Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Meet the “Novice”

My 2019 Iowa DIY entry.
6thplanetR-CarpenterdcibelS7910jr@macani_101kenrhodesjhollanderD1PP1NTurn2and 4 others.

Comments

• I don't recognize the woofer, but great tweeter. Like the cosmetics!
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • rjj45 said:
    I don't recognize the woofer, but great tweeter. Like the cosmetics!
    It’s a hand built woofer. 
    rjj45
  • Safter x-o applied raw driver response 22mfd cap on tweeterLeft and Right FR in listening position at 20 inches.
    BrannigansLawdcibelrjj45kenrhodesD1PP1Nkennyk
  • edited October 2019
    Fucking sweet. Also I sent ya a PM, did you get it?
    hifiside
  • Great finish on that speaker! Do you have your own paint booth for that?

Just a tip on taking screenshots, because there's really no need to take a photo of your screen. Just hit Win+PrtScn for a screenshot of the entire screen, or alt+prtscn for a screenshot of the active window only. The screenshots go in your "pictures" folder. There's also the "snapshot" button in Omnimic, that will make a somewhat small image of the response.
    rjj45
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • dcibel said:
    Great finish on that speaker! Do you have your own paint booth for that?

Just a tip on taking screenshots, because there's really no need to take a photo of your screen. Just hit Win+PrtScn for a screenshot of the entire screen, or alt+prtscn for a screenshot of the active window only. The screenshots go in your "pictures" folder. There's also the "snapshot" button in Omnimic, that will make a somewhat small image of the response.
    I don’t post from a computer.
  • I've been considering doing an 'inlaid acoustic trap?' on one of the larger unfinished projects.  What's the low-down on your felt around the tweeter?  Did you take before and after measurements? 
    hifiside
  • Kornbread said:
    I've been considering doing an 'inlaid acoustic trap?' on one of the larger unfinished projects.  What's the low-down on your felt around the tweeter?  Did you take before and after measurements? 
    Yes I’m sure I do. I will have to dig through my measurements. I’ve used it in quit a few builds.
  • Did you target a specific freq or just a general taming of the top end? 
  • Kornbread said:
    Did you target a specific freq or just a general taming of the top end? 
    Those tweeters didn’t have the smoothest FR. I think it helped alot
  • great project!
  • Your cabinet skills are always amazing! Can't wait to hear these. If they sound anything at all like what you brought last year, they'll sound great.
  • The they won’t be the best things you’ll here this weekend by any means. The goal was to bring something I built by hand. I had many road blocks in this project from back ordered parts to being sick. 
  • Wow.

I don’t even know where to begin. Stunning cosmetics, Fully DIY driver, the crossover. This is unbelievably incredible. Awesome work!
    hifiside
  • I agree! You've taken on something most never dared to approach. Your squiggly lines seem to show you are headed in the right direction. 
    hifiside
  • I'm looking for the 'over the moon' Emoji
    hifiside

• Silver1omosquamishdrocR-CarpenterS7910hifisidekennykJasonPThumperTom
    My signature goes here
  • Hi Brad,

I was extremely impressed! The Novice's sounded great and you've set a new standard for ingenuity! Great job!

Jim
    hifiside
  • Damn, you hit that one over the top and out of the park!   
    hifiside
  • I never thought that you could cross the NEO3 that low.  Great finish and they sounded great.

Ron
    hifiside
  • Nice work, Brad. 
    hifiside
    I have a signature.
  • Thanks everyone. I got 4.5 hrs of think time today to come up with stuff.
  • Fantastic job on these, Brad.
    hifiside
  • Hope you don't mind me posting a few shots of your speakers as well.  It's funny, Bryan & I both snapped the same "speech" photo, but from a different camera angle!  Amazing! (see the first pic on our posts).   

Outstanding showroom class high gloss finish.  And one of the best sounding speakers at the event, imo.  I have a pair of Neo3's (non-PDR) and I have never been able to get them to sound this good.  Probably has something to do with your hand built woofer, which seems to blend very well at the relatively low crossover point used. Great job!!

Bryan@MAChifiside
  • They sounded great and the finish was top notch!  
    hifiside
  • And now for something completely different (Monty Python steal)...  I didn't realize how white my hair looks LOL
    hifiside
  • Ill take grey/white over none anyday. 
    Bryan@MAC
  • I've got more hair on my back than on my head.  Some of it is grey too. 

... you didn't say where. 

Guys, how formal are these meets?