Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Tweeter Recommendations

I'm looking for a great tweeter with excellent off-axis performance for use in a 3-way crossed above 3k.
Max = $100

maynardg

Comments

• edited November 2023

Aside from it being common... any reason not to use an ND20FA (or B )?

• edited November 2023

Define "excellent". Assuming controlled directivity is excellent, do you want wide or narrow pattern. Tweeter is only one consideration for off-axis performance, what is the midrange size, driver separation, location on baffle, shape of baffle?

Perhaps not what you're looking for, TW030WA11/12 has excellent off-axis performance, very low distortion and supports a crossover far lower than what you need. Ask Dave what his price is on those ;). Don't want the waveguide and large footprint, go with TW030WA13/14.

Steve_Lee
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • edited November 2023

Hiq ow1

• $100 each or $100 for a pair?

• At 3K you can use a ribbon or AMT which fit the excellent "category". For domes there's lots of excellent SB tweeters with good off axis performance. The Wavecor are excellent as well.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • The OP specified cost at $100 Max.
    I 2nd the suggestion of an AMT.

PWRRYD
  • @PWRRYD said:
    $100 each or $100 for a pair?

each

• If it's $100/each - maybe the Fountek NeoCD1.0.

rjj45
  • Maybe RT1.3WE

Tom_SSteve_LeeColonel7Turn2
  • @ugly_woofer said:
    Hiq ow1

Over budget

• GRS RT1.R-8 Comes in under budget, has excellent horizontal dispersion because it's a ribbon.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • SB Acoustics SB21RDC-C000-4 Ring Dome Tweeter
    Cyber Monday sale for $35, which likely ends soon.

Steve_Lee
  • CSS LD22 could be another good option.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • I think the OP needs to address dcibel's ^ query before proceeding as some of these suggested tweeters are going to have serious diffraction issues depending upon the baffle width and angular slope/shape . . .

• @ScottS said:
    CSS LD22 could be another good option.

+1

• It just squeaks in at $99, but you could look at the Wavecor TW0303WA11 or 12. Vance Dickason tested it here: https://audioxpress.com/article/Test-Bench-Wavecor-TW030WA12-30-mm-Cloth-Waveguide-Loaded-Tweeter

• I had both Wavecor TW0303WA11 and TW0303WA12. Impressive in some ways but not for this 3-way project.

• Both the Seas 27TFFC and the Tymphany OX20SC00-04 are tweeters I've used before and love, both have good to excellent off-axis and sound very natural to my ears. The latter is a steal at it's price IMO.

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Unless there are QC issues of which I am unaware, I'm gonna die on that ND20FA hill.

Steve_Lee
  • I've used both of those little ND20 boogers 2-3 times now. Solid for the cost that used to be $6.

• edited December 2023

Oh yeah, the cost is way up. I wouldn't hold that against the little guy. Rare earth magnets got expensive and the entire world found out what 18 months of sick days does to your supply chain.

Steve_Lee
  • Another excellent option unless the 92mm faceplate causes you issues.

• It is very good.
    I suggested the RDC ring dome version above - the "dimple" dome is just a little flatter on axis. Normally a little more expensive but actually cheaper with the Cyber Week sale price.

I have not used the RDC but I have the SDC in an Augerpro waveguide in my bedroom right now.

• edited December 2023

@dcibel said:
    Define "excellent". Assuming controlled directivity is excellent, do you want wide or narrow pattern. Tweeter is only one consideration for off-axis performance, what is the midrange size, driver separation, location on baffle, shape of baffle?

The OP hasn't responded to this. So I wonder whether this is part of the challenge/issue.

Which is of these is excellent off axis response? Can we even agree? Do we even know? Or is it listener/room/program material dependant?

Edit: updated photos pending

• Often wondered this same question. If we have a very live room, wouldn't we want something more directional?

• I will go with the SB Acoustics SB21SDC-C000-4.
    Thanks to everyone for your input.

• I am interested in the tweeter grpahs posted by @tktran and the interpretations and implementations. Can we separate this out to another thread please?

rjj45Steve_Lee
  • @ani_101 said:
    I am interested in the tweeter grpahs posted by @tktran and the interpretations and implementations. Can we separate this out to another thread please?

Useless information, just use PCD you'll be fine :p

Perhaps not the best examples for a tweeter discussion, top and middle charts are fairly redundant, power/DI is fairly similar although top needs the FR pounded into shape. Bottom shows a speaker of wider directivity pattern, however both top and bottom and fairly well controlled, so which is "best"? Personally, I tend to prefer the more narrow pattern, and seating ~3m. With smaller rooms where seating can be far from the sweet spot, perhaps a wider pattern is preferred.

Regardless, OP just wanted a "what tweeter is good and affordable" without any other detail, actual speaker off-axis performance is still up in the air.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.