Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

DakotaDIY

13»

Comments

• Wolf said:

I liked the other Skrillex/Korn hit more; Narcissistic Cannibals.

Glad you used Nightwish!

I like Narcissistic Cannibals too, I just wound up taking a fancy to the technical complexity in the cut from Get Up for demonstration purposes.

How could I not run some Nightwish?  :p The Rivals were still hooked up during a break so I hit 'em with it for some background music while the 2.1 setup was getting connected.
  • Please put a caption on the pics with the person, name of build, etc.  I'd like to be able to associate the name/build/face with you guys I've been chatting with on the forums for the past few years.  One of these days I will make a meet, by far I'd much prefer a smaller relaxed meet like this one.  Keep up the good work buys.          
  • Mine were the ugly little Peerless 830656/BC25SC06-04 and the slightly less ugly Dynavox LW6004PMR-NC/XT25TG30-04. I don't know if Bill got any pictures of me.
  • This is Tom:

• edited July 2018

I keep thinking about an easy way to add captions to pics to include maybe just the name of the build and then just the first name (no last names) of the builder.   But then I never seem to do it.  I need to find some way for the camera to easily keep track of this info for me.  I don't want to go around with paper and pen asking everyone for the name of their speaker.  If I could get my camera to add a short audio track to any picture, as I scroll through my pics in playback mode, then this would work great.   Have not figured out how to do that yet.

I do have the ability to shoot a short 5 second video of each speaker to include this data, but this would be too much work and would burn up too much space on my SD card.    I need to be able to sit down somewhere during the event and scroll through my pictures on the camera in playback mode, adding short little audio files to each pic with the builder, name of build, drivers, etc.  

• 4thtry said:

I do have the ability to shoot a short 5 second video of each speaker to include this data, but this would be too much work and would burn up too much space on my SD card.   

You just have to get over the mental hurdle of large files with video. I shot some interviews for two 30 second commercials at work last week in 4K @ around 100mb/s. The imported clips were over 30 gigs - then I had about 80-90 stills in both RAW & jpeg. It adds up quickly, but thankfully storage is fairly cheap these days. 
    jr@mac
  • I have two 32GB cards in my D800.  I shoot in raw format which fills the cards up fast.  At an event, I generally fill up one card completely and about half of the other card.  Video, if I did this, would be shot at 720P 60fps.   I did some testing and a bunch of 5 to 10 second clips would fill up my 2nd card quickly.  If I switched over to two 64GB cards, a bunch of small video clips would probably be no problem.  It would be kind of clunky to do this, as I would have to point the camera at the speaker in question, hit video record,  and then ask the builder to step over and speak his name, speaker name, and drivers into the camera microphone.   It would be very difficult, however, to do this to all the speakers at an event.   
  • John Hollander keeps track of the names and peeps by the "project tent" method. The card stock pieces on the top give him all he needs to know.
  • edited July 2018

John does a good job of pulling all this information together.  But his system seems like too much paperwork for me.   I'm looking for something faster to log the same info without having to write everything down.

If the speaker has a name card on top of it, I just take a close-up pic of the card and then back away and snap the entire speaker.  Done.  If there are no name cards, then I need to find the designer to see if the speaker has a name.  I have the camera in one hand and my flash in the other.  I don't want to set my camera down to find a pen & paper.  Be nice if I could just tell my camera to start recording a short audio file that would be automatically linked to the currently viewed photo.  Then I could log all the needed caption info without ever having to set down my camera. 

• edited July 2018
    I was going to suggest the old newspaper reporter method of using a small voice recorder, but you'd still need a third hand for that too. What you really need is an intern! 

Someone does make a camera with audio notation options, but I can't remember what brand. But I hate changing brands - relearning menus and muscle memory can mean missed shots.
  • edited July 2018
    Bill, I take a picture of the tent then a picture of the speaker.  It usually works unless I get interupted and forget if I have a picture of the tent or speaker. 

I only write everything down to double check.  I'm also counting the tent numbers looking for missing numbers.  I'm also writing down all the information for the guys who did not do a tent.

If there are no tents I'd do dry erase marker on a piece of white plastic with the designer/ builders name.  Interested people can contract the designer for the details.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Maybe a micro sized "tape" recorder Velcro'd to the lens cap of my camera.   Pressing a small button would start and stop the recording.    Something cheap like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Recorder-Function-Recording-Dictaphone/dp/B075JGYWRF/ref=sr_1_8/131-1233743-6247158?ie=UTF8&qid=1531083032&sr=8-8&keywords=small+digital+voice+recorder

PWRRYD
  • I will provide tents at future events, solves all the things.
    4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • My signature goes here