Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Mid/Woofer 1st attempt

Had to make a mounting plate.found out my coil is a 1/8” short now. So I had to use a twice as heavy coil.My 8” next to a Dayton HO 8”Distortion at 6” in a .75 cu.ft. Sealed enclosure Blue no x-over
Red with simple 2nd order
measurements in sealed box @ 15 inches
kennykdcibel6thplanetdynamoS7910ThumperTom4thtryGowaSilver1omoBryan@MACand 1 other.

Comments

• Am I seeing that the 3rd order is higher from about 200-1k? Even so, it's not a high level and about -30dB. I'm also guessing you have an underhung coil there. Likely better than I or most of us could do, so this is pretty cool. Keep it up!
  • Wolf said:
    Am I seeing that the 3rd order is higher from about 200-1k? Even so, it's not a high level and about -30dB. I'm also guessing you have an underhung coil there. Likely better than I or most of us could do, so this is pretty cool. Keep it up!
    Yes. Your seeing right. It’s a Overhung coil. Not much available for underhung.
  • This is pretty cool, bud. Will this make an appearance at Iowa, perchance?
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    This is pretty cool, bud. Will this make an appearance at Iowa, perchance?
    Not this one exactly. A improved version of this yes. This will probably be destroyed by end of the week to be rebuilt.
  • Man you are really stepping up DIY.
    I have a signature.
  • From left to right
    74gram dvc, copper coil on aluminum former.
    34.5gram 6ohm, copper coil on kapton former 
    23.5 gram 8ohm, aluminum coil on fiberglass former. I had these made for me from Precision Econowind. I didn’t get to use it because I didn’t add the spacer in. I ordered some different basket so they can be used.
    rjj45jr@macS7910
  • This is so frickin cool. I’m sure this is how companies like Acoustic Elegance got their start. Keep at it!
  • edited July 2019
    Not to go too off track from this awesomeness, but didn't AE designs start out as Lambda Acoustics or something?  Also, I have two salvage 8in aluminum revelator woofers-- is it worth a frankenstein project with Audax aerogel cones?

I need to add that this is really, really cool.
  • If you build it, Eric will come... and yes, AE was Lambda.
    hifisideS7910
  • Did someone say Audax? ....and where did you aquire this cone?
  • 6thplanet said:
    Did someone say Audax? ....and where did you aquire this cone?
    These cones for the 8’s I found on eBay. 
  • I want them, will you part with them?
  • 6thplanet said:
    I want them, will you part with them?
    Sure I have 2 of those left.
  • Hifi- the assumption might be that you have Aerogel cones. The reference was made in e6's post about the Aerogel cones. I have a feeling Eric thinks you have Aerogel cones. Is this the case?  They don't look like Aerogel in your photos.
  • edited July 2019
    I don't see a pic of them, he mentioned the possibility of an aerogel/revelator mash up.
  • edited July 2019
    These are NOT Aerogel cones. And e6zion mentioned the mash up thing. Thanks for catching all that Wolf cause I didn’t. I thought he wanted to recone some audax speakers.
  • What size VC?
  • Gowa said:
    What size VC?
    2” if your asking me
    Gowa
  • So what did you mean by aerogel cone then?
  • edited July 2019
    I am sorry. I evidently caused confusion and took away from this awesome post.  I mentioned that I have some damaged revelator woofers and 3x aerogel 8 in woofers (not loose cones) and wondered if it would be worth the enormous trouble to frankenstein them together.  Please focus on his great diy work.  If I decide to do something silly, I will make a new post.
    hifisideBrannigansLaw
  • edited July 2019
    Ah ha, I see. Well cool, good luck on the possible mash up ! ....and on with the show.
    hifiside
  • Proto8 #3 because #2 was a f%*^}>g disaster.this time I used a poly cone and dust cap. Also took a 6ohm coil and unwound to a 4ohm. Used a different motor, stiffer spider. The top end is starting to come to life. 
  • Graph 1 with crossover and tweeter
    Graph 2 woofer Distortion 
    Graph 3 woofer FR no x-over
    jhollanderS7910Wolf6thplanetkennykSilver1omodynamo
  • Working on #5
    6thplanetdynamoJasonPR-Carpenterkennyk
  • Since poly is huge pain in the ass to glue great I made some plastic rings to sandwich the cone. Pre-assemble before glue.
    PWRRYDkennyk
  • That is some downright impressive craftsmanship.  The resulting graphs look great too, I like the smooth natural roll off.  I'd try running the woofers full range and just cross in a tweeter. 
  • Billet said:
    That is some downright impressive craftsmanship.  The resulting graphs look great too, I like the smooth natural roll off.  I'd try running the woofers full range and just cross in a tweeter. 
    Somebody’s on to me.