Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Iowa 2019 Dates

Comments

• S7910 said:
    Will there be provisions for spring clip terminals or will I need to bring an adapter for nanners?
    We will have an adapter for that. See you soon. 

S7910
    My signature goes here
  • Printed a set of 40 tents.  Aspect ratio of 2.25 x 6.5 with a little extra space for driver names.
    With your permission, I will bring these along and set them on the reception table. 

Bill   

JasonPjr@macjhollanderS7910Bryan@MACThumperTomhifiside
  • Perfect
    I have a signature.
  • 4thtry said:

Printed a set of 40 tents.  Aspect ratio of 2.25 x 6.5 with a little extra space for driver names.
    With your permission, I will bring these along and set them on the reception table. 

Bill   

Of course Bill. Thanks so much!!
    My signature goes here
  • Apologies for not getting the event website and registration page up quicker. 

We do have the usual awesome sponsors lined up as well as a couple surprises. 

@JasonP is burning the candle at both ends on a new front end that will not only redefine DIY show exhibit efficiency but will ....... well I can’t exactly divulge the other thing just yet. Trust, it’s ground-breaking. 
    Silver1omo
    My signature goes here
  • Event website up.

Please register ASAP so we can keep tabs on the headcount.

Thanks!!

https://midwestaudio.club/events/iowa2019/

My signature goes here
  • If you didn't get a confirmation email from the site after registering: That was totally my fault. After I punched Wordpress in the gut and beat on the server, things are working now.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • edited September 2019
    I got two confirmations in case anyone is missing theirs :)
  • Would this be considered the top DIY event that happens per year?
  • 6thplanet said:
    Would this be considered the top DIY event that happens per year?

Yes it is imho.

jholtz
  • Registered.
  • 6thplanet said:
    Would this be considered the top DIY event that happens per year?

There's a bar across from the listening room if that helps...
    hifiside
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited September 2019
    Thanks to everyone who registered right away. Keep the registrations rolling in!

http://midwestaudio.club/events/iowa2019/registration/

We're going to set a 30 exhibit limit for Saturday, so if you're planning to present a project, please register ASAP to secure your spot. If we fill up for Saturday you can still play show and tell on Friday during the informal listening session. For those of you who want to bring more than one project, pick your favorite for Saturday. If there's room, we will insert your additional exhibits at the end of the lineup.

Sponsors are sending some cool toys our way, so Saturday's door prize table should be very nice. I might post some sneak peek photos closer to showtime. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone!!

My signature goes here
  • edited September 2019
    Group rate has been extended for a week at the Best Western Premier - Ankeny. If you didn't make your reservation and you want to stay at the venue hotel please call them ASAP.
    $125.00/night. 
    In order to receive the discount, please phone in your reservations at 515-965-5678 and mention our group name: IOWA DIY
    My signature goes here
  • FYI to any of you over 55 - I just got the Senior rate on the hotel room thanks to my AARP card. 

Looks like this "old guy" has to get his butt in gear and actually start building some speakers!
    gene_stl
  • For those traveling before or early sunrise , watch for deer. I know around here some farmers are out in the fields getting what crop they can , it tends to scare up the critters, skunks , coons , deer , even saw a big beaver on the interstate the other day ( not that kind of beaver) . 
    Bryan@MAC
  • I'm cancelling my reservation for Ankeny, to much stuff going on with moving to a new house.  I'll miss you guys and the new projects.  I look forward to Bill's pictures and stories from the bar.
    hifiside
  • Bummer John!  You will be missed.
  • Damn, guess I'm out, too. I was only going to hang out with John. 😝
    JasonPPWRRYD
  • We'll have a drink in your honor and discuss the pros & cons of using LR2 slopes....acoustic, right?
    I'll miss talking with you John.
  • Maybe we could reschedule for John. I could use more time for my build.

Ron
  • I don't know, I kinda like the drink idea!  Good luck with the move John.  We moved a couple of years ago and it's a real challenge.  See you at the next event.
  • Tom, that was the drink talking...I remember that enough to not do that again.  Must have been peer pressure...
  • Bummer @jhollander.

My signature goes here
  • We're delighted to have Skylabs onboard as a brand new sponsor. Skylabs is the premier vintage audio dealer in Des Moines. If you have some extra time on your way in, please stop by the shop and try NOT to buy anything. Here's a link to their gallery so you can gawk at some drool-worthy vintage gear. https://skylabsaudio.com/gallery 

Kevin Moll will be there on Friday night to hang out, so if yo have any vintage gear questions, he's the man.

Ron_Ejr@macdcibelhifisideTurn24thtrykennyk
    My signature goes here
  • Please take a second to visit our sponsors' websites. If it wasn't for them, ther'd not be this thing called a "door prize table."

http://midwestaudio.club/events/iowa2019/sponsors/

dcibel
    My signature goes here
  • So, I'll likely be bringing a pair of commercial speakers. DCM by MTX, 6.5" bookshelf in cherry. They are discontinued, and the entire line is on eBay for stupid low prices so I grabbed a pair for $80.

Someone at Audioholics did a tear down, 1" MDF baffle, five element XO, nice binding posts, brace. In the DCM ad copy, they claim copper in the tweeter motor. Woofer is stamped frame, with under spider vents, yellow Kevlar cone, and fake phase cap. Looks like it is a long throw design, has that "deep draw" look to the basket.

Tweeter looks robust and a standard 104 cutout.

I'll do my own damn tear down, take some measurements, and maybe rework the XO, and do a proper write up.

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/dcm-tp160s-bookshelf-speaker-deals.115795/

Price has already gone up. 

I have a signature.
  • I've got a lot of these at work, obsolete product:

If anyone wants a few, I'll bring a few stacks down.
    I have a signature.
  • edited October 2019
    Quick update:

Looks like we presently have around 38 attendees and 21 exhibits.

Of course that all changes during the week before the event with last minute entries and cancellations. 

For those of you wanting to bring more than one project, I would say it's a safe bet that we will be able to squeeze in a few on Saturday and of course we have Friday's informal listening session available for extras. I will be watching the registration database closely and will update this thread if we get a last minute influx of exhibits.

The attendee/exhibit list is updated. Scroll down to see the list at the following URL:  https://midwestaudio.club/events/iowa2019/registration/ 

I'll be working on the house track this weekend. Apologies again for not getting this stuff done in a more timely fashion.

Don't forget to bring your 5-minute demo track on a flash drive or CD/DVD. We will be preloading the front end with everyones "stuff" on Friday night. *This year we are not accepting floppy or tape drives. ;)

IMPORTANT: If you're exhibiting but only attending on Saturday, be sure to send us a note so we know ahead of time to get your demo file early on Saturday.

Any questions, shoot me a PM or an email.

Thanks.

My signature goes here
  • For good or bad here's the house track: https://app.box.com/s/rylqewmhvc54b7y9qqrvhjk1zid8ckto

I did some old school and new pop and a little creative stuff in between and of course it ends with a torture track - apologies to the small woofer folks. 

These demo tracks are more difficult each year because we exhaust all the good stuff in between and nobody wants a repeat....... I'm open to new ways to craft the demo tracks going forward. 

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us with ideas.  

My signature goes here