Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Project CS24 - MTMW

Comments

• Visual creatures we are as humans - gonna use any brad nails or just glue and sand flush?

• I bet these will be bad ass

• edited March 17

Thanks Nick. I sure hope so. I think those little Tang Band W3-1364SA mids should work well. I like the fact that they are an under-hung design, have a neo magnet, have a copper ring , and a super light weight moving mass (1.78 g). My simulations show that the pair of them will easily keep up with the RS270P-4 if I let the woofer carry the bulk of the BSL weight. That means crossing around 400-500 Hz is easy peazy. I've used its bigger brother the W4-1320SIF and really liked the thin bamboo cones.

Turn2
  • Nothing ground breaking here but a lot of times I get frustrated trying to hold or balance something during assembly. Since 99.9% of my projects are one and done I don't feel right building jigs out of expensive wood products. So I stand back for a few minutes and look around to see what I have on hand...

This is just a leftover box that was going to the recycling can later today:

Some quick work with my Xacto knife:

ugly_wooferhifisidekenrhodes6thplanet
  • So far so good! Very happy with how these are turning out... hopefully I don't screw them up moving forward. I am almost close enough that I can take some meaningful measurements before committing to spending the time and money on finishing products.

ugly_woofertajanesSteve_Leejr@macSilver1omo6thplanethifisideEggguyTom_STurn2and 3 others.
  • I hope to get to hear these, I'm digging it!

• Nice ! Curious how you cap the four tops and bottoms of the tubes.

• I'll just cut some semi-circles out of scrap wood and gorilla glue them in. I plan to cap the entire top and bottom of the speakers with nice pieces of hardwood after I veneer the bodies.

jr@macSteve_Leetajanesrjj45ugly_woofer
  • edited March 19

You could also do the classic cap the top and bottom and a grill cloth sock around the middle.

Steve_Lee
  • I'll have to look when I get home but I'm pretty sure the W3 surrounds sit proud of the baffle. Maybe the LD-22 dome too.

• @PWRRYD said:
    I'll just cut some semi-circles out of scrap wood and gorilla glue them in. I plan to cap the entire top and bottom of the speakers with nice pieces of hardwood after I veneer the bodies.

This was a build with kerf cut bending, but I like your sonotube build better.

tajanes6thplanetSteve_Lee
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Yep! That's what I'm thinking. Last time I used a 3/4" roundover on them. This time I might just do an 45 deg bevel.

rjj45
  • This was the project:

rjj45Steve_LeeColonel7
  • Great designers think alike! I used TB w4-1320 bamboo mids in the cabs above.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I loved my W4-1320SIF drivers!

Turn2
  • edited March 19

A little tracing with a sharp #2 pencil and I cut a template from Masonite, hardboard, whatever it's technically called :)

• Only took about 1 minute each to cut these:

ugly_wooferjr@mackenrhodeshifisideSteve_Leejohnny5jzrjj45
  • @PWRRYD said:
    I loved my W4-1320SIF drivers!

You just like the fact it has 1320 in the part number.😎

jr@mactajanesugly_wooferNicholas_23
  • Well yeah, of course.

• I got all eight semi-circles glued in. They fit so well I didn't have to use Gorilla glue (I don't really like that stuff), just my standard Titebond III. Weather is gonna suck for a while but I should be able to fill the tubes with kitty litter and get some decent preliminary measurements for a "this project should work vs these are going to the burn pile".

Steve_Lee6thplanetjhollanderrjj45
  • You're an animal. My projects alway take forever. =)

Steve_Lee

• Time to stop at Walmart and pick up some kitty litter (we don't have a cat).

6thplanetkenrhodesSteve_Leetajanesjohnny5jzugly_wooferrjj45Silver1omo
  • Years ago I filled some metal speaker stands with aquarium sand and it worked well. I think I went with sand over litter due to less moisture absorption?

• I've used play sand before. It was very wet when I cut open the bag. I had to dry it in the sun for a few hours. I think the sand is about twice as heavy as the clay litter but I'm sure the litter will work perfectly fine for this. Walmart has a non-scented, non-clumping bag of it for < $2.00.

• Yeah, play sand will have moisture. I used Black silica sand aquatic substrate from Imagitarium.

• You defiantly don't want your speakers clumping - you want em thumpin'!

6thplanetPWRRYDugly_wooferSteve_Lee
  • edited March 22

Wit meter turned up to 11 there Tom! Well played! =)

• Side tubes filled with kitty litter and sealed up with some hot glue. I really packed it in there. Each speaker gained 7 pounds! They are dead as a rock to the knuckle rap test.

kenrhodesrjj45a4eaudiotajanesSilver1omojohnny5jzNicholas_23hifisideTom_SWolfand 5 others.