Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Guitar Build , Audio related

Comments

• No duratex , not sure if Craig was being funny or not.
  • Getting there ...
    4thtrykennyk
  • Ah ok... Paint is good. Thought you wanted clear...

Maybe truck bed liner, it a bit rubbery and softer than duratex
  • I was TRYING to be funny.  I THINK most guitar bodies are shot with lacquer paint. 

(notice how I did the Grumpy Roemer CAPS thing)  ;)
    greywarden
  • Ha! A duratex finish would definitely be road worthy ;)
  • Not sure if you are asking any questions here, but you can get some parts from grizzly.com
  • Primed the back to see where I was at with the body , needs a little work yet. 
    4thtry
  • Did I miss it? What finish are you going for on the body?  Straight paint, Sunburst?
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • What Im hoping for 

Image result for jalapeno green jazzmaster
    D1PP1N
  • I have used nitrocellulose sealer in MDF "endgrain" before the primer with success. 
    I guess that almost any sanding sealer would help preventing the grain to show.
  • The large open pore grain is going to telegraph through.  Seems like the picture above might be showing the grain coming through the paint.  Might try to take advantage grain with a high metallic paint to see if you can flop the reflections in the grain.

Something more subtle than this http://www.projectguitar.com/forums/topic/48820-dichrocaster-build/

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Thanks for the info guys. John , those guitars in the link look interesting. Ill read some more into that finish. If I cant get things where I want them to be , I may look into a different finish . 
  • Back in the saddle boys , started streaming some steely dan and threw on another coat of filler. I went to grab what I thought was the 220 block only to find out it was the 320 a couple minutes in . Muuuuuuuch much better results with the finer grain 320 , enough so that Im hoping I can hit the back again with some primer today and see how it looks.
  • I havent finished a guitar before but the polished finished i did on the carrera translam turned out pretty good but still had a few little spots here and there. I sand up to 600grit so im thinking you have to sand to 600 or higher to get a perfect finish. I could be wrong too lol. 
    Nicholas_23
  • Im starting to feel better about this ash , Im getting some good vibes. 

D1PP1N4thtry
  • I may not post any more of the prep work as it's getting repetitive. Believe or not though, progress is being made. 
    4thtry
  • I'm going to try some different filler on the front of the guitar , anyone ever use this stuff? Suppose to be good for those bouche pores too
  • It’s looking good! I have used that timber mate before, and allthough I’m not much of a woodworker, I think it is top notch. Really nice and super easy to work with.
  • Thanks Dynamo, yeah this stuff is top notch. I wish I found it sooner. The diluted spackle was good but this stuff is on another level. You can use it as a putty or dilute it with some warm water , which is what I did for a grain filler. Stinks a little but super easy to work with. I'm going to put one more coat on the top , sand and see how she looks
  • Well shit , laid down a coat of primer to see where things were at and these little bastards showed up. Not sure if these are glue cracks or just wood that has started to separate, I'm thinking the later.
  • Took a break from body work and did some test fitting. The pickguard will be replaced with one that fits the bridge better. Starting to look like something.
    D1PP1Njr@macJasonP4thtrykennyk
  • Test fitting on the squier jazzmaster 
  • Gonna use gold hardware?
  • Yes sir , not a fan of gold but if I go with the color I have in mind , it should look good. 
  • I happen to be a fan of gold hardware
  • If it didn't tarnish so damn bad , I have Les Paul ES with gold hardware and most of it looks chrome now. What flavor of bass is that? Almost looks like a Carver?