Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Another project started

I've been wanting to build a very affordable 3 way project for some time, so here it is. The drivers are great value drivers and I am using wood that was all given to me.

• The crossovers will be all passive

• The woofers are the MCM 55-5670 8" in a separate ported bass bins

• The midrange drivers are the Peerless 630656 5.25" paper cones in sealed and well damped boxes

• The tweeters are Peerless DA25BG08-06 aluminum domes. I bought them when they were on sale for $15 each

6thplanetGowajhollanderDanPJasonPsquamishdrocGeoffMillarrjj45Silver1omoThumperTomand 2 others.

Comments

• Is that curly maple I spy....

• Yes it is. These were unfinished, pre-veneered, MDF boards that were 16" wide x 8' long (neighbor gave me 4 of them). It is really dense MDF. Much more so than the HD or Menards MDF.

• Forgot to mention that the bass bins for this project are the same bass bins I built for my InDIYana 20/20 build. I like to multipurpose bass bins. That way the top MT's are small and easy to build. With external xo's I can have any number of projects share the same bass bins. I've done that with my NE225W-04 bass bins too.

rjj45
  • Just wanted to type "bass bins" one more time LOL

joeybutts
  • Looks great and bet it will sound great too. You and Ron_E should have a contest who can use the most Peerless woofers. I think he's currently ahead, but you're catching up fast!

Ron_E
  • I think Ron has way better wood working and crossovers skills than me. I'd be bringing a pool noodle to a gun fight.

JasonP6thplanetrjj45
  • The mental picture there is hilarious!

• Got to love those Peerless drivers that you can just mount right to the baffle👍👍

bass bins bass bins bass bins :p

rjj45
  • That looks really interesting: I have the mids and tweeters in my stash but the MCMs aren't available in Oz, unfortunately.

The cabinets look pretty good to me.

Geoff

• I am really digging your removable baffle. What kind of gasket do you have between the baffle and the box?

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I just use this foam gasket tape. It works great and is cheap. I also use it to form gaskets for drivers like these Peerless 830656 that don't come with a gasket.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-3-8-in-x-3-16-in-x-17-ft-Grey-Vinyl-Foam-Weatherseal-Tape-V443H/100205904

• @PWRRYD said:
    I just use this foam gasket tape. It works great and is cheap. I also use it to form gaskets for drivers like these Peerless 830656 that don't come with a gasket.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-3-8-in-x-3-16-in-x-17-ft-Grey-Vinyl-Foam-Weatherseal-Tape-V443H/100205904

Yeah, I'm a big fan of FrostKing also. Lately bought a roll of thin gasket from Meniscus that is cheap and rocks.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I used frost king on my Northern Pikes build as well. Not that I really need to remove the baffle ever, but to allow creepage on the hardwood baffle to avoid splitting, it is screwed and gasketed, no glue.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • @PWRRYD said:
    I think Ron has way better wood working and crossovers skills than me. I'd be bringing a pool noodle to a gun fight.

Another analogy I heard was "like taking a toothpick to a fight with a lion in a phone booth"

• Sorry Geoff but I think the noodle poodle sounds better. :o

• Finished building these as simple 2 ways with passive crossovers. Very impressed with the midrange and treble performance. Unfortunately these little 5.25" Peerless drivers have no bass in 6 liter sealed boxes...

So just for fun I hooked them up to my little Tang Band W5-1138SM sub box that has that buyout plate amp Ed Perkins showed modifications for. 22 wpc to the MT's and 50 watts to the little 5" neo sub. WOW! No way these should sound so good.

ani_101
  • I wish the pictures did the curly maple justice:

Silver1omorjj45dcibelGowa6thplanetkenrhodesNicholas_23hifisideS79104thtryand 1 other.
  • Looks great!

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • The mcm 55-5670 has a huge surround.

• Oh that's just a little 5.25" Tang Band W5-1138SM, which does have a HUGE surround :o

• Craig- You're sort of building an SVS Prime Bookshelf, just in case you didn't know. Main diff is you're using the 5.25" opposed to the 6.5". The Prime tweeter and DA25BG08-06 are very similar.

• edited October 2020

Sorry Ben, I have no idea what in the wide world of sports an SVS Prime Bookshelf is.

• @GeoffMillar said:
    That looks really interesting: I have the mids and tweeters in my stash but the MCMs aren't available in Oz, unfortunately.

Geoff

Hi Geoff. I will gladly share my two way crossover design if you are interested. Obviously a small subwoofer is required to shore up the bottom octaves.

• Does that sub amp have any LF boost or roll off?

One of my sons has the Hafniums (with the same W5-1138's). He is running them on a vintage receiver with a switchable 30 Hz filter and we find they can handle a lot more power if we use it.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • I love the 830656 - listen to them every day at work. It really is surprising how good they sound for the money. Now your making me ponder how they would sound with a better tweeter.

• @PWRRYD said:

@GeoffMillar said:
    That looks really interesting: I have the mids and tweeters in my stash but the MCMs aren't available in Oz, unfortunately.

Geoff

Hi Geoff. I will gladly share my two way crossover design if you are interested. Obviously a small subwoofer is required to shore up the bottom octaves.

Thank you, that's most kind: I'll send you a PM with my email, if that's OK?

Cheers

Geoff

PWRRYD
  • The 830656 are really under-rated: I built a test pair of Ron E's C-notes MTMs and really liked the sound - thank you Ron! Excellent mids and highs and quite reasonable bass in Ron's vented cabinet. However, my cabinet skills are abysmal...

I also used them in a two way bookshelf design with a BC25TG tweeter, also sound good but need a sub.

The frame makes them a breeze to mount and they look cool, what more could you want?

The Peerless DA25 tweeters are also supposed to sound pretty good but I haven't used them yet.

Am following this project with interest!

Geoff

• @GeoffMillar said:
    The 830656 are really under-rated: I built a test pair of Ron E's C-notes MTMs and really liked the sound - thank you Ron! Excellent mids and highs and quite reasonable bass in Ron's vented cabinet. However, my cabinet skills are abysmal...

Geoff

Glad to hear you got those finished and enjoy them.

Ron