Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Cnc talk

Comments

• There are 4 versions, all mdf and acme threaded "joes 2006" which i think is like 800-1500 to build,

Hybrid which uses lead screws and extrusion with mdf plates. I think this goes for about $2500-3000

Evolution is extrusions, vwheels, rack and pinion drive and has 3/4" plate aluminum. This is about 4500-6000 depending on the base. You can use china electronics to get the cost down but i have no experience with them and have been looking at the reviews. 

Cncrp has 2 plug and play electronics kits 1600 (nema23) and 2550 (nema34). 

I can send a cost break down of the joes but the plans are watermarked with my name and he askes not to distribute them. 
  • the cost break down is good enough for now. Does joe's uses CNC Router parts or generic ones? any particular benefit you see in Joe's over CNC RP?
  • I see people prefer the velox zaxis over the cncrp in some forums. If you were going to the pro version lf cncrouter parts the joes is cheaper but you end up doing a ton of labor. Drilling and tapping a bunch of holes in steel and aluminum (like 300 holes) its not a kit so you have to order everything from different venders. In my cost breakdown joes has a welded steel base and going from a 4x4 to a 4x8 is about a 200-300 dollar difference. The base kit from cncrp is about 500-800 dollars on top of their machine. I estimated a 4x4 cncrp pro kit is about 6500 or so. Vs 5300 for joes. 

Ive saw a 5x10 joes units with 2 gantrys on it that was pretty cool. You could do a wood base but i think cncrp would be better this route because it has an extruded aluminum bed you can fasten to the wood frame whereas the joes has two long rails and no bed. Im considering the cncrp 4x4 regular model as i think ill end up making small signs and stuff to try and recover cost. If it goes well ill continue to upgrade my shop. 
  • The building time is also a huge consideration. I liked the cnc router parts, as in it comes with all items required, and we need to assemble it, rather than source them. I too was leaning toward the 4x4, which i think would be good enough for most stuff and more importantly, take up less space.... also, i don't have a good way to transport full sheet, so i get them broken down in small pieces.
  • The average build time is 2 to 3 months for a joes based on the threads in the private forum. Thats alot of labor hours. I would rather get it up and going in like 1 or 2 weekends with a kit. Its really not alot more money for cncrouter parts. Unless you buy their spindle which is $1600 vs china spindle for $350. There is a longsmotor company on ebay that sells a nema 34 kit for $450 and you would probably use a smoothstepper board to use ethernet to control it. 

Guys are saying a new 64bit pc either doesnt have or has issues with serial cables and they prefer usb or ethernet connector. So if your handy with wiring and researching you could probably get a spindle and electronics for about $1300. Or stick with a router and relay to turn it on and adjust speed manually. 
  • Phil Arcario build a dedicated PC to run my CNC. It doesn't have to be pricey but fast and stable processor, helps.
    The consensus is that Ethernet connection is better and causes less lag. My PC that runs Mach3 and CNC does not have internet connection. It uses Ethernet to power CNC controller.
  • I went to a vintage vinyl album store this past weekend the guy sells records, tons of electronics and pc's etc. I got a nice workstation its a intel xeon dual core that is pretty peppy with a video card with monitor, keyboard and mouse for $100! This pc will be offline only in the garage no internet whatsoever (aside from the smoothstepper ethernet communication to the bob) Its a heavy beast too. Im gonna go back and get a laptop he had too so i can use that to design and transfer stuff back and fourth easily. 

Im gonna go with a cncrputer parts kit. So this should be a fun process. Its going to be a tough learning curve but my wife is excited to do stuff with it as well. 
    greywardenkennyk
  • Congrats and good deal on the the PC. The Xeon is a business class chip and though not flashy is a stable work horse. I will be following your build closely, to be (hopefully) followed by my own build.
  • Ok, cnc machine order submitted.

I jist got an email about this pcb board software (free and webbased) 
    http://carbide3d.com/blog/2017/introducing-carbide-copper/?utm_source=drip&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=copper-launch

• This would be a good project and cheap overall.
    http://www.stumpynubs.com/two-stage-drum-sander.html
  • Its gonna be like 3 weeks before my cnc machie ships. Im a sad boy. 

So, any one know if you need 3d software to make faceted baffles? I got a few builds i need to finish and would like to use them as practice. 
  • For faceted baffles, yes, 3d software and ball nosed bit and 3d carving. See Romans fancy build... And thicker stock. Else CNC the baffle and use traditional method of making facets.

But with CNC, you need not make straight edge facets, but can go for curved facets!!!
  • Any 3D modeler will do it. It's a very basic thing.
    As Ani mentioned, you can do whatever surfaces you like. Flat plains are obsolete. :)
  • I was leaning toward vcarve pro, i dont want to drop 2k on aspire. Rhinocam and the other big name one are like 2-4k. Hopefully its possible in fusion 360 free version lol
  • edited April 2017
    Rhino5 is 3D modeler. If you know someone who is in school, you can get it for $200.
    Rhino5 is extremely versatile and powerfull. And you can run Grasshopper and Python thru it.
    Then you'll need a tool-path generator. Rhinocam  which is made by different company is $1200. But you don't have to have Rhinocam. Any other compatible with Mach3 tool-path generator will do just fine.

• edited April 2017
    unedited video of cutting test front baffle for Mike. In the first part I took the dust shoe off but the the cut fills with MDF dust instantaneously. Then I vacuumed the dust, took out center cut-outs and run the toolpath again just to show what was happening.

and this is edited to 2 min.

kennykani_101D1PP1N
  • So jealous of that spindle. 
  • edited April 2017
    A customer of mine got a notice of violation from NYC. He is a restaurant owner. Moved AC unit in a backyard and somehow the noise together with other AC units adds up to borderline illegal for the tenants up on the 4th floor. It's not just my customer, it's also Dunkin Donuts and their big friging AC. How NYC inspector measures Db level is a mystery also.
    In any event, I went on site to asses the situation and decided to just build a corner panel around AC unit with some mineral fiber. The AC unit produces 81db at full power at 1m. So, we hope to drop it down to 78Db or so after the panel is installed.
    The location is a spooky yard, surrounded by pre-war buildings. Rusted steel staircases and delaminating paint.
    So, I thought, I have a bit fun with it.

Watching x-files for a moth leaves a psychological footprint
    Hahahahahaha

jr@mackennykTurn2D1PP1Nani_1014thtryNicholas_23FaceGowa6thplanet
  • Possibilities for side work seem quite high!
    kennyk
  • Is that the kent dust shoe or did you make your own?
    kennyk
  • D1PP1N said:
    Is that the kent dust shoe or did you make your own?
    Hmm..?
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • D1PP1N said:
    I used Kent. Didn't have time or desire to make my own then I fired up the machine.
    Next time, I'll make my own.

• Installed the alien today.  :)

D1PP1Nkennykjr@mac6thplanet
  • D1PP1N said:
    I used Kent. Didn't have time or desire to make my own then I fired up the machine.
    Next time, I'll make my own.
    Do you dislike the kent shoe or think you could make a better one? 
  • I like Kent. Nothing wrong with it. CNCRP didn't have the DXF for DIY version back then I build my router and I was too busy to deal with designing my own dust shoe.. That's why I got Kent. Having drawing ready makes the project very easy so if Kent ever breaks (meaning, I crash the spindle in to a part and destroy the shoe) I'd make the one CNCRP designed. They are essentially the same thing.
  • Hi mike,

if you do get around to making your own shoe, do you mind posting where you sourcing your materials from?
  • The link i posted from cnc router parts has the bom for it. I think they use mcmaaster carr or grainger
  • Am not sure where to get the 1" and 0.5" hdpe/abs and the brush strip from. Not everyday material I come across!