Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sparkles Everywhere

Drats, right in the middle of shooting some metalflake and the Harbor Freight air compressor decides to lay down.

Comments

• I saw sparkles everywhere when I tried to lift that Theil 12 inch sub.

ani_101WolfPWRRYDJasonPTurn2
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • That sub is a beast.
    Compressor back up. The thing has metal reed valves to control the flow of air. Ordered an extra set when the last ones broke. Back to making more sparkles and the stuff has already made it into the house.

• Don- 'seeing stars' is not something that has happened to me often, but would you also say it looks like flecks of aluminum burning out? is that your impression as well? There is no way to quantify it by perspective or perception as no one else has described their 'stars' to me. I'm just curious...

KB- sorry for the hijack, and those are looking great!

• Thread hijack! Seeing stars is an energetic condition involved with excess energy in your system. For instance, you pick up something very heavy, and bend down to put it on the floor. When you straighten up, you might see stars. Sparkly things floating near you in your field of vision. Something similar happened to me several times during Aikido practice, when my field was influenced by many people around me with excess energy. This is explained by the (maligned) Wilhelm Reich and his concept of "orgone"

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I was understanding that it was brought on by high blood pressure spikes as the result of said exerted energy.
    That has been my experience anyway, as I do not have high blood pressure.

The standing up quickly after bending down is a sudden loss of blood pressure where you feel faint and sometimes can faint. For those with high blood pressure, bending over and standing up does not cause a faint feeling as the BP is always high.

• Orgon ... ok, that was something new.

• Sounds like a good name for the project?

• Been naming them after the dogs; Sadie, Crash, and Shy. Orgon sounds better than Shy. What ya' think Don? Orgon?

• YES! and on down the line, culling from cheesy B&W 50s sci-fi.
    Mergon, Rargon, Zargon......

• Getting there. One more coat of translucent blue. Could have gone heavier on the stain but playing it safe; 1/2 tsp. to ~3/4 quart of clear gloss lacquer.

squamishdroc
  • edited July 2020

And I'm stopping here. Really thought the base black would darken the final color more than it did. A touch of black mixed in with the blue might have been a bit more to my liking but inside, they look black. Meh, if they wind up being too light blue inside the house, another coat tinted with a touch of black should fix it. This is one of the few projects that has worked out better than expected.
    My hands are blue and my body sparkles. Going to look good for that job interview tomorrow.

ani_101dcibelkenrhodesrjj45hifiside6thplanetSilver1omo4thtrysquamishdrocduanebro
  • Cool. Gives me some ideas for my space alien donuts.

• It's incredibly difficult to take good pictures of sparkly finishes. You might try several light sources, or even a low light pic.

• @4thtry said:
    Cool. Gives me some ideas for my space alien donuts.

I'm told you can get those at Eats, Sit and Gulp

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited July 2020

Agreed Don. It looks gloss black inside until the light hits it in a certain way then the dark blue and sparkles pop. Usually I put a ton of work into projects and they turn out ho-hum but I'm McLuvin how this one turned out ... unless I screw something up with the final clearing/sanding/buffing.
    @4thtry If it gives you some ideas, metal flake and color shifting pearl here https://tcpglobal.com/pages/metal-flake-pearls-home

4thtry
  • Looking good. I'll have to give them an undercoat of fluorescent green. Then when I turn the lights out for a listening session, the donuts will glow and sparkle in the dark!!! :3

rjj45
  • Maybe I missed it, but are the grooves going to get felt?

• So far felt appears to do the best but have some of that super sized plush yarn and will probably try some wool or whatever else fits snugly in there. With barren grooves I think it sounds like poop.

@ugly_woofer said:
    Maybe I missed it, but are the grooves going to get felt?

• Well, give me time and I'll screw it up. Let the 'candy' dry for a week before sanding. Needed to get this project out of the way because the Saturday to do list is way long. Sprayed first thing this morning and bam, blush out the wazoo. Should have known not to spray in this heat before the air gets a chance to dry.

How do I get it out or can I?

• What is it? And what happened to your Wazoo?

• It's moisture trapped in the lacquer from drying too fast. Early this morning humidity was over 80% and no breeze. Never gave it a thought before spraying.
    Some woodworking sites said to spray a little thinner over the area to soften the lacquer and release the moisture. That made it much worse. Guess more sanding is in my future.
    What is a wazoo? Well, in this case, my cornhole.

• Did it crack or bubble? And oh that Wazoo. 😂

• The clear turns milky white unless you try to remove it with more thinner, then it turns completely white. Sanded a little of it off and it looks to be mostly in the last coat with maybe a touch on the coat under that. Not sure how well it will show in these pics.

• Behans has a blush remover you can add to a light thinned out top coat. You can also buy slow acting lacquer thinner. I also make sure my air compressor and tank is cool. Tough to spray in this humidity without additives.

• Looks like I may have to order blush remover and slower thinner online as I've been having zero luck sourcing either locally. Pros and cons of living in a small rural community.

• if you get a cool low humidity day might try a thin light coat to see if you can slow the dry time.

• This lacquer thinner is not the same as the smaller container of the same stuff even though it is labeled the same. After the thinner from the larger can evaporates from the spray gun cleaning bowl, a white residue remains on the bowl. The smaller can of thinner never left a residue and it smelled different.
    Before resanding all the blushed areas, I waited till late in the afternoon and sprayed another coat of clear lacquer. The blush disappeared.
    Let the lacquer dry until the speakers no longer stank, then wet sanded and buffed. Bought the cheap HarborFreight buffer that @hifiside used in his vid. While I'm sure my results might disappoint a professional, I can live with em', just don't shine a light on them and look too close.

How do I get the left-over buffing residue out of the cracks and crevices?

Looks black inside until some light hits them. Really terrible about showing dust and dirt.

hifiside
  • Nice, try a toothbrush to remove the residue in the grooves.

• I like a microfiber towel over a wood or plastic shim. I use the toothbrush on my son's car :)

• Left the inside of the grooves rough to help hold the packing in place but it's a magnet for leftover polish and soft cloths catch on the rough edges. I'll give the toothbrush a try, or maybe cut an old paintbrush real short. Probably be best to stop by the local hardware store after work and search for some small stiff brushes ... or maybe dremel has a tiny buffing wheel that would fit in there?