Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Meniscus get together

13»

Comments

• I think Matt Sobie's build stole the show for the 3way passive setup. I really liked it, those 2x rs210hfs have substantial quality bass output and the satori mid and ss rev tweeter were super detailed without being sharp. There was a few really nice builds there I wouldn't mind having. Bills totally flat design nailed the lorde royals track too. I didnt get to hear craigs isobaric design.

I think these events are just getting too big I think some smaller longer listening session's get togethers would be very beneficial. Its hard to justify driving far to get a 5 minute play time at the rushed shows. Obviously i dont want to exclude people but like i said driving there to listen to 5 minute demos is not uber helpful in learning or analyzing to give feedback. 
  • Bryan@MAC said:
    Can somebody confirm for me that these were the demos used at the Meniscus gig?  I submitted two tracks for Mark to use, but since I wasn't there I just want to make sure they were used. I'll include them on the archive page in the next couple days.

5-min Demo: https://app.box.com/s/i9vkol2zt93cvxa94f4cwxys0b8v2w6f

Vocal Demo for XO test: https://app.box.com/s/6txml213t3a1g0rgasfsuata3lzys1xh

Yes, those were the demo tracks.
  • D1PP1N said:

I think these events are just getting too big I think some smaller longer listening session's get togethers would be very beneficial. Its hard to justify driving far to get a 5 minute play time at the rushed shows. Obviously i dont want to exclude people but like i said driving there to listen to 5 minute demos is not uber helpful in learning or analyzing to give feedback. 
    That’s why we incorporated the informal listening sessions at Iowa. While we have not had the best informal “venues” in the past, it has allowed us to do fun stuff and hang out with bigger crowds, as opposed to cramming a bunch of people in somebody’s hotel room. 

Personally I’m hoping this year’s space will be good for both informal and formal listening. It’s not easy to please everyone but we sure do try. 
    Gowa4thtry
    My signature goes here
  • At least these events aren't like MWAF.  3 one minute tracks...  no thanks.  I think the 5 min house track and 5 min personal demo is a pretty good length of time.  Maybe let the designer have the option of playing a 10 minute personal demo w/o the house track.
  •  PWRRYD said:
    Maybe let the designer have the option of playing a 10 minute personal demo w/o the house track.
    I don't think you could stand for 10 minutes of some of my music.  My bother called John Scofield "whale crying" music.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • PWRRYD said:
    Maybe let the designer have the option of playing a 10 minute personal demo w/o the house track.
    The problem that would create is we wouldn't have a basis for comparison across projects. I pay much more attention to the house track and how it sounds different or the same from project to project. Sometimes this reveals a flaw in the crossover or incompatibility in the driver complement. Sometimes it's too close to call.  Either way, I feel it's important to have a basis for comparison at these events, whether folks pay close attention to detail or not.
    cssaudio14thtry
    My signature goes here
  • Meniscus DIY archive page up @MAC - Thanks once again to Bill S. for his superb photography.

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/event-archive/meniscus-2018/

My signature goes here
  •  PWRRYD said:
    I don't think you could stand for 10 minutes of some of my music.  My bother called John Scofield "whale crying" music.

Each to his own, I'm listening now to Five Peace Band blowing "Raju" live w John McLaughlin . sh!t!
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • It would be easy to grow any of the Mac events to those sizes, we kind of settled on this format to give everyone the option of attending several different styles thru the year.

Mike - you would have loved ddiy this year. 
    I have a signature.
  • That being said, the missus and I are planning on attending one of three next year:

Axpona
    InDIYana
    MAF

See how things go. A lot depends on timing as our kid will be prepping for college.
    I have a signature.
  • Bryan@MAC said:
    PWRRYD said:
    The problem that would create is we wouldn't have a basis for comparison across projects. I pay much more attention to the house track and how it sounds different or the same from project to project. Sometimes this reveals a flaw in the crossover or incompatibility in the driver complement. Sometimes it's too close to call.  Either way, I feel it's important to have a basis for comparison at these events, whether folks pay close attention to detail or not.
    I get that and I'm not trying to force a change to the format.  I just enjoy hearing new (to me) music and some people have really incredible selections.  I think Ron Erickson and Jim Holtz have some of the best demo selections!!!!  Dan N as well as you Bryan have had some really great ones too.  I guess I just don't properly use the house track as it is meant to be used.  Carry on my Wayward Son.
  • My demos are chopped liver, Craig? 

:-p
    I have a signature.
  • No way Brother!  Your demos are more familiar music to me.  Ron and Jim demo stuff I've never heard but end up loving.
    rjj45
  • PWRRYD said:
    No way Brother!  Your demos are more familiar music to me.  Ron and Jim demo stuff I've never heard but end up loving.
    I thought everyone was familiar with the Gyuto Monks. ;-)

Ron

Turn2rjj45
  • edited October 2018
    Nope, never heard of the Monks, but after I googled it for a listen I like it.  Nice to have playing while I do work.
    Ron, can I send you a PM requesting a few names of the non-mainstream artist you would recommend?

• I used Kansas one year for the InDIYana demo, and that particular song! I don't think I do an awful job at demos myself...
  • PWRRYD said:
    No way Brother!  Your demos are more familiar music to me.  Ron and Jim demo stuff I've never heard but end up loving.
    Thanks for the props Craig! I've followed a lot of Ron's selections myself and bought CD's based on listening to it.

Jim
  • jr@mac said:
    My demos are chopped liver, Craig? 

:-p
    No offense, man. You're going to have to be a few more years removed from that Barbie Girl episode before you can compete with Ron, Curt and Jim.
    Bryan@MAC
  • jr@mac said:
    It would be easy to grow any of the Mac events to those sizes, we kind of settled on this format to give everyone the option of attending several different styles thru the year.

Mike - you would have loved ddiy this year. 
    I actually played one of your demo's at meniscus JR. The johnny cash one. 
  • Hmm, I'd take barbie girl over some of the others. 

Speaking of which did anyone give us a time limit this year?  Am I supposed to be uploading something?
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Nope, never heard of the Monks, but after I googled it for a listen I like it.  Nice to have playing while I do work.
    Ron, can I send you a PM requesting a few names of the non-mainstream artist you would recommend?

This link will take you to a Google Drive folder with all the demo tracks I've used over the years. I try to find music that is well recorded and if it's out of the mainstream all the better. The Monks track will drive Dayton ND-105 woofers crazy if the screws aren't torqued down. Everything else will sound just fine.

Ron

• Thanks a lot Ron.