Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Pugmouth150 SB and RS

Way, way back when, one of my first design builds was a 14L TM with an RS150 and a Tangband 28-537 tweeter.
That build was posted on PETT here:
https://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/speaker-project-gallery/48970-targas-rs150-and-tangband-28-537-tm

I ended up selling that to a good friend, who loved it, and we compared it many times to a much larger 3 way with an RS225 woofer.
So he gifted that pair to his son, and requested another one similar. So I noticed that I did not have a "killer" TM in that size, and that I had
a pair of SB15CAC30-8 mid-woofers on the shelf. I wanted to go a bit more upscale with the tweeter, so I bought 2 pairs of the SB Acoustics SB21RDCN-C000-4.
At minimum, I wanted to directly compare bass performance of the 2 woofers, and also suspect that the SB will be much clearer into the midrange than the RS150.
I saw someone's SB design on PETT, and wanted those cosmetics with a big ass flared port up front:

Somewhat surprising, the Unibox models for both woofers came out very,very similar:

Port velocity is acceptable, considering it's modeled at more than the maximum the speaker will ever play:

Boxes are 12 MM Baltic Birch with 2 window pane braces.
I decided to make his pair quarter cut cherry veneer with a 3/4" solid cherry baffle:
Finish is Tried and True Danish Oil, but I'll put some gloss poly on top after a while

My pair will be more upscale - Sapele 4/4 baffle, and Movingui veneered box.
Oil on the Sapele, and lacquer on the Mivingui to keep it as white as possible.:

More later!
don

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
dcibel4thtryGowaTurn26thplanetjhollanderBryan@MACjoeybutts

Comments

• Nice Wood!

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Very nice! I think you'll like that woofer. I used the aluminum version in one design I took to Ankeny last month. I think the box is about the same size as yours. I wasn't overly impressed by the bass in that big conference room, but here at home, a foot or so out from the wall, it does pretty well.

• edited November 2021

Along the lines of "necessity is the mother" - I am not a wood artist like some, but I try my best.
    The first sapele baffle routered out fine, but on the last router cut for the tweeter on the second baffle, suddenly I
    realized that the router was "wandering" OMFG! By the time I shut it down, I was presented with this:

Well, I let that set for about 2 weeks while I tried not to obsess about it. Finally figured out that I could straighten the sides of the goof with some chisel work, and cut a thin plug to fill the gap. This is a test fit with DNA to check the grain match.

So it looked at this point like it might work.
    A little more router circle work, and it came out almost perfect. Whew! Dodged the bullet.

kenrhodesBillet4thtryPWRRYDTurn26thplanetSilver1omojhollanderBryan@MACsquamishdrocand 1 other.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Excellent save! That's as seamless as it gets. No one will be the wiser, unless they were nearby to hear the stream of curse words. :o

rjj45
  • Nice blending work! I didn't even notice this repair on the first picture!!

• Looks great, another way to hide the oops, would be to inlay a stripe down the center if a grain match isn't feasible.

rjj45
  • Thanks guys!

• The Deft rattle can lacquer I am using has darkened the movingui veneer a bit more than I might have liked, but it's really popping the wavy grain!

PWRRYDSilver1omo4thtrysquamishdroc
  • I love that woofer and I bet that tweeter will match up with it perfectly.

rjj45
  • Gorgeous build! ...and I'll second the nice save on the tweeter route👍🏻

rjj45PWRRYD
  • edited November 2021

Sprayed 3 coats of Deft rattle can lacquer on the veneer, then scuff sanded with 320 and sprayed one more top coat. Finally got to put the baffle and box together for a money shot this morning. Looks better than I could have imagined. Very happy with the combination! In another couple of days, I will top coat the baffles with gloss wipe on poly, then glue them on.

Turn26thplanetPWRRYDdcibelRon_E4thtrykenrhodesSilver1omoBryan@MACtajanesand 3 others.
  • Like I mentioned in the other thread, you guys make some killer looking stuff. Bet it sounds just as good.

rjj454thtry
  • I forgot to mention - several months ago I lamented that always when I routed the baffles to fit the veneered box, the bottom bearing created creases in the veneer that in some cases were really hard to sand out. Someone suggested a double bottom bearing bit. I got this Bosch 1/2 inch for $24 from Amazon. It cuts like butter, and zero, i repeat zero creases in the veneer. Now I'm a big fan!

jhollander4thtry
  • Good to know. I'm putting one on my Christmas list. I had some minor lines on my last project from my current bit.

rjj45
  • Dang, wish they had it with a 1/4" shank for my palm router.

• Yonico has 1/4" spiral down cutting with a double bearing.

rjj45