Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

2023 PE Speaker Design Competition

15678911»

Comments

• edited August 2023

As long as there are rules then there are those that will bend/exploit them. Competition naturally breeds competitiveness. Even those who have access to more advanced tooling will have a big advantage IMO. With a CNC router it is much easier to make a very unique cabinet with near perfect joints.. That could easily be viewed at-a-glance as very original and high craftsmanship. Vs someone with only a jigsaw and a drill might have put in just as much or more effort and skill to make a basic box that is reasonably square/plumb.

I don't tend to be a competitive person so I try to ignore the competitive spirits and have as much fun as I can. This is very much a hobby for me. My interests tend to be somewhat eclectic and often not easily understood by everyone. Also my limit of effort to put into the hobby is probably rather low compared to alot of you guys. So I'm pretty confident I have a near 0% chance of really placing in these competitions anyway.

Steve_LeeBillet
  • @jr@mac said:
    This is why I have a generally low opinion of this event. It creates animosity and braggadocio where it should be encouraging brotherhood.

This sums it up well. Honest feedback from a fellow DIYer means a great deal to me.

Being honest while still lifting each other up should be our collective goal when discussing speaker builds.

Steve_LeePWRRYDBillet