Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

3D Printing

1235»

Comments

• Try scaling something up near max what your bed can fit and spiralize some PETG. It gets all wibbly-wobbly, and is way more flexible and durable than you'd think. Even with a .4 nozzle!

6thplanetjhollander
  • That is quite beautiful actually.

• edited December 2023

Duplicate/late post entry - removed.

• edited December 2023

@Ron_E said:
    I'm printing Christmas ornaments using multicolor silk PLA. This print is too small for the filament to change colors.

https://amazon.com/dp/B0B6P8VBN2?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Ron

Looks like chocolates and life is like a box of them; much better once you remove all the Rappers . . .

• I printed some bigger Christmas ornaments. The big one is about a foot tall and weighs 2.5 ounces. It's as tall as my printer will go.

I'm really loving my new Garolite G10 bed. Once the bed cools I can just pick up the print.

Ron

Steve_Lee4thtrytajanesJasonPkenrhodesugly_woofer6thplanetjholtz
  • The 2nd from the left is gorgeous. Which filament is that? The "gold red"?

• It's all the same 5 color filament. The color of each print is dependent on where in the spool it starts. The small objects use so little filament that the color hardly changes unlike the largest print that almost cycles through all 5 colors.

https://amazon.com/dp/B0B6P8VBN2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Ron

DirkJasonP6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • The Garolite G10 bed is fairly new to me and I just had my first failure when the print came off the bed shortly after it started printing. I turned up the bed temp from 50 to 60 degrees and it's almost halfway through the print and it's still printing. I'm printing a Christmas tree that starts with a snow flake pattern that twists as it goes up. The base is pretty minimal and has substantial gaps so there's not much of a first layer to stick to the bed.

This is what the tree is supposed to look like when it's done.

Ron

JasonPSteve_Lee6thplanet
  • Looks a bit like a turbine engine compressor blade assembly . . .

• edited December 2023

@Ron_E said:

Ron

Terminate the print at 45% of the vertical height and put it behind a midbass/mid driver inside the enclosure with loose damping material around the perimeter & rear - take some measurements then sell me a pair for New Years?

• Ron that table under those prints is amazing. I love the Greene and Greene vibes.

I would advise you to try a mirror for your print bed. The super smooth surface provides good adhesion and after the bed has cooled the prints naturally release. The mirror also lets you do a nice visual on the hot end without having to raise the Z axis. The mirror is also really hard to scratch and there is no telegraphing from the previous prints. It might also be the most inexpensive bed that you can buy. I hope this helps.

• @kenrhodes said:
    Ron that table under those prints is amazing. I love the Greene and Greene vibes.

I would advise you to try a mirror for your print bed. The super smooth surface provides good adhesion and after the bed has cooled the prints naturally release. The mirror also lets you do a nice visual on the hot end without having to raise the Z axis. The mirror is also really hard to scratch and there is no telegraphing from the previous prints. It might also be the most inexpensive bed that you can buy. I hope this helps.

I'm very happy with the G10 bed I just started using. That tree has very little surface area touching the bed. The white in this image is the footprint of the tree on the bed and the hex in the middle is only 3/8" across. The second print failed too but not because the print came off the bed. When it got near the top of the tree it turned into a swirly blob of solid plastic. I like my swirly ornaments over the tree so I'm back to printing more of them.

Ron

• edited December 2023

Couldn't resist the price of 159$ a while back, and I added the Anycubic Kobra 2 Neo to my lineup of printers:

It is both the easiest to assemble printer I've ever used, and it's remarkably fast (though not as fast as the new high-speed designs like Bambu Labs are doing. Still, for the price given it holds up reasonably well its a marked improvement in the hardware IMO. The Anycubic Cura profile it comes with is set to 120 mm/s printing (infill, 80mm walls, 150mm movement). and it sure zips. Here in the pic is it passing the torture test pretty well, but some fine detail is lost.

jr@macugly_wooferhifisidekenrhodesSteve_LeeRon_Ejhollander4thtry
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • My grille-fu grows stronger!
    Printed in two pieces, epoxied together. Stretching & splining is still no fun, but it's worth it for the result!

Steve_LeeJasonPjhollanderugly_wooferjr@mackenrhodesRon_E6thplanetSilver1omo4thtry
  • a4eaudioSteve_LeeJasonPjr@mac6thplanethifisidesilverDtajanesSilver1omoTurn2and 1 other.
  • Wow! That is great Dirk!

DirkEd_Perkins
  • Looks outstanding, and gives the speaker a finished look.

Dirk
  • Now I just gotta get the lint off of them from the wool haha :tired_face:

• Totally dig those👍🏼

Dirk
  • Wow - those look amazing. I think most people would ask where you bought those nice looking speakers!

Dirk
  • I ran across a video on the PE forum of a 3D printed speaker that some of you might be interested in. I didn't think the final finish looked all that good but I might try to use the filled mold trick. It would be easier than filling the panel with modeling clay like I did.

https://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/1501932-3d-printed-speakers-vid

Ron

• I had some sunlight to work with today and took a picture of some of my Christmas swirls. We had a winter solstice party and gave away 45 or more of various sizes.

Ron

Silver1omoSteve_LeeJasonPTurn2
  • That popped up on my YouTube feed, pretty neat.
    Another expensive hobby I'd like to get into someday.

• It will be my next purchase along with a lazer cutter/engraver.

JasonP