Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

2023 PE Speaker Design Competition

Comments

• What would seem to make sense to me is that all the participants within any single category are allowed into the judging room while everyone else must be in the jam room or elsewhere. In that way, you are able to hear all of the speakers in every class if you would like - either in the judging room when you are also there for your own entry, or in the jam room for the other classes.

In the past because of all of the moving between rooms I was not able to hear most all of the other speakers in my own class.

• I think the big room experience is great. Not good for some speakers, the judges, etc. but as Ben pointed out if your listing point is constant you can hear differences.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • My speaker project is done: built, crossed, voiced, tested (repeat those last two a few times...). But there was still one pressing issue to overcome... would it fit in my vehicle??? :o

So after much thinking and measuring I did some disassembly and finally attempted the big jig saw puzzle. Surprisingly it fits! What a relief. It turns out that it's a much easier fit than last year's project since I am not using two 20 inch cubes (subs). Now the $500 I was going to use to rent a minivan to haul it down to the SDC can be used for, what else, more drivers! =) Oh yeah, wasn't I trying to get rid of drivers...

This is just a reminder that it's a good time to plan the packing of your own project. You don't want to damage it after so much hard work. And make sure to keep Fido away while you are performing your own test-fit.

Silver1omo
  • Done.

jr@macPWRRYDa4eaudiotajanesWolfugly_wooferkenrhodeshifiside6thplanetDrewsBrewsand 5 others.
  • edited July 2023

One thing I was a but confused about.. Is everyone expected to show up Friday?

If not, is anyone that isn't in that category going Friday? Or just Saturday?

• No, you can check in (register) on Saturday morning. Many people show up just Saturday.

• If you want to judge that class with a vote, you have to be there. Other than that, Saturday is fine.

• Just remember that registration and start time Saturday were pushed 30 minutes earlier than originally announced.

Billet
  • Well, after much thought and deliberation, I won't be attending this year. Just too much going on physically for me to do it. Add in a slew of home projects as well. Bummed for sure. Wanted to hear the latest creations. See you all at CSS!

• Bummer dude! My buddy Adam can't make it this year either. He's gotta work.👎🏼

• I'm sorry to hear that...
    See you in Sept...

• Sorry to hear that, Chuck. Probably better to take good care of your back and not risk throwing it out lifting the Victors.

• That's too bad Chuck. I'll see you in September.

• Was thinking of heading up to hear the big stuff. But the wife isn't feeling great so waiting on scrips to pick up. Should be able to show tomorrow atleast.

• edited August 2023

Had an awesome time with everyone! Your builds definitely cast a shadow on mine. I expected nothing less and you didn't dissapoint!

The SDC garage sale really seemed to have more juicy deals than normal. I handed over a $5 AMT3 to a guy who had already claimed the other one, and is just getting into the hobby. Wish him the best and hope he comes over to hang here at MAC!

And then there are the door prizes too. I bet around 1/3 - 1/2 of folks there walked out with something extra.

It was cool to be in the judging room this time. And the rather sparse jam room allowed for things to get more rowdy if you wanted to. For those who don't like the competition part. That seemed like such a small part of the day for me, all things considered.

Ugh sorry I need to remember to wipe the hand slime off the lens.

Steve_Lee
  • Holy crap what an awesome turnout! Great to see yous guys again! So many speakers to see and hear. PE will publish the winners, congratulations to all of you who placed, it was a tough crowd this time.

Steve_Leejr@macDrummerjhollander
  • I might attend next year, time and finances permitting. Mrs JR and I plan on attending Axpona, and that will be a spendy trip.

I have a signature.
  • The level of craftsmanship is pretty amazing. A lot of great looking speakers.

jr@macEd_PerkinsPWRRYDSteve_Lee4thtry
  • Wow yeah! Some great looking speakers! Any info on this pair:

• The pair with the dome mids, side mounted woofers, and those crazy cool looking curved stands?

• I was wondering too.

• Those were Julian's. Reference tweeter and mid and Epique 5" on the side. CNCed cabinet. Very pretty.

• edited August 2023

Woofer xoverd at 700, too high. Sounded very disjointed. Mid struggled. Port too small, and not enough BSC either.
    Yes, CNCd, and pretty.

• I feel like the one that stood out and didn't place was David's Voz Pacifica. Those sounded just spectacular.

4thtry
  • What Ben said about Julian, definitely missed the mark tonally, but gorgeous cabs as usual.

• @Wolf said:
    Woofer xoverd at 700, too high. Sounded very disjointed. Mid struggled. Port too small, and not enough BSC either.
    Yes, CNCd, and pretty.

I agree, very artistic, curvy shape. I snapped a bunch of angles. Here are few more from my collection, in case anyone is interested. Julian called these "T-2" I also agree with your comments about the sound. After they finished playing, I looked at Julian and the judges, hoping that they heard the problem and would double check the phase or woofer connections and possibly re-play them. But everyone seemed OK with what they heard. There was no bass at all from where I was sitting. It sounded like the woofers were out of phase or something like that.

6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • edited August 2023

Julian tends to use port output as his BSC, and that is likely why the bass was so rolled off. I imagine he did not pad the mid and tweeter to compensate either. The sensitivity being so drastically different between the units as the main cause without adjustments to correct the imbalance. I feel the drivers were likely correct polarity.

• Though about the woofers being out of phase too. Weird.
    Hey Charlie, figure out what happened to the amp?

• Any thoughts on Verismo?