Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

G35 Audio Upgrade

I bought this car a couple years ago and it had a blown LF door speaker. This had to be addressed, so I removed the door panel and weighed my options. I had the 6" Dyna's and they would have been a drop in replacement. I also had the 8"ers, too. Lucky for me these doors excepted them lovingly. The car came with a double DIN Kenwood radio which isn't to bad, so that'll work fine for now. 
   The time has come for awesome sound to be completed. Last weekend I removed the passenger seat and rear seat/panels to get the ball rolling. I ran the power wire. This weekend marked the last day for the weak ass rear speakers. Now another set of 8's reside back there. Next up is the possibility of BG neo8's in the kick panels.

jhollanderkenrhodesrjj45S7910dynamo

Comments

• Jealous.  Hope to get rolling here soon.
  • Definitely! I hope they work for you as well as they have for me.
  • Today I started on the amp mount. The spare has to be moved over, so a new bracket will be fabbed. I was able to utilize some factory mounting studs for the brackets that mount the amp board. The amp I've had since 1997. It's a Soundstream Rubicon 604. I striped it and powder coated it white, all my cars have been white. I then designed the layout for the controls/terminals and had some stickers made up. I also dyed the white nylon terminal guides, these are red to match the white/red theme.

Bryan@MACjoeybuttssquamishdrocdynamo
  • Beautiful amp!!
    My signature goes here
  • Love the old SS amps!
  • Old iron rules!  If you risk a hernia when you pick it up it must be good.
  • Definitely! I wish their stuff was still worth a shit. Looks mostly Chinese junk now. Anyway, she's a keeper, oh and I got the date wrong, I bought it in 99. Twenty years ago.....damn time flies.
  • I still have my SoundStream D100 II amps and PPI ProMos series amps.  Bought the SoundStream in 1992 and the PPI around 1995!  They've been installed in 4 different cars.
    6thplanet
  • Still have my Soundstream Reference 12 from back in 95. Even have an ol PPI Art series A100 laying around.
  • I still have my pair of Soundstream EXACT10s, bought them in 99/00.
    6thplanet
  • Wired it up this weekend, this is preliminary as I plan to incorporate a MiniDSP. For now the rears are serving subwoofer duty. The fronts are running fullrange. The Dyna's in the doors roll off ok, it has little shitty factory tweeters in the triangle by the side mirror. So better than the radio's amplification, little better sound quality, but still lacking in the overall awesomeness that will eventually be achieved.

• With the virus ruining the world at the moment, work was cut back to 30hrs a week and we were split into 2 shifts. Now I'm home at noon. Bunch of time to find stuff to do, so I jumped back into the car build. Made some progress with the kick panels this week. This is the typical make a baffle, stretch material, resin it, glass it method used for this type of thing. Recap, neo8's going in there....

PWRRYDjr@macjhollandersquamishdrocjoeybuttsThumperTomdynamo
  • It looks like it's gonna sound very nice.  Awesome craftsmanship on the mid-tweeter enclosures. 
    One thing I find interesting about automotive speakers is that the smoothly curved lower dash seems to act as a wave guide.  I have some good coaxial drivers mounted in my doors and my dash is shaped similar to yours and the highs seem to come from everywhere.
  • Looks great brother, any more progress?
  • Finished glassing the driver side kick. Both are ready for Bondo.

joeybuttsjr@mackenrhodesjhollandersquamishdrocAdamM3dynamoS7910
  • Not audio, but finally got around to installing a new bumper cover to replace the beat up one (minor wreck). Added a nice carbon fiber lip for a bit of bling.👍🏻 Also replaced the driver side fender, had some rust eating up the bottom.

tajanessquamishdrocThumperTomSilver1omojoeybutts
  • I was hoping for a procharger build...
    joeybuttsdynamoS7910
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited April 2020
    That's what that fucker really needs! ....some day. At least it looks fast?
    dynamo
  • You should check out HiLow Car by Donut Media on Facebook.  They are reworking two 350z's.  Stuff like this really make me want to get an old hardbody to play with.
  • Yeah, I watched that. That's why I second guessed doing a turbo. I really like having AC now, some of the kits say they keep it, but looks to be real pain to make that all happen. SC is so much easier.
  • This weekend was an engine audio upgrade. Went over to Adams and we installed a new exhaust system. The OE junk was pretty well done, so I bought the Invidia Gemini kit. Of course what should have been an hour job turned into four. My luck, Adam can vouch for that. I think two of them were trying to get the right side tip to mount properly......stupid tip. Didn't get on the car pics, but here's the system...

jhollanderjoeybuttsdynamosquamishdroc
  • One smoothed up, the other is undergoing reconstructive surgery. Had to beef up the mounting tab after cutting most of that shit out.

dynamosquamishdroc
  • Both kicks are Bondo'd. Gotta order up the vinyl. Some other things are ahead of that. Mainly rear wheel bearings. Doing a brake upgrade soon. Calipers fresh from powder coating....

joeybuttsjhollanderSilver1omokenrhodesS7910squamishdrocThumperTom
  • Calipers look awesome! What are you going to run for pads?
  • Man, I looked at everything, read all the comments, reviews, finally just said fuck it. I don't have anything to compare to, so I went with the stock Brembo pads. That'll give me a baseline to go off of.

squamishdroc
  • Are your brembo pads noisy when cold but silent once some heat builds?       
  • Not installed yet🤷🏻‍♂️
  • I finally got around to ordering the vinyl to do the kick panels and door inserts. Lot of work this week. I did both rear panels, doors, installed those Infiniti shadow lights, and both kicks. Next is devising some sort of mounting for the neo8's and get that shit in there.

jhollanderjoeybuttsjr@macSilver1omohifisideThumperTom
  • edited September 2020

Getting there, gotta wrangle up some grill cloth.

ThumperTom
  • I have some grey grill cloth if you're interested. (free)