Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New Dayton Signature Series (Sub180-4 etc)

Comments

• Yes, it’s there for the sig, 1 2/5/8 0. But not yet for the 225 and 270.

It has rising H3 > H2 in the mid range, typical of drivers with an aluminium ring.

They could’ve put a copper sleeve in it and hit a home-run. I wonder why this wasn’t done…

rjj45
  • edited October 2023

Looks like the 4" is at least usable for a nice looking midrange.

• The 5" will be just fine as a mid/mid-woofer as well. The 7" will be fine in a 2-way if you cross it at 1500 or so. Not a lot of tweeters out there that will do that as-is but a simple waveguide can help with that.

I think these are a good value from Dayton.

I have a signature.
  • @tktran said:
    Yes, it’s there for the sig, 1 2/5/8 0. But not yet for the 225 and 270.

It has rising H3 > H2 in the mid range, typical of drivers with an aluminium ring.

They could’ve put a copper sleeve in it and hit a home-run. I wonder why this wasn’t done…

That would position them right next to the Reference series and would be a poor decision on Daytons part. As much as I agree with you on this, it was the right move from Dayton.

I have a signature.
  • I think the question on everyones mind - when are they going to release a knock-off of the HDS tweeter? That would be sweet.

rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • I doubt they can, as SS still produces it too.
    Brian says he's not really a tweeter guy, and that seems to be the holdup. PE needs somebody who can do tweeter design.

• @Wolf said:
    I doubt they can, as SS still produces it too.
    Brian says he's not really a tweeter guy, and that seems to be the holdup. PE needs somebody who can do tweeter design.

I'm sure plenty of build houses would be happy to design a higher end tweeter for the sales volume Dayton branded products offer. Sure the current RS tweeter was a swing and a miss and PE may be gun shy, but that is no excuse.

Probably should get some Peerless stuff while we can.

I have a signature.
  • edited October 2023

Too bad they can't design a new tweeter that is much like the old RS28A. I'm listen to my InDIYana theme project with them right now and they sound great.

jhollander
  • Yeah that was a special tweeter. Too bad Usher are also a-holes and pulled out of the DIY game.

I have a signature.
  • edited October 2023

TBH I'm kindof of over the look of the reference series drivers. Was hoping there would be something with similar performance, but different looks.

jr@mac
  • @DrewsBrews said:
    TBH I'm kindof of over the look of the reference series drivers. Was hoping there would be something with similar performance, but different looks.

Are you referring to the whole extended pole piece thing?

• edited October 2023

@PWRRYD said:

Are you referring to the whole extended pole piece thing?

The reference drivers have been used so often for years that I guess I just got burnt out seeing them get used. To the point I wouldn't be that excited to try them in a project of my own.

• Paint them [phase plugs] pink and put tassels on them and see if that gets you excited.

6thplanet
  • @Steve_Lee said:
    Paint them [phase plugs] pink and put tassels on them and see if that gets you excited.

Dude.

I have a signature.
  • Settle down.

Steve_Lee6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • edited October 2023

@jr@mac said:

@tktran said:

That would position them right next to the Reference series and would be a poor decision on Daytons part. As much as I agree with you on this, it was the right move from Dayton.

I don’t follow.

They already costs the same price as the Reference series.

Why can’t they put a copper sleeve in and raise the price by a Hamilton?

Perhaps because the frequency response then wouldn’t look as nice?

• Just looked at the Sig180 HD profile, as apparently I missed it too, Drew.
    The 2% spike in 3rd at 850Hz really is not that much different than a lot of other drivers with an energy storage in that range. It makes a slight dip in the FR as a result. However, the 850 spike is not seen in the impedance as energy storage like the 400Hz spot is. 2% isn't huge in magnitude and should be below -25dB.
    -50 = .5%, -40 = 1%, -30 = 2%, -20 = 4%. (I'm pretty sure that scale is accurate.)
    When I used the U18, it also had a wooly spot in this range. However, the energy storage does show a bump in the impedance, and was audible. I'm not sure the Sig180 will be as audible as the U18 is there.

Steve_Lee
  • I think they look pretty hot in red...

hifisideSteve_Leeugly_woofer
  • @tktran said:

@jr@mac said:

@tktran said:

I don’t follow.

They already costs the same price as the Reference series.

Why can’t they put a copper sleeve in and raise the price by a Hamilton?

Perhaps because the frequency response then wouldn’t look as nice?

The RS180 $20 more than the 6-1/2" Sig...

I have a signature.
  • @6thplanet said:
    I think they look pretty hot in red...

Nice. What finish is that?

• Type II anodized

• As if he knows anything about anodizing....😛

• A tad off topic, but with Meniscus closed, could Parts Express pick up the Eclipse W6520R? Seems like a nice alternative as many of the diy woofer suppliers seem to be drying up.

• @e6zion said:
    A tad off topic, but with Meniscus closed, could Parts Express pick up the Eclipse W6520R? Seems like a nice alternative as many of the diy woofer suppliers seem to be drying up.

That would be awesome.

I have a signature.
  • I would think it more likely that Mad would pick it up, since they now sell the (formerly Meniscus) Helios.
    There is a woofer at Misco that is very similar and available for purchase. Misco did make the 6520 for Meniscus.

e6zionSteve_Lee
  • edited October 2023

I guess you are referring to this one.
    https://store.miscospeakers.com/6-5-inch-woofer-93034

• edited October 2023

jr_mac
    “The RS180 $20 more than the 6-1/2" Sig...”

IC.

PS. I see the Sig 225 & Sig 270 finally in stock.

• @tktran said:
    The RS180 $20 more than the 6-1/2" Sig..

Yeah, the pricing on the Signature series is a little weird. The first 3 (120, 150, and 180) were priced between reference line and designer series. But the Sig 225 is $5 MORE than the 4 ohm RS225s and the Sig270 is basically the same as the RS270.

• edited October 2023

Meanwhile those Made in Denmark Scan-Speak Discovery series have alu rings. And a little more expensive than the Signature series.

I support innovation and I like the smooth response of the Signature series.

If they went with the copper sleeve the Le(x) would be lower and flatter. If the impedance lowers at around 1KHz the resultant frequency response would tilt upwards.
    And so perhaps they didn’t go with the copper sleeve for the sake of a flatter looking frequency response.