Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• "Custom blinds"

jr@macjhollanderSteve_Leekenrhodes
  • How do you like the Hercules? I am looking at a new miter saw and this is on my list to research.

I have a signature.
  • At home I have a Hercules 20V cordless 1/2" drill and a compact impact driver. Honestly I like them as well, if not better, than the 18V Milwaukee cordless tools we have a work. And I can buy four Hercules 2 AH 20V batteries for the same price as one Milwaukee 18V 2 AH battery.

• edited October 2023

@jr@mac said:
    How do you like the Hercules? I am looking at a new miter saw and this is on my list to research.

Feels nice to use with a ramping startup so it doesn't jump so bad. The motor is not quite as loud as my previous saw. The detents on the angle relative to the fence is done with a stainless plate instead of cutouts molded into the base. Which seemed potentially more accurate and possibly slightly adjustable to dial it in. But It is still a jobsite type saw so it is not perfect. The blade still jumps sideways a tad when running compared to when the blade is stationary. I had hoped a non direct drive would not do that. The fence seemed good and straight at first, but now that I've used it a bit I think it does have a slight "V" in it comparing each side. I need to see if I can adjust the vertical default angle as it is a bit off 90 compared to the base. Not the end of the world for 3/4" material, but if stacking multiples to chop down the angle will be an issue.

Probably typical fine tuning that would need to be done on any saw, but I haven't experienced "good" stuff to compare to.

jr@macSteve_Lee
  • All good stuff to know! Thank you.

I have a signature.
  • @DrewsBrews said:

I need to see if I can adjust the vertical default angle as it is a bit off 90 compared to the base. Not the end of the world for 3/4" material, but if stacking multiples to chop down the angle will be an issue.

Here's how to adjust the vertical angle: LINK. The saw is on sale ($299 regularly $399) until 10/15 so you'll have to move fast!

Steve_Lee
  • edited October 2023

@Ed_Perkins said:

@DrewsBrews said:

I need to see if I can adjust the vertical default angle as it is a bit off 90 compared to the base. Not the end of the world for 3/4" material, but if stacking multiples to chop down the angle will be an issue.

Here's how to adjust the vertical angle: LINK. The saw is on sale ($299 regularly $399) until 10/15 so you'll have to move fast!

Aw sweet! I was hoping there was an adjustment that could be made under there!

Since the saw was floating around in my head I went out, did some adjustments, and cut some shelving boards for the next build. For a quick vertical adjustment I just disengaged the detent and used that big aluminum tri-wing locking screw on the back to hold it in place. For the angle relative to the fence I loosened the four chunky torx head screws on the detent plate and bumped the floating table until it was true 90 and tightened the screws back down. Seems to be cutting square and plumb now.

I put the straight edge on the fence again and it still looks very flat.. Much much better than my previous saw. Must have just been the bow in the trim boards that I was noticing previously.

Also I'm not noticing the blade jump sideways now.. or atleast so slight it is hard to detect. Maybe things just needed to bed in from a little use. Though to be fair it was only doing so ~1/32" or less before.

So all in all I'm liking it better and better. And once I go back and make that adjustment in the video it will be soo nice to have something repeatable!

Looks like the matching stand with extension support rollers is also $150 again too.

• I spent some time putting my 1300 or so CD's in alphabetical order last week. They used to be ordered by genre but over the years got jumbled. I buy most of my CD's used and found a couple of duplicates I didn't know I had. This was the rough sorting table.

Ron

Steve_LeeKornbreadGeoffMillarjr@mackenrhodestajanesjhollander6thplanetSilver1omotktran
  • Night Ranger Rules!

• Van Halen, Bon Jovi, etc. Good stuff!

• If I tried to do that, I'd end up with piles of Hendrix, Beatles and Dylan to the ceiling and much smaller piles of "other".....

Geoff

Steve_Lee6thplanet
  • I got to hang out with Night Ranger for a few hours one night. A friend and her hubby own a medium sized production company based out of Sioux Falls and they largely do fairs, festivals, rallies, large bars, etc. I ran sound for a band called Trapt one night, so got to hang out with them for awhile. Got hammered with the drummer and bass player from Steppenwolf. Bullshitted with Dwight Yoakam. He's a super chill dude. He played the Corn Palace (look it up, cooler than you think) one night.

I don't go to live music or mix any more - protecting my hearing as I get older - so do not get to mingle with rock stars these days.

kenrhodes6thplanetSteve_Lee
    I have a signature.

• Made some progress on our home bar this morning.

kenrhodesSteve_Leeugly_woofer
    I have a signature.
  • edited October 2023

@jr@mac said:
    Made some progress on our home bar this morning.

what a man will do to keep the better half happy

• @tajanes said:

@jr@mac said:
    Made some progress on our home bar this morning.

what a man will do to keep the better half happy

This bar is my creation, sir. She's along for the ride.

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    I don't go to live music or mix any more - protecting my hearing as I get older - so do not get to mingle with rock stars these days.

I did not protect my hearing the other night.

jr@mackenrhodes
  • Not sure if I've posted this before, but in my early 20s I went to a Cheap Trick gig and it was incredibly loud.

On the way home the muffler on my car cracked and I couldn't hear it!

Geoff

jr@mac6thplaneta4eaudio
  • Cheap Trick is from Rockford IL (where I've lived my whole life). I see Rick Neilson (guitarist) around once in a while.

jr@mackenrhodes6thplanetBilletGeoffMillar
  • edited October 2023

Finally rounding the bend on the never ending room rehab that I ripped off and rebuilt the roof and two exterior walls. Got to use the new miter saw on the 37 pieces of trim and baseboard (for a 8'x10' room lol). The home is over 100yr old, so I'm trying to bring back some charm that the previous owners totally neutered. Taller baseboards and a bit more trim work, without going overboard.

Just need to do finish filling of trim gaps and touchups. Then hook up power to the room.

jr@mackenrhodesSteve_Lee6thplanetBilletjhollanderColonel7R-Carpenter
  • Looks really, really nice.
    I’m a fan of the wall color as it gets highlighted by your trim detail, and the wood floor.

• Nice trim details

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @PWRRYD said:

I see Rick Neilson (guitarist) around once in a while.

Rick played on John Lennon's Double Fantasy sessions, although his parts were not used at the time. They were later released as outtakes and IMHO, were much better than what was on that album; much more funky.

Bun E Carlos is a great drummer. When asked how he stayed fit while chain smoking, he replied "I eat only the finest cheese burgers"

Geoff

tajanesSteve_Lee
  • Went to my 30 year HS reunion last night. I grew up in a kinda small town, graduating class of about 180. I was friends with people in most of the clicks in school.

Overall had a great time! As expected, time takes it's toll. Surprisingly there were some hotties that are still hotties, but most have aged into our parents, lol. Not that it's a bad thing. It was really good to talk to the kids I grew up with, even the ones I didn't hang out with and finding out what they thought about me back then. Catching up on memories long forgotten was way more fun than I anticipated. The meet happened at a BBQ joint, which a few of us closed down at 10:30 (stated at 6), then met back up at a local Eagles club till it closed at 2. Haven't done that in a long time, fantastic night to remember.

We all came to the conclusion that we shouldn't wait another 10 years to do it again. They put out an invite for the 40 year anniversary at the same time as our 30 and no one responded. Plan is to do another gathering in 5 years.

jr@macugly_wooferSteve_Lee
  • 3 years til my 30 hits...
    Didn't have a 5, went to the 10 and left early. Didn't go to the 20.

High School was not the best time for me. Did well with learning, and unfortunately had lots of homework. Outside of band, which even most of them weren't my 'friends', I felt like the outcast dork that most everyone knew by name. Bullying was common in my direction. I had friends, but at that time none I would call close. I felt most of my 262 classmates needed to grow up. I did learn how to network my studies with a few classmates, and IIRC was in the top 30 in my class.
    I was also smaller built in school, not the bigger guy you have met, and didn't fill out and stop growing until about 24.
    I feel I'm much better off now than I was then. I make my living, I actually like my job that suits me well. I have my own loving family, and I enjoy the audio hobby. I also have a bunch of great friends who enjoy it too. I walk by former classmates now, and a lot of the time I know who they are, but they do not know or acknowledge me. I am okay with that.
    I remember a comment left by a classmate at my grad party, "Show them what you can do." Haven't seen him since, but it definitely still gives me motivation.

Steve_Leekenrhodes6thplanettktran
  • I have never been invited to a reunion for whatever reasons. When I was in high school, I played football. I was a first string left guard as a sophomore - most of my friends were a couple years older than me, and there were not that many to begin with. High school for me consisted of ULE (Unique Learning Experiences - gifted program), football, wrestling, boxing (outside of school), and being unbelievably bored with the standard curriculum. To this day I respect anyone who was able to get good grades across the board. I only aced classes I enjoyed. The rest I did miserably at lol. Like, fuck Trigonometry at the time. When I got to college, trig all of a sudden made sense (yay electronics classes) but seriously...

I do run in to a few high school classmates and they always ask why I do not attend the events. I try to explain I have not been invited for whatever reasons, but ultimately tell them I don't really give a shit - I have met better people outside of high school. Probably why I will not get invited back.

I also married a talented hottie, so there is that.

FYI, was my 30th this past June.

6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • My 20 would have been last year. I pretty much have 0 interest as my experience was not all that unlike Ben's. I couldn't wait to get out of what I called the "social meat grinder".

6thplanet
  • edited October 2023

Favourite (not "best") Live Pop/Rock Albums?

A good live album is a great listen, here are some of my top and regular plays, FWIW. I prefer those without heaps of overdubs, which shall remain nameless; my list is rather predictable for someone my age!

Lucinda Williams, Live Fillmore East;
    Hendrix, Band of Gypsys and Hendrix in the West;
    Lou Reed Rock n Roll Animal;
    Rolling Stones, Get Yer Ya Yas Out;
    Bob Dylan and The Band The 'Royal Albert Hall' Concert 1966; 'Real Live' is good, but muddy sound spoils it somewhat;
    Bryan Ferry Live in Lyons;
    Dire Straits Live Alchemy
    Deep Purple Made in Japan (Live in Copenhagen from the same tour is great, but sound is average);
    The Allman Brothers Band at Fillmore East (Live Sunybrook is also great, but as above, average sound)
    Pretenders, Isle of View
    Pink Floyd Live Wembley
    Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott's
    The Band Rock of Ages
    Dr Feelgood Stupidity
    The ARMS Concert for Multiple Sclerosis
    Alan Price, Performing Price
    The Concert for George

It's not an 'album', but there's a short Faces BBC Concert on YouTube which is a great listen; shows what a great band they could be and they all play/sing their socks off.

Comments and nominations welcome!

Geoff

6thplanetBillet
  • Here's a few I like.

Alison Krauss and Union Station - Live
    Boz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live
    Corinne Bailey Rae - Live in New York
    Daryl Hall & John Oates - Live At The Troubadour
    James Taylor - Live
    Phil Collins - Serious Hits...Live!
    Paul Simon - Paul Simon in Concert Live Rhymin'
    Sade - Lovers Live
    Santana - Sacred Fire - Santana Live in South America
    The Corrs - Live In Dublin
    Thornetta Davis - Covered Live At The Music Menu

BilletGeoffMillar6thplanetjhollander
  • Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus; this one is really good
    Bob Seger - Live Bullet; a long time favorite
    Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same; maybe the best ever Stairway...
    The Who - Live at Leeds; another long time favorite

6thplanet
  • @Billet said:
    Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus; this one is really good

The Who - Live at Leeds; another long time favorite

That Little Fear album is great, as is Who Live at Leeds, especially the expanded edition - the original only had six tracks. For Zep, How the West Was Won is a good listen too. Will check out Live Bullet, thanks.

Ron, thanks for those ideas: The Corrs do a nice version of 'Little Wing' but I don't know that album. I'll check out Corinne Bailey Rae and Thornetta Davis , too. And the others on your list!

Geoff