Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Three way with the RAAAAAAAAL 64-10

Comments

• hifisideSteve_Lee6thplanetPWRRYDjhollander4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • Insomnia modeling yields this:

With this crossover:

Pseudo 2nd order LR slopes, asymmetrical due to the midrange having inherently deep slopes.

Anyways, subject to off-axis blah blah blah gotta start somewhere.

Regardless, this should end up being a top notch performer.

Nicholas_23hifisideSteve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • The nice thing about the higher crossover points is it makes buying expensive caps somewhat less expensive lol. We plan on using premium components in this bad boy.

rjj45Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • Well shoot , checked inventory of foil coils , I dont have any of the values you spec'd in the current version of the xover.

• You have an inventory of foil coils?

rjj45Steve_Lee
  • @PWRRYD said:
    You have an inventory of foil coils?

Fritz hooked me up with some left over inventory while back.

Steve_Leejr@mac
  • Took impedance sweep of woofer with 5mH coil in series, Q around 0.77 and resonance frequency of 39Hz is simply not bad at all. Should be very satisfying low end on these.

I have a signature.
  • hifisideNicholas_23rjj45MartyHSteve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • Maynard, Chuck, and I would concur, the Ushers have a terrific low end, better than just about any 8" driver. At 42 liters you have plenty of volume to get the best out of them!

• That posted crossover didn't work, neither did the next five or six. Last night I tried yet another and am now starting to hear the magic possible with these drivers.

Steve_LeekenrhodesNicholas_23Silver1omo
    I have a signature.
  • @MartyH said:
    Maynard, Chuck, and I would concur, the Ushers have a terrific low end, better than just about any 8" driver. At 42 liters you have plenty of volume to get the best out of them!

Yes, very nice bass. Typical for drivers that are very low distortion on the bottom end - impression of it being lean at first, then you realize you are hearing the driver articulate subtle differences between instruments and voices down low. The odd-order harmonics that dominate down low on drivers with bread and butter motors really gives the impression of better and lower bass - until you hear otherwise. The Dayton Designer 8" (aluminum, can't speak for the paper version) has similar low end performance (distortion speaking) but not as clean through the midrange. I worked with another driver last month that is also incredible from the bottom end through the midrange. Same story - lean at first until you really start paying attention.

Plus sealed bass that extends to 40Hz or even lower at "full power" is absolutely insane.

rjj45johnny5jz
    I have a signature.
  • I was going to work on these this morning but Mrs. JR commandeered the basement for TV watching - this windstorm is definitely getting on her nerves. I'm not lugging these bastards up the stairs to work on them there - next time these go up, they are going home.

I have a signature.
  • Haha , when you have a concrete xover , Ill get some parts ordered sir.

jr@mac
  • Steve_LeeSilver1omosilverDrjj456thplanetColonel7
    I have a signature.
  • LOL , ya got me . looking sounding good!

• These are pretty much voiced and ready for soldering.
    Heavy bastards. Nick and I are going to have fun lugging them, I think.

I have a signature.
  • So what is your opinion of that Morel dome compared to the HiVi you used in the O'Ryans?

rjj45Steve_Lee
  • cross over parts ordered

jr@mac
  • @ugly_woofer said:
    Ooooh, badass 4 way, big woofer + 10f + done mid + Raal.

This ^ is where I am headed next in modular cabinets - 12" PA310-8 woofers, 6.5" MW of some sort, dome mid and baffle-less ribbon on top . . .

• edited January 18

@Jakes_dad said:
    So what is your opinion of that Morel dome compared to the HiVi you used in the O'Ryans?

Unfair comparison, the HiVi has a lot larger radiating surface. The Morel sounds just fine, though.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:

@Jakes_dad said:
    So what is your opinion of that Morel dome compared to the HiVi you used in the O'Ryans?

Unfair comparison, the HiVi has a lot larger radiating surface. The Morel sounds just fine, though.

So you like the HiVi better? Or just cuz you can cross it lower?

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • SQ wise they are both good, but due to larger dome the HiVi handles things a little better on the bottom end.
    Not going to really delve any further than this.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • ok thanks

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • @jr@mac said:

@Jakes_dad said:

I look forward to seeing the crossover details as I am using the morel in an upcoming project. Crossover design is like highschool calculus for me, I kind of understand what is going on, but it helps if I can copy off of someone else's paper :p

PWRRYD
  • I'll see if Nick is OK with sharing this information - it is his build.

I have a signature.
  • @Jakes_dad said:

I look forward to seeing the crossover details as I am using the morel in an upcoming project. Crossover design is like highschool calculus for me, I kind of understand what is going on, but it helps if I can copy off of someone else's paper :p

I'm in the same boat as you, even though I've been doing this for about 20 years.
    Here is my crossover for the MDM55, looks like the F3 HP is about 900 Hz, although the reverse null is about 800 Hz.

• @jr@mac said:
    I'll see if Nick is OK with sharing this information - it is his build.

I dont mind , not sure how much it will help with other designs. woofer is NLA ,but might get a guy in the ballpark

Steve_Lee
  • I have a signature.
  • edited January 22

I crossed the Morel a little higher than some have, I was worried about it keeping up with an 8" woofer capable of a lot of output.
    XO points are 1.1/4.2k. 3rd BW, so no reverse nulls. BW offers good off axis performance.
    The Usher is a damn good woofer, pity they pulled out of DIY. Jerks.

I have a signature.