Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Meniscus get together

Comments

• I was really happy to be a part of this project. I'll try to do a write up on the board. I might also try to put a kit together with a circuit board. I do think it is a great engineering tool.
    JasonPPWRRYDBryan@MAC4thtryThumperTom
  • kenrhodes said:
    I was really happy to be a part of this project. I'll try to do a write up on the board. I might also try to put a kit together with a circuit board. I do think it is a great engineering tool.
    I’d be happy to post your write up on the MAC archive page along with some of Bill’s pics. Please message me if you have any questions.
    4thtry
    My signature goes here
  • Just sort of randomly ran into this in Javad's facebook group. It's a video that shows the Meniscus process of winding inductors.

The video should be viewable without having to log into facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DIYLoudspeakerProjecPad/permalink/699842673704906

Gowarjj454thtryjhollanderJasonPThumperTomWolfNicholas_23
    My signature goes here
  • Wolf's speakers:  The Fenrir's sounded very good.  Excellent imaging and top end clarity from that 3/4" tweeter.  Rival R176P-8 3/4" tweeter and Wavecor TW022WA06-4 woofer, Fb 41Hz.  

"Overdrive 10 subwoofer":  Dayton Ultimax UM10-22 mounted inside about 5 inches behind a RSS315PR passive radiator.  Yung SD500-6 plate amp on the back.  All this in a small 1 cu. ft. box!!  The deep bass note on the Royals track came through loud and clear, much louder than any other speaker played that day.

I was somewhat confused when I looked at your "in progress" Tandem enclosure, because it did not look like what I had remembered from your thread drawings.  So I went back and looked at your drawings again.  Now I see.  There will be an additional 22 liter chamber added behind the isobarik woofers, turning the current odd shape into a rectangular box.  Cool!

• Dan's speakers:  Beautiful cabinets with box joint pin & slot detail.   Alternating the grain of the top & sides creates a very pleasing light/dark contrasting pattern.  Nice. And they sounded as good as they look!

•   Here are my Totally Flat speakers, with outboard xovers.  They use the Dayton AMT Mini 8 tweeters, the Tectonic Elements 3" sandwich cone mids (balanced mode radiators, BMR), and the Dayton LW150-4 woofers.  Crossovers are 4200Hz and 350Hz, 12dB/octave electrical.

I purchased these woofers from Bryan at InDIYana and I am glad I did.  They seem to work good in a 10 liter box tuned to 40Hz.  Vance D. recently reviewed them in VC magazine, using this same box size and tuning.

During playback, Rory was holding the preamp remote and he really cranked the volume, up much higher than I would have played them. :o    When the Royals track started, I was amazed that they held together with no audible voice coil popping or doubling!!!  :)  The lowest note was a little weak, but it still came through as an audible shutter in the 30 to 35Hz area!

• Sorry, I do not recall the designer of these tiny speakers.  Small full ranger using the Dayton 3.5" PS95-8.  Smooth sounding from top to bottom, limited low frequency extension by themselves.  They were played with Wolf's subwoofer system, blended in, I believe, at 75Hz, 4th order.  This worked pretty good, but the leading edge of the low freq transient pulses sounded somewhat disconnected from the satellite speaker positions.

• I have a few more to post, but out of time for today.   Let me know if you'd like me to post some more later this week.   Thanks.  Bill
  • Sure, Bill! I'd love to see them...

• Bill, it was great to spend some time talking with you, I always love your projects.
      Thanks for posting pictures! I know I'm not the only one that didn't take pictures, this is a real service to the community.
      The PS95 design was done by BobinGA.  There is a write up over on pett. There is a large capacitor rolling off the bass to prevent excursion problems. A well done design IMHO. They sound pretty good and the WAF factor is through the roof.
  • kenrhodes said:
    Bill, it was great to spend some time talking with you, I always love your projects.
      Thanks for posting pictures! I know I'm not the only one that didn't take pictures, this is a real service to the community.
      The PS95 design was done by BobinGA.  There is a write up over on pett. There is a large capacitor rolling off the bass to prevent excursion problems. A well done design IMHO. They sound pretty good and the WAF factor is through the roof.

Thanks for the info, Ken.  Here is a link to the PETT thread:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/speaker-project-gallery/1377665-bobinga-ps95-8-speakers

• Rory's Neutrino speakers. They use the Tang Band W4-1720 woofers and the SEAS 22TAF/G 20mm dome tweeter.  Mounted in a 5 liter box tuned to 59Hz.  Nice white finish with cool looking dual ports on the back.  Rory brought these to Iowa several years ago.  Here is the full write up from the PETT gallery:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/speaker-project-gallery/52972-the-neutrino-a-high-output-mini-monitor

• edited October 2018

Jeff B's new small speaker design, which I think will be coming out as a kit. It uses the SB Acoustics SB29BAC Beryllium dome tweeter (nice sounding, but expensive) , the Satori W13P 5 inch woofer, and a SB15SFCR-00 5x8" passive radiator.  The oval shaped PR nearly fills the entire back panel of the speaker. Cool.

• edited October 2018

Ani's Penguins speakers.  5″ SB15NRX and CSS LD22C tweeters.  Beautiful translam cabinets and finish.  They sounded just as good as they did at Dakota.

Turn2
  • Not sure, but I think this was D1PP1N's project.  RS28a in denovo waveguide with RS270p-4. Roughtly 1 cu.ft. or so vented.    I did not hear these play; I was probably out in the hallway somewhere or out to lunch.  Very nice finish on the cabinets.

• I did not get the name, designer, or drivers for the following.  If someone could fill this information in for me, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks.   Bill

Gowa
  • Incredible work!
  • Thanks Bill for the Amazing pictures and the wirte-ups. Appreciate all the hard work you put in to get us these images to remember the events by.
  • Thanks Bill - wish I could have been there!
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Yep thanks.  Does anybody know the drivers used in the stand mount MTM with the horizontal plate mounted mid/tweeter in the last group of pictures above?  (3rd and 4th pictures for the bottom of the group.)  Looks interesting. 
  • It's a Sonus Faber speaker. 
    I have a signature.
  • Thanks for the info, JR.  These are the center channel speakers from the Olympica system.  I think one of Craig K's friends brought them along.  Here is a link to a full review of this system, with specifications and pricing:

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/speaker/surround-sound-speaker-systems-reviews/sonus-faber-olympica-speaker-system-review/   

• :) Thanks for the comments.  I have a few more pics & panos, but I will hold off for now as I think I am burning up too much server space.  Bryan should be posting the rest of them shortly.     Bill
  • Thanks for the information JR and 4th.

• 4thtry said:

These were Billit's (another Bill S.) "Old Skool" speakers.  He mounted the tweeter to the midrange grill frame and then ran a small wire down the frame to the xover.  They are constructed of 1/2" material.  Excellent sound.  The aluminum cone midrange runs free on the top (no xover parts to tame breakup modes) and I could not hear any "breakup" problems (howling, etc).  I wonder why. 

This was such a great example of DIY at its best, and while I usually agree that our preconceptions color what we hear, that wasn't the case with these speakers.  Here were the preconceptions:

1) Thin wall construction with relatively large panels - panel resonance should be an issue
    2) Lip protruding from baffle edges and grills protruding around drivers - diffraction should be an issue
    3) 3-way crossover with only 6 components including an aluminum cone midrange with no lowpass - everything should be an issue here.
    4) Relatively cheap drivers - no real issue here, but certainly not able to hide behind low distortion or other capabilities

Yet none of these things were issues when the music started playing!  This speaker was very coherent and well balanced from my seat.  Good bass, good imaging - this speaker really did nothing wrong and certainly nothing I could attribute to the preconceptions listed above.  Nice job Bill!

Dan

• edited October 2018
    Nice post Dan.  It is funny how our preconceived notions can create bias.  It's nice when real world examples reset our compass.
  • Can somebody confirm for me that these were the demos used at the Meniscus gig?  I submitted two tracks for Mark to use, but since I wasn't there I just want to make sure they were used. I'll include them on the archive page in the next couple days.

5-min Demo: https://app.box.com/s/i9vkol2zt93cvxa94f4cwxys0b8v2w6f

Vocal Demo for XO test: https://app.box.com/s/6txml213t3a1g0rgasfsuata3lzys1xh

My signature goes here
  • Is there a link to a build thread for Bill S.'s Billit's?  I did some searches for Bill S. and Billit's but cam dry. 
    Thanks
  • The build is called 'Old Skool', and he has a writeup done, but it is not yet posted. The screen-name he uses is 'Billet'.