Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

2023 PE Speaker Design Competition

Comments

• James P "Black Orphus" speakers.

Wolf's "Bottleships" 3.5 liter 3 way, Peerless 830855 4" woofer, Audible Physics CP220 mid, Dayton ND20FA-6 tweeter, Dayton DSA135PR. Fb 50Hz, F3/10: 80/42Hz, Xover 900 & 4000Hz. Packs a real punch for such a small package.

Steve_Lee
  • Wolf's "Monoculus" speakers. A small 15 liter 3-way using the TB W4-2315 coax and TB W6-1139SIF subwoofer. Xovers approx 400Hz & 4kHz. 13 parts. F3: 40Hz, Fb: 47Hz. These sounded excellent from where I was sitting. The tweeter, mid, and woofer blended together seamlessly. One of the best speakers I heard at the show. The bass did not dig quite as deep as some of the other entries, but not bad at all for a small 15 liter box. In terms of appearance, I thought the solid barn wood baffles contrasted well against the white cabinets. Well done!

hifiside6thplanetWolfSteve_LeejhollanderBillet
  • "Salvage 12" speakers by Steven G.

"Pipedreams" by Steven G.

"Bookshelf" by Joseph K.

"Rover3" by Ivan K.

"Floorstanding" by Joseph K.

hifiside6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • "Mini TL" by John H. (Dayton category, SP57). This is a very small two-way using the ND91-8 woofer and ND25Tn Titanium Tweeter. The woofer is loaded into a tapered TL with 3 liter volume and 96cm length. The large closed end of the TL up to the woofer is stuffed with 2 ounces of insulation and the TL from woofer to terminus is unstuffed. Xover: 3.3kHz LR2. F3: 50 to 53Hz. Sensitivity: 80dB/2.83V/1M. Here is a link to John's PE gallery write up with additional information: https://projectgallery.parts-express.com/uncategorized/mini-tl/

6thplanetrjj45hifisideSteve_Leejhollander
  • edited August 2023

"Jazz Kissa" by Patrick G. (SP12, $>300)

"Big Guy" by Tony H. (SP28, $>300):

I was unable to find the name, designer, or driver info on this speaker. It was on the Dayton Audio table, but the tent card was missing. EDIT: Ok, I think I found the name. This was part of Tony H's "Fatso" Dayton entry, SP29. The larger, third cabinet was on the floor in front of the Dayton table. Picture added below.

6thplanethifisideSteve_Lee
  • I was quite impressed by Steven G's Salvage and PipeDreams, they both sounded pretty dang good!

• "Chimera" by Keith E. (SP22, $>300). Drivers: All Ciare. Woofer: 10" HW251N (8 ohm), Midrange: 5" HWG130-4 (4 ohm), Tweeter: CT400 Horn Tweeter (4 ohm). Woofer loading is a ML-TL with a total internal volume of 81.9 liters and tuned to 39Hz (Fb). F3 is 41.5Hz. Xovers: 280Hz/1950Hz, 2nd order electrical HP on tweeter, 2nd order electrical LP on woofer, and a 2nd/3rd order electrical bandpass on the midrange.

"Retrospeak" by Bill S (4thtry). This was my $>300 entry, SP37. Tweeters were a matched pair of classic Morel MDT33 tweeters with new VC's and ferrofluid. Mids were a pair of classic Vifa D75MX 3" domes from the mid 1990's. Woofers were a pair of Dayton RS270P-8 units that I retro-fitted into the cabinets with adapter rings after I dropped and destroyed one of my classic Audio Concepts JC-12 modified subwoofers. Xovers: 750Hz & approx 3.9kHz. FB: 28Hz, F3: 31Hz.

KEtheredge87hifisidetajanesSteve_Leejhollander6thplanet
  • Thanks @4thtry for all the photos!

4thtrySteve_Lee
  • @Wolf said:
    Woofer xoverd at 700, too high. Sounded very disjointed. Mid struggled. Port too small, and not enough BSC either.
    Yes, CNCd, and pretty.

PE claims the Epique E150HE-44 can be crossed over to a tweeter for a two way, Javad used a pair in his Project Sledgehammer where he crossed them over at 2K to a CSS LD25X tweeter.

What would be the reasoning for not wanting to cross them up so high?

• @4thtry said:
    David E. took 1st place in the <300 category with his "Vellabrezzy" speakers. From info that David posted over on the facebook project pad, drivers are Scan Speak R2604/832000 tweeter and Dayton RS225-8 8" woofer. The waveguide is a Monacor WG-300. Simple 7 part two way xover used. Very large and beautiful cabinets with sloped front baffle and facets. These are almost too big to fit on standard sized speaker stand. They sounded fantastic from where I was sitting. Congrats, David! EDIT: The front baffle is not sloped. The huge facets just make it seem like a sloped baffle when you look at it from the side angle. DOUBLE EDIT: Added another picture showing the back side.

Thanks for the pics, wife missed getting one of me up at the front.

Those facets were not fun to cut, lots and lots of hand work even when mostly cut on a table saw.

BTW the name Vellabrezzy is a play on words, loosely translated from Slovak, it means, "A Lot of Birch". I thought it was funny.

I was quite surprised when my name was called, there were some very good speakers in there. Mistakenly I stayed at the front when mine were played, so I didn't really get a good comparison between mine and the others that I listened to from the back in the room. If I attend another event, it wont be with 50+lbs speakers again, although my wife says she is sure they will be 50+lbs again next time the way I build things...)

4thtryhifiside6thplanet
  • edited August 2023

"Blues" by Brian B. (SP26, $<300):

"The Yolkys" by Clay A. (SP17, $<300):

"Bosi 225" by David H. (SP32, $>300) Tweeter: Satori TW29RN-B (8), Woofer: Two Dayton RS225-8 (Isobaric)
    PR: Dayton DSA215-PR. Fb: 33hz. F3: 35hz per WinISD (38/39hz per the designer's microphone and nearfield merging).

"Quattroporte" by Dan W. (SP42, $>300): EDIT: Added additional detail taken from the designers summary sheet: Two-way with 4 BR ports. Drivers: Epique E180HE-44 woofer and Revel 354881 tweeter. Xover: 4th order electrical at 1700Hz.

hifisideSteve_Leejhollander6thplanet
  • @DaveFred said:

@Wolf said:
    Woofer xoverd at 700, too high. Sounded very disjointed. Mid struggled. Port too small, and not enough BSC either.
    Yes, CNCd, and pretty.

PE claims the Epique E150HE-44 can be crossed over to a tweeter for a two way, Javad used a pair in his Project Sledgehammer where he crossed them over at 2K to a CSS LD25X tweeter.

Ben was referring to the woofer being side mounted and crossed that high, not that the driver couldn't reach 700hz.

hifisideSteve_Lee
  • "Tuxedo T-shirts" by Andrew G. (DrewsBrews), (SP 58, $<300). Tweeter: P.audio PHT-409. Woofer: Dayton PA200-8. Crossover: 3kHz.

"Waveguide Reflex" by Bob B. (SP46, $>300):

Steve_Leehifiside6thplanet
  • @ugly_woofer said:

@DaveFred said:

@Wolf said:
    Yes, CNCd, and pretty.

Ben was referring to the woofer being side mounted and crossed that high, not that the driver couldn't reach 700hz.

Ah, makes perfect sense, radiating pattern and all, my mistake. Thank you.

• edited August 2023

"Bourbon Barrel Satellites" by Perry M. (SP53, Open Unlimited):

"Cones-a-flapping" by Charlie L. (SP18, Open Unlimited). Complex open baffle design, actively equalized via computer controlled DSP and multiple amplifiers. Drivers: four Satori W024P 9.5" woofers per side, a 6" or 7.5" (not sure) Satori Textreme woofer near the top. Not sure what tweeter was being used. I'll refrain from making any comments about the sound quality due to the technical hookup issue that occurred during the setup (see Charlie"s post above for details). ---- EDIT: See Charlie's post below for his full PDF writeup on this design.

Steve_Leehifisiderjj456thplanetcharlielaub
  • I liked the clarity and detail I heard from Charlie's speaker. To bad it was only part of the music.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Lots of nice builds in there, maybe one day I’ll make it there to check it out.

• I have a design in the works that might be fun to ship out there. Unfortunately the drivers are both NLA - not sure how that works with the quirky rules at this event.

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    I have a design in the works that might be fun to ship out there. Unfortunately the drivers are both NLA - not sure how that works with the quirky rules at this event.

Use the reasonable retail cost of the driver imo. The rules are exceptionally vague. For example, when I entered the Armonicos, I could have entered them into the less expensive category based on what I actually paid for the drivers, but couldn't do that in good conscience. So I went into the higher class though I was at a disadvantage. Still took home 3rd place. For nla drivers, I would use original pricing. Jmo

• @isaeagle4031 said:

@jr@mac said:
    I have a design in the works that might be fun to ship out there. Unfortunately the drivers are both NLA - not sure how that works with the quirky rules at this event.

Use the reasonable retail cost of the driver imo. The rules are exceptionally vague. For example, when I entered the Armonicos, I could have entered them into the less expensive category based on what I actually paid for the drivers, but couldn't do that in good conscience. So I went into the higher class though I was at a disadvantage. Still took home 3rd place. For nla drivers, I would use original pricing. Jmo

These would definitely be in the over $300 category.

I have a signature.
  • @4thtry said:
    "Cones-a-flapping" by Charlie L. (SP18, Open Unlimited). Complex open baffle design, actively equalized via computer controlled DSP and multiple amplifiers. Drivers: four Satori W024P 9.5" woofers per side, a 6" or 7.5" (not sure) Satori Textreme woofer near the top. Not sure what tweeter was being used. I'll refrain from making any comments about the sound quality due to the technical hookup issue that occurred during the setup (see Charlie"s post above for details).

Thanks for posting the pics!

Yea, it was a pity that it was not fully functional during the judging. But even with one side not working below 300Hz I thought it sounded OK in the jam room where I could play some better demo tracks.

I am attaching the writeup of the project if anyone is interested. It gives full details of drivers, crossover, etc. If you have any questions feel free to drop me a PM.

4thtryjhollanderSteve_Lee
  • "TK1 Revelator 5_1" by Todd K. (SP47, $>300). From designer's summary sheet: 0.33 cu.ft. sealed enclosure. Drivers: SB Acoustics SB29RDNC-C000-4 tweeter and ScanSpeak 15W-4531000 woofer. 3D printed baffle.

"TK1 Satori 10_1" by Todd K. (SP48, $>300). From designer's summary sheet: 1.16 cu. ft. sealed enclosure. Drivers: SB Acoustics SB26STWG-4 tweeter and Satori W024P-8 woofer. Multi-section baffle.

6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • edited August 2023

"Shorty Shorts" by Vernon K. (SP09, $<300):

"It's Alive" by Mark D. (SP27, $<300):

"Voz Pacifica" by David H. (a4eaudio) (SP33, $<300): EDIT: Added more detail from David's writeup. Drivers: Lavoce TN131.00 tweeter, SBA16PFCR25-8 woofer with DIY sliced cone for improved off-axis response and lower distortion. Xover: 2.6kHz LR4. In looking at the VituixCAD Power & DI graph, I just noticed the very smooth and downward sloping In Room response curve. It looks very close to the target line of about -0.8dB/octave, only deviating +- 1dB or so. No wonder they sounded so good in this room.

"Rhythmic Whispers" by Bryan B. (SP35, $<300):

"Shmoo's" by Tim R. (SP39, $<300). Drivers: Dayton Sig120-4 4" signature series midrange and Dayton Sig180-4 6.5" signature series woofer. Not sure about the tweeter, but it looks like a Peerless DA25BG08-06. Here is a link to the designer's PETT gallery thread for more information: https://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/speaker-project-gallery/1499341-shmoo-3way-signature-drivers

Steve_Lee
  • "Front Row" by Meredith C. (SP08, Open Unlimited). The basic idea here was to develop a speaker that could image well in more than one listening position. To spread the stereo imaging over a span of several seats instead of a single sweet spot. Sorry, I didn't get any pictures or hear them at the SDC. I took a break during the setup process and then didn't make it back in time to hear them. Here are a few pics I took at InDIYana earlier this year:

hifisideSteve_Lee
  • @PWRRYD said:
    Umm... all of them. LOL
    Thanks Bill!

OK, Craig, I think that is all of them, except I missed one speaker. This was an unusal looking flower shaped speaker (black baffle) mounted on top of a 1" PVC speaker stand/frame. It was located on the floor to the left side of the Dayton Audio table. You can see it in @DrewsBrews and @6thplanet 's set of photos above. When we were swapping out speakers during the Dayton competition, I got locked out of the room when these were playing. Maybe someone else got a close up photo of these and can post it.

• Thanks for the write ups and all the pictures Bill. I know how much work it takes.

Ron

Steve_Lee4thtryjhollander
  • Thanks again Bill! Great pics.

4thtry
  • An unusual looking flower shaped speaker certainly sounds like one of Meridith's creations :)

4thtry
  • You're welcome! Posting all these pics and details is alot of fun. I really enjoy doing it. Please note that I recently went back to several of my posts and added additional driver detail, crossover detail, and other comments. Hope that everyone finds this type of information useful. Bill

tajaneshifisiderjj45jhollandera4eaudio6thplanetDaveFredS7910kenrhodesBillet