers in series/parallel you should end up right around 86 dB/m/2.83V after full BSL depending on your baffle width and xo point. Shouldn't be too hard to find a tweeter to keep up with that. Whatcha planning for mids?

• What those frames are truncated? crap... :p

With floor I've got 89 at 2.83V. I want a tweeter in the low 90's so I can correct any dips. If I go open baffle mids I can use a rear mounted tweeter to improve the power response. Mids are Peerless TC something tbd, tweeters were going to be OT19s. I did like that little Radian we heard in Iowa.

This was going to be project 2, but it's more interesting than something compromised for Indy.

• Agreed. My Indy theme project is no more. Just not worth it...

• @jhollander said:
    What those frames are truncated? crap... :p

I was going to offer to send you a router template to make rebates with but then I took a better look at the driver and it has a stamped frame. They're designed to be flush mounted and have a thin flange that tapers to the baffle.

Ron

rjj45Steve_Lee
  • The flush-mounting is great, I'm hopeless at doing rebates even with the Jasper jig!

Geoff

• Oh they are getting rear mounted, along with all the mids and tweeter(s). That's the design vib for this speaker.

Steve_Lee
  • @a4eaudio said:
    @PWRRYD - I know you had some of the Visaton waveguides and pretty sure you have not used them yet. If you get the faceplate off and the Beast Mode and it fits just like the XT25, I got a 3D printer last xmas that I've never hooked up and I've promised myself to get it running and print something, even if just a test, before xmas 2022. So I could print the adapter for you, assuming you don't have one or easy access to one.

Hi David,

Thanks for the offer but my office mate (our IT manager) is into 3D printing and is printing me a test piece this weekend.

I got the faceplate off one of my Beast Modes with no issues. As dcibel pointed out it has the exact same front profile as the XT25 so it will fit great in the Visaton WG.

• @jhollander said:
    What those frames are truncated? crap... :p

With floor I've got 89 at 2.83V. I want a tweeter in the low 90's so I can correct any dips. If I go open baffle mids I can use a rear mounted tweeter to improve the power response. Mids are Peerless TC something tbd, tweeters were going to be OT19s. I did like that little Radian we heard in Iowa.

This was going to be project 2, but it's more interesting than something compromised for Indy.

The Beast Mode is nearly 94 dB/m/2.83v. If you want some rear radiation you could knock off the rear chamber like Brad did.

• @PWRRYD said:
    Agreed. My Indy theme project is no more. Just not worth it...

I have a similar issue. I have an 8" two-way project in the queue, but it involves the Seos 8 waveguide and I'm not particularly interested in deviating from that to conform to contest rules. Indy is iffy for me anyway (and will be for the next few years) due to family schedule conflicts, but if I attend, I might bring it anyway to use as a comparison.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Same here. My 10" two way will be sporting a wave guide so it won't qualify for the theme, but I'll bring it just to demo it.

• I would still really like to hear them both, so please do. (Hope to hear them at some point, Scott.) Just don't see them as failures.
    If it works out that a 'theme build in progress' requires deviation for further optimization and cannot be finalized within the contest rules, then it could be very beneficial to the other attendees to see and hear the reasons why in these particular cases. It's also not a detriment to a designer if it was not possible in their particular case. Variables are many in these endeavors, and learning what did or did not work for whatever the reason could benefit a lot of present people in the hobby.
    Let it be also understood, that 2023 year's theme could be considered a pretty tall order, and likely not all will succeed. Tweeters' suspensions and extension can only go so far. I am glad and thankful the people who entertained the challenge and accepted it gave it a shot in the first place.
    Hope to see you all next year. I hope to finalize the plans late Dec or early Jan.

• The beast mode tweeter in a 2.25"deep, 9.5"OD WG is pure bliss. How many soft dome tweets can cross at 1k, 3rd order electric and still more than keep up with a 10" woofer? One of the easiest tweeters I have ever used.

rjj45Steve_Lee
  • @isaeagle4031 said:
    The beast mode tweeter in a 2.25"deep, 9.5"OD WG is pure bliss. How many soft dome tweets can cross at 1k, 3rd order electric and still more than keep up with a 10" woofer? One of the easiest tweeters I have ever used.

Which WG?

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • @rjj45 said:

@isaeagle4031 said:
    The beast mode tweeter in a 2.25"deep, 9.5"OD WG is pure bliss. How many soft dome tweets can cross at 1k, 3rd order electric and still more than keep up with a 10" woofer? One of the easiest tweeters I have ever used.

Which WG?

Custom milled directly into the baffle.2.25" at the throat, 1.5 at the woofer. MLTL cabinet MEGA standmount.

rjj45
  • I can't see a lot of difference between the "regular" XT25 versions and the Beast Mode (Double magnet) XT25 - is the Beast worth the extra price?

• @rjj45 said:
    I can't see a lot of difference between the "regular" XT25 versions and the Beast Mode (Double magnet) XT25 - is the Beast worth the extra price?

They use a different motor and are slightly more sensitive. Different "dome" material, as well. Really, they are two different tweeters as far as all that goes. The differences are like the differences between any other two tweeters.

As far as "worth it", that depends. The motor is closer to Beast Mode advertised than to old school XT25. Lower Re, but otherwise very similar. I would argue if you need a couple db of sensitivity to match or to burn, it is worth it.

rjj45
    I have a signature.