Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

InDIYana 2024; "Inner Sanctum" theme announcement...

124»

Comments

• edited April 28

This was another fun event, thanks to the organizers for their hard work.

Eggguy
    I have a signature.
  • Did I win the CSS waveguide tweeters?

• For the record, Nick (uglywoofer) won.
    🤘🏼😎🤘🏼

• Eggman (Clay), Analogkid won the CSS waveguides. (Why can't I remember A-kid's first name?)
    Yep, ugg-dub won the theme. I really liked them, image or not. It was a lot tighter than I expected.
    Congrats to Mark Sayer for his Lifetime Achievement Award! He's been there for a bunch of us over the years.
    He said his takeaway from all of this is that store bought speakers have no soul, and that what we pour into ours gives them one and makes them much more special. They are a piece of us.
    Thank you all for coming, thanks to the theme participants, thanks to the sponsors, and thanks to JR for the theme music.
    Longest distance was Andrew Funk from Calgary if I had to guess, with a close second from Javad. Andrew said his travel was about 2500 miles.
    I'm certain most everyone had a blast.

Steve_Lee
  • edited April 28

@Wolf said:
    Yep, ugg-dub won the theme.

Nick, congrads !

Looks like it was another solid event, and a good showing for the MAC drivers.

ugly_woofer
  • Thank you to everyone that came and helped make this event so much fun. I am so impressed at how good all of the speakers sounded. It was an amazing event, probably my favorite event so far.

6thplanetWolf
  • There really are no bad speakers at these events anymore, it really just boils done to different flavors. lots of great designs, and of coarse Meredith brought something unusual and interesting. I was lucky enough to have the sweet spot for the demo. Great seeing all you guys again!

6thplanetPWRRYDWolfjhollanderAnalogkid455
  • Analogkid's name is Erik

Had a fucking blast! Great to hang with all of you🤘🏼

Analogkid455
  • Another good event and I had a fun time like always. Nice to see my old friends and meet some new ones, Erik (analog kid) and his wife Natalie. I probably sound like a broken record but every project I heard sounded really good. Not a single stinker in the house. Like Nick said it really just comes down to personal preferences and the fact that the event room is way different than most of our own listening spaces. That will always be what it is. Thanks Ben, Chuck, Ken, and anyone else who help this year.

• @6thplanet said:
    Analogkid's name is Erik

I was thinking that, but thought I was wrong.

• Thanks to Ben and all others involved. The more events like this one that I attend the more convinced I am that I am on a good path with some good people.

WolfNicholas_23PWRRYDSteve_Lee
  • Link to the theme demo:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlHuPRQmBiX2iIRvZBnQaLZB0eaH1Q?e=gl7iVT

Track listing:

1. Extreme - Get The Funk Out.wav
    2. Katie Melua - The Cry of the Lone Wolf.wav
    3. Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - Running with Our Eyes Closed.wav
    4. Landon Pigg - Falling In Love At A Coffee Shop.wav
    5. Deadmau5 - Soma.wav
    6thplanetjhollander
    I have a signature.
  • Thanks for this event, I loved it so much better than the only other one that had been too. Actually chit chatted and got to know a few of you. Had to skip out a little early but was already looking forward to interacting with you all again in the future. Lots of experiential data to digest and relish hehe

Eggguy
  • @PWRRYD said:
    Thanks Ben, Chuck, Ken, and anyone else who help this year.

I would love to take credit but I had nothing to do with the planning and execution of the event. I just showed up. :)

jr@macPWRRYDSteve_LeeWolf4thtry
  • Thanks to Ben & Chuck for another great event. Had a great time; took tons of pictures, as usual. Also thanks to JR for the demo disc, it sounded excellent. Thanks to Nick for all the set up and tear down work during the event. Thanks to Ken, who gave me an old 6V6 tube amplifier chassis to work on. I still have to get going on the 807 tube chassis that you gave me several years ago! Much appreciated! Thanks to Drew for the improved higher voltage 6J1 preamp PCB and xformers. I'll get these soldered up for a listen and report back on sound quality differences, if any. Thanks to Craig for the small 1.75amp variac. This will work great for restoring old tube radios and other small projects that draw less than an amp or so. And thanks to everyone that brought speakers this year. Lots of great sounding designs. Congrats to Nick on winning the competition. Round 3 (the final round) was close: 8 hands for David and 12 hands for Nick. And finally, congrats to Mark for the Lifetime Achievement Award. He was always the one giving out this award over the years and it was really nice to see him actually receive the award this time around. Well deserved!

EggguySteve_Lee
  • Thank you to all that attended! We do this because of our own love for all things diy. We do this so that we can further the DIY community. We do this because of all of you. It's one of those things that I look forward to every year.
    For the 1st time since my first event in 2009, I did not have a project. There have been times I had 5! I shares the why's with a few of you.
    Seeing and hearing all of your beautiful work has relit my desires to create! And I cannot thank you enough!

kenrhodesSteve_Lee
  • @kenrhodes said:

@PWRRYD said:
    Thanks Ben, Chuck, Ken, and anyone else who help this year.

I would love to take credit but I had nothing to do with the planning and execution of the event. I just showed up. :)
    I think Ken is right, I didn't see him do anything either.

WolfPWRRYDjr@macugly_woofer4thtrySteve_Leekenrhodes6thplanet
  • @Wolf said:

@6thplanet said:
    Analogkid's name is Erik

I was thinking that, but thought I was wrong.

Yep, it's Erik and yes I won the CSS tweeters! Had a blast! Thanks to everyone involved!

Eggguy
  • Thank you Ben, Chuck and JR (and anyone else I should have mentioned) for putting on the event!

• @DaveFred said:
    Thank you Ben, Chuck and JR (and anyone else I should have mentioned) for putting on the event!

I was merely a guest at this one.

I have a signature.
  • edited April 29

Okay, house tracks went a slightly different direction this year. Last few years, I incorporated noises or snips between tracks to cleanse the aural pallet. I did use a few shorter sections this year for fun of interesting sounds, etc. I was mainly focused on getting as many instruments or sounds in the shortest amount of time to thoroughly explore them in the entries. Some songs were not favorites of some present people, but the reason they were chosen seemed to be more clear without stating so. Due to fewer entries, I did not cut the length down and left it at about 8 minutes in length. Some felt it was too long, but we had more time with each entry and just enjoyed them a bit longer. Reasons for use also follow.

0- Coloured Noise - Green Noise (MCB Electronics, 2023); used to more easily center on the output level at about 500Hz, and ease the demand of smaller speakers.

1- Bernstein/Prokofiev/NY Philharmonic - Peter and the Wolf (CBS 1960, transferred/remixed to digital 1985, MYK 37765); voice of Leonard Bernstein and strings of Peter in the story.

2- FireFall - Sweet Ann, from Remaster of Elan (Warner/BGO Records, 1978, Remastered 2016, BGOCD1234); '70s rock with flute etc.

3- Susanna Hoffs - All I Want, from self-titled (London/Polygram Records, 1996, 4228288202); strong plucked bass, some acoustic guitar, and sweet gravel voiced Hoffs.

4- Warblers of Ohio - Prairie Warbler, from Bird Sounds (Division of Wildlife); rising sweep really pronounced tweeter sound. (short)

5- Adam Again - Worldwide, from Dig (Brainstorm/Word 1992, 7100523672); went for the whistle and the initial rock kick. Not REM. Seemed to be the earworm of the group...

6- The Awakening - Amethyst, from The Fourth Seal of Zeen (Intervention Arts/Intervention Music, 2006, South Africa, INT010); minor key dark gothic electronica with low male vocal. Not Type O Negative.

7- Phantom of the Opera Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (Warner Bros, 2004, Sony Classical SK93521) - Masquerade; dynamic brassy performance (short)

8- Chantal Chamberlain - Ain't No Sunshine/I Can't Stand the Rain; from Temptation (Governess Music/Evosound.com, 2019, SACD, EVSA718S); husky female voice with piano and clear acoustic guitar work.

9- Mortification - Primitive Rhythm Machine (Intense/Frontline Records, 1995, FLD9526), from the same title; drumwork from metal song not for the meek. (short)

10- Tony Rich - Grass Is Green, from Words (LeFace Records, 1995, 73008-26022-2); Something different than your average speaker demo song and seemed to be well received, layers and bass.

11- Kekal - Between Us, from Audible Minority (Whirlwind, 2012); Indonesian experimental metal band concept album, "clang-clang- thump-thump" sound for decay. (short)

12- Havalina Rail Company - Twilight Time, taken from 7Ball Gas Sampler #3 (VoxCorp, Inc, 1997), Originally from Russian Lullabies (Jackson Rubio/Hairy Desert Pig/High Art for the Working Class, 1997); Analog sounding swinging jazz with sax and reverberant hollow body guitar.

Seemed a lot of these went over well with the crowd. I will try and keep it shorter next year....

• @jr@mac said:

@DaveFred said:
    Thank you Ben, Chuck and JR (and anyone else I should have mentioned) for putting on the event!

I was merely a guest at this one.

True, but you had a hand in the plan of the theme by way of the tracks utilized. It's really nice to have a 3rd party whom keeps them to themselves so nobody knows what to expect. Thank you again for that participation. It is much appreciated.

1. Definitely thought REM
    2. Assumed Type O, but something not quite right. Now I know why😬
  • If anyone of you got a bad copy of the event disc of cuts and full lengths and it has glitches in it, please let me know. My copy with the "cuts only" is fine as we used that both days. It wouldn't take much to make another copy since that copy is good and the cuts are still all ripped to the laptop. The reason I'm saying something is the cuts + full lengths copy I made for me has some bad spots. I just got to listening to it today.

The LG burner I've had for awhile now was acting funny during a few of the burning processes in the middle of last week. I plan on getting another burner unit for more reliable use in the near future. This was a cheap one Walmart had when I realized the internal burner had died in the now dead old laptop some 6-7 years ago. I bet I've burned 100 discs through it, so it has had some time on it....

Analogkid455
  • I haven't had a chance to listen to mine yet. Will let you know.

• edited May 3

It seems my full lengths are just fine with no blemishes. The cuts alone have issues. The rest should be fine too.

Erik- the cuts you have on that pre-final disc were adjusted for length and fade in and out (save for one of them, I had to fix it later). There is no Green noise on it. They are, however, not leveled. I know there are no blemishes on that copy, as I had to rerip that disc and adjust for level to make the event disc we used all day.
    This is why I make copies of the steps until I get them right. I had to set levels, and then do it again when I heard they were clipped. Your disc was the second most important disc I burned, only surpassed by the one used, and followed by the copies for the attendees.

Edit: Yes, the Mortification and Kekal songs are as they should be. :^)

Analogkid455
  • I briefly went through it after copying it into iTunes, of what I listened to, no problems.

Wolf
  • Thanks Ben. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. I really want to, to see how it sounds on my reference system and compare to my entry system. I am off work tomorrow so I can finally check it out.