Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• Peak sensitivity, I recall there were some other cheap-o Dayton drivers released not that long ago that used the same metric for sensitivity. Marketing department must have control of the data sheets now ;). It’s funny, if Dayton used peak sensitivity for the old RS series, RS180 becomes a 99dB sensitivity driver!

rjj45
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I think they just make it up as they go since very few of their ratings match the SPL/FR curves they publish.

rjj45
  • They make it up not only because they can, but because they have to. There's no well defined standard for specifying sensitivity, so manufacturers can define their own standard, it's unfortunate that Dayton hasn't a well defined standard of their own so the way sensitivity is specified varies from driver to driver. However, other vague specs such as overall impedance, Le, and others are sort of meaningless when you have a complete plot of the impedance and infinite baffle SPL at a standard 2.83V/1m provided.

FWIW I used to own some Infinity subwoofers that specified sensitivity as peak sensitivity in a poorly tuned box, so a 12" car audio sub was specified with >90dB sensitivity. It definitely made some sales with the car audio crowd who unknowingly just compare the numbers directly and decide that these Infinity subs are better because of higher sensitivity.

For myself, the hope would be that manufacturers provide enough useful information so that people can make an educated purchase decision, then once you have the drivers in hand, throw away the datasheet and make your own data set for the drivers you have.

Steve_Leerjj45kenrhodes4thtry
  • Good news: Popular planar is DOTD.

Not so good news: Is this a deal anymore?

• Ahhh, my first deviation from soft dome tweeters. Seems like they were that same price back around 2010 when I bought them. Still a wonderful unit👍🏼

4thtryPWRRYD
  • That flange is huge! 177mm. Almost as big as a 7" woofer.

• @4thtry said:
    That flange is huge! 177mm. Almost as big as a 7" woofer.

Ah, I see now that I was thinking of the HiVi RT1.3WE, not this one. Never mind.

• Yeah, large flange is a bit of a turn off, as is the price. But it looks like it can cross really low for a planar. If it sounds as good as its smaller brother, the RT1.3WE, it isn't that bad of a deal.

• Second Skin Audio is having a 15% off sale. They make sound deadening, blocking and absorbing products. https://secondskinaudio.com/

Ron

Steve_Lee
  • Here is an old PETT thread discussing this driver. I'm tempted to buy a pair and cross them at 1.7kHz (per the range spec noted above), but it looks like this might not be a good idea. Eric, can you remember where you crossed these on your speakers?

https://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/44568-how-does-the-hivi-rt2c-compare-to-other-planars

• I would not go below 2.5k with these. I did a MTM design with F6 and it did well.
    Yes it's huge, yes it's efficient, no it can't play low.

• Yeah, I think I'm around 2Kish in those speakers. I run the 8 full range with a notch filter. I also know they're limitation volume wise. They'll get plenty loud, but your not gonna have a block party with them.

• edited April 2022

Running the woofer full range with a notch filter > excellent, imo, with the right driver.
    I initially tried that with my beyma 5 coax’s - unfortunately not going to happen with that driver.

• Aerogel FTW!!

rjj45Wolf
  • Lol what the fuck?

Had to scroll way down.

rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • Many of us tried to help PE with web issues. No good resulted.

joeybuttsBillet
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Dayton has a few new class D sub amps. Seem solid on paper, but lack line out and fully adjustable phase correction.

I have a signature.
  • edited June 2022

PE Shopping cart I had saved recently just went up from $199 to $230.
    I just deleted some items from the cart and dumped my entire wish list as well.
    I'm out.

I'll satisfy my desires with what I have on hand and what can be gained elsewhere affordably from here-on out.

It's like the late 70's and early 80's all over again.

Today's price:

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-SUB-1200-12-120-Watt-Powered-Subwoofer-300-629

• Goldmine electronics has a package of 50 2.4ohm Dale 10w resistors for $1.95 today.

• DATSv3 is $100 DOTD at PE right now

• If you buy the case of 24 Peerless DX25 beast mode tweeters they are $24 each at Madisound

• Woot! A hinge is the PE DOTD! Just what Ive been waiting for!

PWRRYDrjj45ugly_woofer
    I have a signature.
  • Yeah, then your next build can be off the hinges!

ugly_wooferjr@mac
  • I'm more of an unhinged builder :p

jr@mac
  • I mean, $0.99 each it would be stupid not to buy 100 of them to get free shipping.

jhollander
    I have a signature.
  • Maybe you can figure a way to mount the hinge on your flashlight.

PWRRYDjr@macrjj456thplanetTurn2S7910
  • @jr@mac said:
    I mean, $0.99 each it would be stupid not to buy 100 of them to get free shipping.

You would have to buy at least 101 of them to get free shipping.

• Well that's a deal breaker. What am I going to do with 101? 100 sure, who can't use 100? 101 is just dumb.

Steve_Lee6thplanet4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    I mean, $0.99 each it would be stupid not to buy 100 of them to get free shipping.

I actually heard this line:
    "Only an engineer of your intelligence would recognize what an outstanding bargain I am offering you"

Colonel7Steve_Lee
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!