Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• At $250 a piece for a 7" driver, I would hope for something that did both bass and midrange well.

Then again, the 3" Tang Band dome mid taught me the value of an ultra low distortion mid. I had a group of neighborhood audio friends over this summer and once we got to my three ways with the TB mids, they really didn't want to listen to anything else.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • @ScottS said:
    At $250 a piece for a 7" driver, I would hope for something that did both bass and midrange well.

Then again, the 3" Tang Band dome mid taught me the value of an ultra low distortion mid. I had a group of neighborhood audio friends over this summer and once we got to my three ways with the TB mids, they really didn't want to listen to anything else.

Is that the same or similar to the new TB 3 inch domes? I loved a Morel dome in a 3 way

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Without getting into whether they are"worth" it... If someone was already thinking about getting them, that's a pretty nice discount.

• @rjj45 said:

@ScottS said:
    At $250 a piece for a 7" driver, I would hope for something that did both bass and midrange well.

Is that the same or similar to the new TB 3 inch domes? I loved a Morel dome in a 3 way

Scott's had those mids in that 3way since 2011. They are the original version of that driver.

rjj45
  • edited November 2022

PE is 15% off site -wide HARVEST15 code

6thplanet
  • Did anyone look at PE's "New 2023 Digital Catalog"? It only has Dayton products and no pricing. That's pretty dumb.

rjj45
  • @Colonel7 said:
    PE is 15% off site -wide HARVEST15 code

Time to buy some woofers.

Ron

rjj45
  • @Wolf said:

@rjj45 said:

@ScottS said:

Scott's had those mids in that 3way since 2011. They are the original version of that driver.

It's awesome to see that driver coming back (backordered at PE). I thought something might be up when I saw a recent AudioExpress article.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • I've seen some self proclaimed "audio experts" post that dome mids make no sense... but I sure do love the Morel 2.125" domes (CAM558) in my Gormachos. I've even pondered building a Gormacho 2.0 using them with better ribbon tweeters (Viawaves vs the Fountek CDNeo1.0).

• I really like a good dome mid too.
    Did you see the reason TB stopped making theirs was to develop there own dome? Apparently their supplier had passed away, and they couldn't make them after that until they succeeded in developing their own dome in house. Took almost 2 years to refine it, and now they are making the 2 dome
    mids again. I hope this means that some gone tweeters will again resurface like the 28-537.

rjj45
  • They don't make sense until you listen to them in most cases. The 3" TB mid is an exception as it has the measurements to back it up. It has lower measured 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion than a lot of amplifiers within its preferred operating range.

rjj45

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  •  John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited November 2022

FWIW they were tested by AudioXpress. Frequency response is fine, but distortion is quite high. Likely not much of a mechanism to prevent cone rocking. But they're cheap so if you need a low profile speaker...

https://audioxpress.com/article/test-bench-tymphany-gbs-135f25al02-04-5-25-inch-woofer

BrannigansLaw
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I have a pair of those that I added to an order because I was curious - but I haven't figured out what to do with them yet. They might fare okay as a lower mid in a 4-way design with a large woofer (like an Infinity Kappa 9 clone).

PWRRYD

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • You could make some really low profile surround speakers with those and the GRS BG clones.

• Second Skin Audio has 20% off everything with code BF20.

https://secondskinaudio.com/

Ron

Steve_Lee
  • I just couldn't get inspired to buy more drivers even with the 15% off sale because I really needed to upgrade some of my tools to build cabinets and furniture so I ordered this instead of some 15" PA woofers --> https://www.infinitytools.com/pro-router-table-packages-w-3-1-4-h-p-router

I got the Dust Cube, Wheels, Inserts and accessory kit along with it - should arrive in less than 2 weeks.

Now I can work with the router bench rather than work-on the router bench (Old unit built at home with my dad 30+ years ago).

6thplanettajanes
  • edited November 2022

I have a smaller Triton router on a Bosch router table and love the router.

Ron

Steve_Lee
  • Those ^ Satori woofers ( https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-10-woofers/satori-wo24p-4-9.5-egyptian- ) look like a steal at that price - got to resist!

• I would love a set of those Satori. Even with George's mixed alignment the bass was some of the best I've heard.

jholtz
    I have a signature.
  • What is it with the Satori? Are they more of a bass driver, mid, jack of all trades? The freq looks pretty smooth way up further than usual for a ten, but isn't beaming becoming an issue that high up?

• It can, but most have used it with a waveguide when doing such a thing.

Steve_Lee
  • Must resist the Satori.

• MBF 3 way: Madisound Black Friday 3 way
    (No idea if the sensitivities and responses actually work together)

SEAS Prestige 27TDFNC/GW (H1462) 1" Textile Dome Tweeter $59 ea. (Reg. $143)
    SB Acoustics SB15CAC30-8 5" ceramic woofer- 8 ohms $69 ea. (Re. $98)
    Satori WO24P-4 9.5" Egyptian Papyrus Cone Woofer - 4 ohm $139 ea. (Reg. $237)

• Not DIY, but monoprice's subs are discounted and you can stack the BF15 code. The 12" ends about 680 plus taxes.

Steve_Lee
  • Thoughts on SEAS Prestige 27TDFNC vs SB Acoustics tweeters of similar cost?

• I don't know how it sounds, but I really like the way the gold Audax looks.

• I have to constantly remind myself that I am using DSP and don't NEED to buy expensive drivers to obtain good sound . . . Over and over and over . . .

rjj45PWRRYD
  • @Steve_Lee said:
    I have to constantly remind myself that I am using DSP and don't NEED to buy expensive drivers to obtain good sound . . . Over and over and over . . .

Ah, I wouldn't assume that. After adjusting the FR many drivers sound better than others. Probably the most differences are in tweeters imo. So yes you need to buy some expensive drivers, start here https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/scanspeak-soft-dome-tweeters/scanspeak-revelator-d2905/9900-00-1-tweeter-textile-dome/

PWRRYDScottS
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails