Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

2023 PE Speaker Design Competition

https://parts-express.com/speaker-design-competition

Aug 4th, 5th

Anyone planning on attending/entering?

Comments

• I'm going

• Someday I'll fly in for it, but not this year. Maybe next.

I have a signature.
  • 7 hour drive for me. I may consider depending on workload.

• I'll be there, but not registered yet. Holding off on registering because I don't want to be the first one to play in my category. I wish PE would either randomize the play order or post a list of the registered entries so far.

charlielaub
  • @4thtry said:
    Holding off on registering because I don't want to be the first one to play in my category. I wish PE would either randomize the play order or post a list of the registered entries so far.

Wow, I never realized they were not randomized!

• I plan to attend and will bring a dipole speaker that I am working up now using mostly Satori drivers. Have yet to come up with a clever name on that theme.

• I'm registered with my Not Qualified entry. I thought about bringing my all Dayton mini TL. Still on the fence.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Charlie, I like Ditori as a name. Doesn't take much to figure out what's going on after you hear that name.

• I'll be there, not registered as I don't know what I'll bring.

• I'm registered, I don't give a shit whether I'm first, last or somewhere in the middle.

PWRRYD6thplanet
  • Definitely not competing this year, but may or may not be there. Anyone know if they're doing the tent sale this year? I couldn't find anything on the MWAF section of the PE website.

• Last year was like, "Here are 4 pallets of stuff we set aside for this sale." Wasn't worth my time.

• I might show up to see what happens there. I’ve never been there. For the most part DiyIowa23 will be my last event that I bring something to.

• Why? You obviously aren't stopping building them...

• @kenrhodes said:
    Charlie, I like Ditori as a name. Doesn't take much to figure out what's going on after you hear that name.

I was thinking about something like Satorifaction, Satorisatisfaction, etc. Seems a bit too cute. I usually name my projects with a very boring ID like '2023A'. Maybe I will call it 'cones-a-flapping' or 'I forgot the cabinet, ma'...

kenrhodes4thtry
  • @Wolf said:
    Last year was like, "Here are 4 pallets of stuff we set aside for this sale." Wasn't worth my time.

Really? I assumed after not having a tent sale for 2 years during the pandemic they'd be overflowing with returns and b-stock.

• Stahl will just sell that stuff as new at full price... :)

• @hifiside said:
    I might show up to see what happens there. I’ve never been there. For the most part DiyIowa23 will be my last event that I bring something to.

It's interesting to get feedback from the Judges about what you built. In the old format it was fun listening to everyone's speakers with the Judges to see if they heard what we heard. You could do a lot of speaker to speaker comparisons.

Now, it's not that good where the Judges listen in a small room with the builder. You only get to hear your speakers with the Judges.

6thplanet
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I don't even see a list of registered entries, so who knows about their "garage sale" which as mentioned wasn't worth visiting. I bought absolutely nothing last year.

• I hadn't noticed until yesterday that Andrew Jones is going to be one of the judges this year.

kenrhodes6thplanet
  • edited May 2023

@DanP said:

@Wolf said:
    Last year was like, "Here are 4 pallets of stuff we set aside for this sale." Wasn't worth my time.

Really? I assumed after not having a tent sale for 2 years during the pandemic they'd be overflowing with returns and b-stock.

They do several garage sales over the course of the year now. Probably helps them not use up so much stock space storing stuff just to sell at "get rid of" prices once a year. I had heard that most of the previous vendors were not interested to come back for MWAF so that partially killed it too. The car audio side seemed to already have dropped off.

DanP
  • Planning on going, 1 entry

• Last year I packed up as fast as possible right after the event ended on Saturday and then drove the 4+ hours back home. That turned out to be a bit too hectic and stressful. So I am wondering if people would be interested in planning a low key social event following the end of the SDC on Saturday?

Those who will still be around could all go out to dinner together. There is a restaurant called "Firebirds Wood Fired Grill" that is one exit north via I-75 that looks to have a good menu:
    https://miamisburg.firebirdsrestaurants.com/menus/dinner/
    The only issue might be that the seating is mostly booths for four people. Not sure if they could seat a larger group together. If you are local or know the area, is there any place you can suggest that might be better suited?

Any ideas or feedback on this sort of idea are welcome.

hifiside
  • edited May 2023

I've not been to Firebirds so I don't know.
    BJs is good though. I'm a fan of alot of the beers they brew there. I think they have a decent amount of chair/table space so should be able to accommodate.
    Chuys is garbage IMO.

Downtown Miamisburg is probably too far away but TJ Chumps usually opens up a big outdoor area in the summer that is pretty friendly to large groups.

charlielaub
  • Hey All, I'm going to be there but haven't signed up yet. Need to decide what my full build plan is going to be. I'm committed to do that Ciare build in the other thread I started. I might also finish out my Tweeter Yoga build and have that present even though I'm still disappointed in the low end response of that HiFi 10" woofer. Haven't devoted time to that yet, but I'm hoping there's something I can do to get lower useful response from it.

I may also be able to convince the wife to let me stay overnight on Saturday for a further hangout. I always like dinner with you all instead of folks rushing to pack their car and bolt home (though I get it!)

• edited June 2023

@KEtheredge87 said:
    .....I'm still disappointed in the low end response of that HiFi 10" woofer. Haven't devoted time to that yet, but I'm hoping there's something I can do to get lower useful response from it....

Add cone mass

But realy it doesn't seem that bad to me. I plonked it in WinISD. A ~1.2CF box with a 2.5"x12" port F3 is ~45hz, but F10 of 26hz! Nice rounded slope (similar to sealed rolloff), and at 40watts doesn't reach over excursion until 21hz. Seems like a gentle giant that could give nice relaxed response in-room.

That is close to the box design I came up with that uses just a 4'x4' piece for the pair (~1.15cf ea internal). Line em with thick foam or cotton insulation could drop box Q to about perfect.

Steve_LeeKEtheredge87
  • @DrewsBrews said:
    I've not been to Firebirds so I don't know.
    BJs is good though. I'm a fan of alot of the beers they brew there. I think they have a decent amount of chair/table space so should be able to accommodate.
    Chuys is garbage IMO.

Downtown Miamisburg is probably too far away but TJ Chumps usually opens up a big outdoor area in the summer that is pretty friendly to large groups.

I also thought about hosting a SAT evening event (by myself or with others) at a rental home like a VRBO or whatever. Something along the theme of "I bring the speakers and provide some food and you bring the beer". Relaxing over some brats, burgers, and beers would definitely be a nice way to cap off Saturday but so far I have not found any place that seemed suitable for a bunch of lubricated speaker geeks...

KEtheredge87
  • If it wasn't an 8 hour drive for me I would enjoy hanging out with you guys and enjoy brats, burgers, and beer. The Dayton "Design" thing has no appeal to me.