Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Three way with the RAAAAAAAAL 64-10

edited June 2023 in Support

Been spit balling some ideas with JR using the raal ribbon tweeter in the three way. I mentioned the Scan 10f/8414 as a possible mid, but got to thinking about using the AMT Pro as a mid option. The bottom end would be anchored using the usher 8955 and most likely sealed with either mid having its own enclosure internal to the cabs. Not sure Ive heard a three way design with a AMT as a dedicated mid, thought it might be interesting.

Steve_Leejr@mac

Comments

• I like 8 inch 3 ways.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I think the AMT might play low enough. I vote for that.

I have a signature.
  • Javad used it as a mid several years ago. I believe he was able to get it down to 1k, so my vote would be a small cone driver instead or how about the Radian lm10, it can cross 350ish.

• I don't think it's a good candidate for a mid. I used it in my 442 project. It's good to 1K and I didn't feel it had enough up top to use as a pure tweeter, I added the AMT mini to fill in the top end.

• Sorry is the initial post was confusing , I type too fast sometimes. Top end would be the baby Raal , the mid would be the AMTpro and the bottom end would be the usher 8 inch. I would like to use the drivers I have on hand as well.

• I would agree with 6thplanet - I'd go for a 3 1/2 - 4 inch cone mid and cross a bit lower than 1K

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • The 10F you have floating around would do really well.

I have a signature.
  • You have all the parts to make an amazing speaker. I look forward to this build coming together.

• Or a dome mid like the MDM55 or CAM558.

rjj45Wolfjholtz
  • Nick, correct me if I'm wrong but you have a pair of those Morel mids?

I have a signature.
  • Ooooh, badass 4 way, big woofer + 10f + done mid + Raal.

• @jr@mac said:
    Nick, correct me if I'm wrong but you have a pair of those Morel mids?

Damn, you know what , I do . Where are those suckers .....

• 8955 + MDM55 + RAAAAAL = WIN!

6thplanetTurn2MartyH
  • @PWRRYD said:
    8955 + MDM55 + RAAAAAL = WIN!

I did a 3 way with RS270 + MDM55 + Airborne 5002 AMT - sounded awesome. Super clear and detailed mids and highs

• I still listen to my Gormachos project everyday (they are our mains for watching TV/movies). Those are Usher 8945A + CAM558 + NeoCE1.0

rjj456thplanet
  • Theyre here ... not much to say about them. The old rat shack/pioneers seem more robust.

6thplanet4thtryrjj45Steve_Leejhollander
  • What do they measure like?

• I guess lets go.

• edited June 2023

Going to ping Brad on cabs next

hifiside
  • Curious with the fascination of dome mids ? Is it the booby style ?

hifisideSteve_Lee
  • That Usher is a great choice if you can give it a fair amount of space. The Vas on it is 133+ liters, so she demands some elbow room to get into the low 30's!

• @Nicholas_23 said:
    Curious with the fascination of dome mids ? Is it the booby style ?

That's why I like the big HiVi dome.

Seriously though, dome mids are just cool. I think because there are just not that many of them in use, and there should be.

I have a signature.
  • @MartyH said:
    That Usher is a great choice if you can give it a fair amount of space. The Vas on it is 133+ liters, so she demands some elbow room to get into the low 30's!

Thanks for the input Martimus , JR did a build with me a few years back , very nice sealed box enclosure.

• kenrhodesrjj45JasonPtajanesugly_woofer6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • We decided on the Morel.

I have a signature.
  • First off nice seeing you and momma . Thanks for having me over. Second , we talked, but hot damn if I wouldnt go sealed on these? The suspension weirds me out. So loose on these . Hot dog down a hallway if you will. Thoughts ?

jr@mac6thplanet
  • Stop talkin so silly Nick :o

• These will Rock!

jr@macrjj45
  • Did some modeling per Mr. Nick's request. I personally like the sealed, but the vented looks excellent for a large room. All modeling done with series resistance of 1 ohm to emulate a 3-way crossover.

Sealed, 1.5 cubic feet, Q of 0.727. F3/6/10 of 40/31/23.

Vented, 2.0 cubic feet tuned to 20Hz. F3/6/10 of 28/22/18(!), similar roll-off as the sealed. Only very slightly steeper.

Helluva woofer, RIP Usher for DIY.

tajanesugly_woofer6thplanetrjj45Ron_ESteve_Lee
    I have a signature.