Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• @DrewsBrews said:

@jr@mac said:
    No mention of shorting rings or copper.

Wasn't that the case with alot of the peerless drivers too?

There are shorting rings in the HDS drivers, which these are obviously targeting.

I have a signature.
  • edited May 2023

Pretty soon Parts Express will be only Dayton drivers. They will just push everybody out of their market.

• Unfortunately this is probably true. With the ever increasing price of the competitor's drivers and the departure of a few others. Luckily Madisound has SB which I've always been happy with. I'll miss the Peerless that's for sure.

• There are alternatives, just need to explore and make a leap of faith on occasion.

Although it is concerning - once Dayton dominates the market, their prices will go up even further.

I have a signature.
  • The other side of the equation is the number of DIY loudspeakers builder is not growing - affecting the demand for drivers. The good thing about Dayton Audio is they still care about the DIY community. The new driver on paper (website) looks good.

6thplanet
  • edited May 2023

Any price increases are almost surely market supply and demand. It would not seem that PE (or any other individual manufacturer) would have any market power. While PE makes higher margins on its in-house brands, it must get more aggregate revenue from its third-party distribution business. (Consider all of the speaker wire, screws, Duratex, electronics, wall plates, etc. that PE sells.)

• Of the current 48 6-1/2" HiFi midwoofers currently listed at PE (excluding 14 Peerless ones), 12 are Dayton Audio or GRS.
    • For soft dome tweeters, there are 60 (excluding 30 Peerless), 20 of which are Dayton Audio or GRS.
    • Also, some of the Peerless drivers still have over 1000 in stock.
    • Plus, lots of competition from Madisound, US Speakers, MCM (Newark).

Aurum Cantus, B&C, CSS, Dynavox, Eminence, Goldwood, HiVi, Lavoce, Morel, PRV, Tang Band, Wavecore, Seas, Scan Speak, SBA, MCM, Airborne,...

It usually only takes 3 or 4 competitors in a market to produce a competitive market in terms of price-taking behavior.

rjj45BrannigansLawSteve_Lee
  • I'm pretty sure they are the same throat and curvature as the other ones, just rectangular.

• edited May 2023

They are 8-5/8" wide by 5-7/8" tall as well - good match for a 8" MW . . . too large for a 5 ~ 7" dia MW (IMO)

• edited May 2023

Wow I did not see that coming. Really does seem like PE is listening. I wonder if this could turn into them coming out with their own version that fits alot of their tweeters.

I saw that rectangle one when I was looking to buy some WG148s months ago, but it didn't seem to get as much attention. Probably due to dimensions and being easier to recess a circle.

• @a4eaudio said:

I'm pretty sure they are the same throat and curvature as the other ones, just rectangular.

Yes, they are the same.

@DrewsBrews said:
    I saw that rectangle one when I was looking to buy some WG148s months ago, but it didn't seem to get as much attention. Probably due to dimensions and being easier to recess a circle.

Just make your speaker 220mm wide, place the waveguide at the top of the baffle, no recess required, just a stepped baffle for flush ;)

rjj45
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • It is good to see PE carrying more Visaton products. Now if they would carry the tweeter the waveguide is designed for. That would be pretty cool.

Steve_Leeugly_woofer
    I have a signature.
  • @dcibel said:
    Just make your speaker 220mm wide, place the waveguide at the top of the baffle, no recess required, just a stepped baffle for flush ;)

Oah believe me, the idea has floated around my head multiple times!

Steve_Lee
  • Appears to be $50, not too bad even if lacking any kind of shorting rings.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • PE has a site wide sale for Memorial Day, 12% off.

• @PWRRYD said:
    PE has a site wide sale for Memorial Day, 12% off.

With code MEMDAY2023.

• I have not bought anything from PE this year. 🍩

Steve_Leejholtz
  • I have not bought anything from PE this week.

hifiside6thplanetrjj45Colonel74thtrySteve_LeekenrhodesWolfPWRRYDScottSand 2 others.
  • Signature Series SIG120, SIG150 and SIG180 now in stock and available, just in time to use the Memorial Day promo code. So, my prior post is no longer true.

• Did the 5 1/2" Esoteric woofer get discontinued?

• edited May 2023

0 days since last incident

Dang, put in an order for some Peerless SDS-P830855 last night. Now that the SIG ones are available need to reevaluate.

[Edit] $11 more ea and higher tune. Think I'll stick with the peerless for now. Gotta have fun with em while they are still around.

• @Mitchell_Cote said:
    Did the 5 1/2" Esoteric woofer get discontinued?

Google found it on PE website, says currently unavailable and no due in date. I guess so....

• Wish they modeled a little better but they look decent otherwise.

I have a signature.
  • edited May 2023

hmm I don't think I saw a red tag on em at my Menards..

Does the red tag mean clearance? likely not to be restocked.. I don't remember.

• @DrewsBrews said:
    hmm I don't think I saw a red tag on em at my Menards..

Does the red tag mean clearance? likely not to be restocked.. I don't remember.

The ones at my store still showed the regular price (white price tag) of $7 or whatever they normally are. But online showed the $3.99 price. I was ready to show them my phone screen at checkout, but the came up as $3.99 when they scanned them.

• Same here, regular tag, sale price.

• So fess up... who has used the Memorial Day discount and ordered some of the new SIG series Daytons?

• I have too many drivers already. I'm a slow builder, so I'm good for a while.....Unless some great bargain comes along.

rjj45