Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• I weaned myself off of MS-Office once I left the workforce - it was tough - especially quitting Outlook.
    I now use/have used Libre Office and Open Office - both of which are free and fully functional office applications.

For email I use Thunderbird which is also free.

All of them support the same features as MS products but the UI may be different and may take some getting used too.

I could not stand to have my files subjugated to an annual contract fee any longer.

ugly_woofer
  • Well after some research my SSD is still under warranty. So I'll suck it up and repair the thing. Swapping out HDs is a PITA...

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @jhollander said:
    Well after some research my SSD is still under warranty. So I'll suck it up and repair the thing. Swapping out HDs is a PITA...

Most SSD companies have software to clone your old drive with if it isn't dead. All you need is a cable.

https://newegg.com/p/pl?d=usb+to+sata+cable&Order=4&N=4841

Ron

Steve_Lee
  • All this computer talk....my laptop blue screened last night. Mother fucker. Thanks guys!!

PWRRYDkenrhodesjr@macugly_wooferKornbreadSteve_Lee
  • edited October 2023

Not all laptops are 3 year obsolete - a lot like desktops if you buy high end you get performance and upgradeability. My MSI has a 10th gen I7, GeForce 1660 gpu with 6gb dedicated memory, 32gb RAM, a 512gb NVME primary drive and a 2TB NVME backup drive. I bought it because I was tired of desktop cable management. I literally now have a short HDMI cable from laptop to 27" monitor, and power cords for monitor and laptop. I bought it two years ago, still running like a champ. I plan on upgrading to a 32" curved monitor at some point - wait and see what cyber deals happen around thanksgiving.

I echo using the websites like CDKeys etc. I have upgraded 2 desktops to Win10 and built my daughters high end gaming rig like for something like $12 each. I also bought keys for several of the Corel software titles, although I struggle with using them.

I run Office365 on my laptop, my wifes desktop, my daughters PC and my future son-in-laws PC for $150 year. Install the apps to your desktop and enjoy the 1TB of cloud. Using CDKeys, I added MS Project and Visio 2022 (I think that is the versions) on my laptop for less than $50.

I have a signature.
  • Don't get me wrong, my rig has already been left in the dust by the new hardware out there but it is still 100% usable for anything but the newest games. I don't game, so I don't currently care. When 8K is the standard streaming format I will upgrade. Until then, I do not foresee any issues.

Take my wifes PC for example. I built it ten years ago and built it very high end for the time. It is still completely usable with modern software including streaming video. It pays to pay.

Colonel7
    I have a signature.
  • edited October 2023

I also have a mechless HTPC that I sometimes use to play my library of ripped DVD/Bluray. It uses relatively low end hardware (due to the low TDP) but still streams video and the integrated GPU has no issues with 1080P playback. Currently running Win7 but will upgrade to Win10 in near future. Makes a decent digital front end as well.

I have a signature.
  • @6thplanet said:
    All this computer talk....my laptop blue screened last night. Mother fucker. Thanks guys!!

Any time, brother. Just let us know when you want another blue screen and we will be sure to start up a conversation :-P

6thplanetSteve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • Got a toilet with a ghost flush. Every five minutes or so Ill get a ghost flush form the toilet last about 3 seconds. Ive replaced the fill valve , didnt fix , replaced the flapper didnt fix. Ive adjusted the float ( not the ball type ) still getting the annoying ghost flush. Not sure what else to look at ? I dont see any leaks externally .

• Call in the priest

5 minutes is pretty quick. I imagine you should be able to notice a trickle disturbing the water in the bowl?

• Maybe flush the feed line? Sounds like contaminate getting into the valve that stops the fill into the tank. Like he said, should see water movement.

• Thanks for the input guys , so I didnt see any water movement in the the bowl so worked my way backwards. Took the flap back out to inspect and noticed the seal on the flapper was kicked out to one side a little bit. Pulled on it and tried to center it the best I could , reinstalled and fixed. Been quiet for the last 15 minutes now. Thanks all.

6thplanet
  • Yep usually the flapper. Mine tops off maybe once or twice a day depending if it gets refilled from a flush very often. So infrequent I don't want to mess with it. I used to use the bleach pucks in the tank and those would wreak havoc on the flappers. I'd be replacing them every 6mo. Got sick of that.

Nicholas_23
  • edited October 2023

The dreaded 'Blue Screen of Death' doesn't necessarily mean your PC is going to croak, it's sometimes just a driver update issue. I hate that feeling of dread you get when it leaps out at you, but.

I had a Windows 7 HP laptop which seemed to know when I was doing something important and instantly gave me the BSOD. I got sick of it and my local PC shop updated all the drivers for me free, which worked for another year or so and then the motherboard carked it.

One problem with older computers is that software and driver updates are NLA (gee, thanks Microsoft) so you're forced to update everything.

We don't use any third party storage services and just keep everything backed up on removable drives.

Geoff

• @DrewsBrews said:
    Yep usually the flapper. Mine tops off maybe once or twice a day depending if it gets refilled from a flush very often. So infrequent I don't want to mess with it. I used to use the bleach pucks in the tank and those would wreak havoc on the flappers. I'd be replacing them every 6mo. Got sick of that.

I've had the flapper seat wear out. No new rubber flapper would seal tight. It's a bit more work because you have to remove the tank but that's the only way to replace the seat. That said... NOTHING is worse than having to replace the wax ring :s

Steve_LeeNicholas_23
  • edited October 2023

I like that they color the wax close enough so you can convince yourself everything is just wax that you are removing ;)

PWRRYDNicholas_23Steve_LeesilverD
  • Looks like the mother board failed, he's checking on possibly just putting my HD in another laptop.

Steve_Lee
  • @PWRRYD said:

@DrewsBrews said:
    Yep usually the flapper. Mine tops off maybe once or twice a day depending if it gets refilled from a flush very often. So infrequent I don't want to mess with it. I used to use the bleach pucks in the tank and those would wreak havoc on the flappers. I'd be replacing them every 6mo. Got sick of that.

I've had the flapper seat wear out. No new rubber flapper would seal tight. It's a bit more work because you have to remove the tank but that's the only way to replace the seat. That said... NOTHING is worse than having to replace the wax ring :s

That is why you use the "Better than Wax" silicone product. I was having issues with the wax and couldn't get it right, then I found this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Fluidmaster-7530P8-Universal-Better-Wax-Free/dp/B00R7D35TQ/ref=asc_df_B00R7D35TQ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193994427542&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7524966183036385004&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016290&hvtargid=pla-312240365036&psc=1

No problems since! Highly recommended!!!

6thplaneta4eaudiojhollander
  • @PWRRYD said:

That said... NOTHING is worse than having to replace the wax ring :s

Just did that earlier this year when we had new flooring installed. The hardest part for us was getting the toilet down on the flange bolts without moving them out of position. That took a few tries.

• @Tom_S said:

@PWRRYD said:

That said... NOTHING is worse than having to replace the wax ring :s

Just did that earlier this year when we had new flooring installed. The hardest part for us was getting the toilet down on the flange bolts without moving them out of position. That took a few tries.

Early in my career as the FNG it was often me who did stuff like plumbing, painting, and wall repairs. I got over the queasy feelings very early on. I was so glad when I got some time under my belt and I could play with machines and do electrical stuff. Even conquered my fear of heights - at least I had conquered it. That tumble down the stairs brought it roaring back.

I have a signature.
  • I really enjoy Rick Beato's videos about music: a musician and record producer, he loves his subject. I particularly like his 'Top 20s' and 'What Makes This Song Great'.

Here's a video on hearing, bit rates and production:

Geoff

tajanes6thplanet
  • @GeoffMillar said
    Here's a video on hearing, bit rates and production:

Geoff

So, if a ribbon tweeter plays (above 16KHz) in the woods, and there are only a group of 50+ yr old speaker builders around…

DrewsBrewsPWRRYDugly_wooferSteve_Leejr@mac
  • Interesting that so many music producers or engineers are not 'young people', yet records produced by people like George Martin, Rudy Van Gelder, Glyn Johns, Jeff Lynne, Bernie Grundman or Eddie Kramer sound just fine.

Geoff

• The spectrum analyzer is your friend . . .

• Working on front end for Iowa.

Upgrading ol HTPC to Win10. Will have that and the Oppo as a preamp. Should be good to go.

hifiside
    I have a signature.
  • Is Jason not coming this year?

• @ugly_woofer said:
    Is Jason not coming this year?

Yes, he us just very busy with work so does not have time to get everything together.

I have a signature.
  • It also means we can spin physical media if we want.

I have a signature.
  • Does a flash drive still work this year?

Jim

• As in USB style? Yes.

jholtz
    I have a signature.