Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

2019 New Build

Comments

• Oil or poly sounds about right. Wipe the surfaces good with acetone before applying the finish. Natural rosewood oils as well as wenge on some occasions will react with the poly.
  • My wenge veneer has sprayed Lacquer.  Lets see how long it lasts.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • How long has yours been, John?
    I learned the acetone trick on an earlier project, good tip to know.
  • About 4 months.  I used denatured alcohol.  The wiping part was the problem I mentioned earlier.
  • Did a 15 degree chamfer on the edge of the top today. It pays to have buddies in the wood working business ๐Ÿ‘ We ran them through his shaper which made quick work of it.

jr@macjhollanderkennykS7910GowaJasonPjoeybuttsrjj45R-CarpenterThumperTomand 1 other.
  • Yeah they could sound like crap but I'd still take them for the wood.
    6thplanetkennykJasonPS7910rjj454thtry
  • I've done a few wenge builds and have used tung oil with no negatives.....

beautiful build.
  • Did a little damage control today. I wasn't happy with how flat the top of the enclosure was once I laid the Wenge top on it. I made up a jig to plane the top flat with my router. Much better fit now ๐Ÿ‘ Tip: I used parchment paper to reduce the friction between the top of the jig and the sled the router was mounted to. Worked fantastic, nice and slippery.
    jhollanderThumperTomrjj454thtry
  • Coppery goodness...

kenrhodesGowa
  • Started the MT part of the project. The baffle will basically be mimicking the base. Rosewood veneer with the Wenge trim. The base is 1/4"aluminum.
    jhollanderPWRRYDGowa4thtry
  • Looks amazing!
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • My camera is going to get a workout at MWAF snapping multiple angles/details.  Excellent work!!
  • OMG! Water jet machines are the SHIT! Made a new friend today, had him cut my base pieces. Guy lives like 30 minutes from me, to close not to utilize this awesomeness.....a lot!
    ๐Ÿค˜๐Ÿ˜ˆ๐Ÿค˜
    rjj45JasonP
  • Slight design change, I inverted the floor spikes....
  • Got the trim cut and applied for the MT baffles today. Surprised myself, usually it's cut an angle you think is close and sand said angle to fit. So I set the chop saw at what I thought would be a close fit. Made the first cut, set it on the baffle, and holy shit! It was perfect, unfucking believable, that never happens in my world. What I thought would take a couple hours of fighting literally took 30 minutes. So happy. Probably jinxed myself, luckily there's a lot of wood to knock on. ๐Ÿ‘
    Silver1omo4thtryrjj45S7910

• The powder I ordered turned out nothing like the picture showed. To dark for my liking, so I moved on to this dark copper spray paint. This looks quite nice if I do say so myself.
    JasonPS7910jhollanderkennyk

• Got all the baffle work done today, made this insert to make the hole for the tweeter. Did a similar deal for the mid and ran a chamfer around the back. Also, drilled and installed the threaded inserts on the bottom to mount it to the aluminum base.
  • wowzer!   <3
    Gowa
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Same LCY ribbons that you used before in the Open Invit8tions? Or is this your second set now?
  • Third, actually. The first two where LCY110's, this set is the older 108's. I don't know why LCY went to a circular opening from the 108's square opening. The 110's have horrible defraction from that circular opening, hence the removal of it on the Invent8tions. I got a good deal on the second set and resold them.
  • You're about the only DIYer I've seen use them.
  • Say- is the 'wave' in the aluminum for a kickstand of sorts on the MT baffle?
  • If your referring to the scallop on the back side, nope, just decoration. As for the LCY's, I love them. They don't suffer from the vertical beaming like the rectangular ribbons because it's basically a square. And the slit down the middle improves on this feature. Very dome like dispersion.