Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

4" drivers

Comments

• 3/4" cabinets with 1-1/8" baffles. Will be faceted for looks and some diffraction control.

I have a signature.
  • Single shelf brace in going side to side, and will add a couple of what I call "kickers" to tie the top, bottom, and rear panels to each other. Ordered cheap binding posts and port tubes yesterday, when they are all assembled and crossovers designed I will order some Duratex and give them a classic JR finish.

I have a signature.
  • Said to hell with it and glued them all up today.

kenrhodesrjj45squamishdrocSilver1omoS7910
    I have a signature.
  • I stalled out this project, working on the '72 instead. I spent over an hour with the FiTech support and we determined it failed, likely the ECU.

It is out of warranty and replacement would be $1200 or so, repair would be over half that cost - so I bought a carburetor and started converting the old girl back to traditional aspiration. Of course I missed about 1/4 of the things I needed, but it is all here and installed or on the way from Summit.

Anyways, as soon as it is cruise ready I will get back to the speaker building.

I have a signature.
  • Sorry to hear that.

• @kenrhodes said:
    Sorry to hear that.

I'm not - gotta move on.

kenrhodes
    I have a signature.
  • OK, so the truck has been my primary focus as of late but I got it running good enough to take it out and about but there is still some work to do on the carb tuning.

I just poured some real money into the truck as part of getting it to run better (filled tank).

I ordered an X-pipe kit from Summit and will cut that in as early as Saturday. I will then buy a handful of sparkplugs to start the process of getting the jets just right.

Then I will pickup the router and continue the 4" mishmash project.

I did drive it to work after lunch, needs a bath:

ugly_wooferPWRRYDNicholas_23kenrhodesKornbreadSteve_Leesquamishdroc6thplanetjoeybuttsS7910
    I have a signature.
  • Good move!

• @jr@mac said:
    OK, so the truck has been my primary focus as of late but I got it running good enough to take it out and about but there is still some work to do on the carb tuning.

I just poured some real money into the truck as part of getting it to run better (filled tank).

I ordered an X-pipe kit from Summit and will cut that in as early as Saturday. I will then buy a handful of sparkplugs to start the process of getting the jets just right.

Then I will pickup the router and continue the 4" mishmash project.

I did drive it to work after lunch, needs a bath:

Me and the 68 approve . P.S. doesnt look that dirty us ...

Kornbreadjr@mac6thplanet
  • Very nice Johnny. My buddy's 68. This was an HVAC fleet truck, with a service bed. So, bed is not original. The blue paint on the cab is though. 327 4bbl with an L79 cam, and three on the tree. He's had it since 1982.

Kornbread
  • Meant to say "Very nice Johnny and Nicholas"

• Nick has the 327 as well, I think. Mine is the original 4-bolt main 350, but just a little not-stock. The color of mine is original Medium Bronze, but is now a base-clear.

I love hearing the backstories of these trucks. Nick's and mine also have a cool history.

I have a signature.
  • I think Nicks 327 has a few not-stock goodies on it, as well.

I have a signature.
  • Man, where is the moderator for all these off-topic posts? =)

6thplanetjoeybutts
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Thread drift is ok, this will definitely circle back to the original topic.

Controversial starter topics and comments are pretty much off-limits though.

rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • edited June 2022

@jr@mac said:
    Thread drift is ok, this will definitely circle back to the original topic.

But you know I was just "messing" with you...
    Yeah, well I like flat four Subaru engines! That might be controversial around here!

dcibel
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • "So? Some people think cucumbers taste better pickled." (a Dave Cheppelle quote).

6thplanetjoeybutts
  • @rjj45 said:

@jr@mac said:

Yeah, well I like flat four Subaru engines! That might be controversial around here!

I'd like them better if the head gaskets didn't blow. Mine blew under warranty, which is good and bad...

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • @ScottS said:

@rjj45 said:

@jr@mac said:

I'd like them better if the head gaskets didn't blow. Mine blew under warranty, which is good and bad...

Yeah, I'm sort of burned with Subaru for that screwup. I had 2 foresters over the years where they tried
    to pressure me for the $1500 maintenance. Which chapped me because it was their bad engineering!

• @rjj45 said:

@ScottS said:

@rjj45 said:

@jr@mac said:

Yeah, I'm sort of burned with Subaru for that screwup. I had 2 foresters over the years where they tried
    to pressure me for the $1500 maintenance. Which chapped me because it was their bad engineering!

Don’t own a bimmer, they can’t seem to make a decent gasket….

• edited June 2022

what drift ?
    the 327 has a 4" bore....

jr@mac
  • Chevy's rule! I wrench vicariously through our youngest. His $200 rust-bucket S-10 "race truck" has taken up residence on the side street. I don't think I want to know how much he's really spent on it so far, but it purrs low & smooth like a cheetah...until you stomp on it! He added the turbo - rebuilt pretty much everything, except for that horrible rusting body.

rjj45jr@macKornbreadtajanes6thplanet
  • I've always wanted to do a small twin turbo setup to the old 88' Ranger GT with the 2.9v6.

• Why not a small twin turbo 5.0L setup in that '88 Ranger? Every part available and capable of 800+ HP on pump gas. =)

• I've always done things a little different.

• Good luck with the 2.9L. Hopefully yours has the OEM upgraded heads.

• Let's face it, you can throw turbos on a lawn mower give it a ton of boost and make it fast, but it starts to come down to will the engine survive. Cast pistons get unhappy really quickly with boost.

• @ugly_woofer said:
    Let's face it, you can throw turbos on a lawn mower give it a ton of boost and make it fast, but it starts to come down to will the engine survive. Cast pistons get unhappy really quickly with boost.

Meh ... ran 30psi on the Suby for four years with cast pistons. Have to be smart when playing with that much boost.

Right now the old Ranger GT is in a state of limbo. A meth head wound up on my doorstep late one Saturday night and sort of bought it, at least partially paid for it, before being hauled off to jail. County has the title. Anyhow, have a spare motor to rebuild if/when things get sorted and $ allows.

• Maybe it's just me, but I would feel better with forged pistons and crank for that matter. :)

• @Kornbread said:
    I've always done things a little different.

Dare to be different! I mean, I can talk about three projects that demonstrate by requirements to be different.

1. This thread - I spent more importing drivers to play with - no intention of creating a kit, no intention of finding just the right driver to buy a pallet of to flip for profit, no real reason other than they are different.

2. My 1991 GMC Sonoma reg cab short box. It was born with a 2.5L and 5 speed. Gutless wonder. Rather than spend $1000 on a mild small block and TH350 conversion I went a little... different. I found a 4.3L core and bought a reman. I found a TH350 core and sent it off in exchange for a TCI full manual version. I discovered that nascar used to have a small displacement class and a lot of fellas ran the odd-fire 4.3 so I hopped on some forums etc and ended up buying all the parts to stroke that poor 4.3 block to just under 327 cubic inches with a nasty cam, intake, full MSD ignition. The works. Spent 5x what a small block conversion would have cost. Dyno over 300hp at the rear wheels and was much fun to beat the shit out of pretty much everything on the road at the time. Hell, I spent many a weekend with a couple friends moving stuff like the battery to behind the cab, using a mag drill and swiss cheesing the frame rails, building a billet alum transmission cross-member, fiberglass hood, conversion to manual steering, etc. Old racecar tricks. With me in the drivers seat (I was still an active heavyweight fighter at 205 pounds at the time) we ended up with with 52/48 F/R weight distribution. 10 second quarter mile and trap speed of around 130 IIRC. Nasty fucking little truck and looked almost entirely stock from the outside.

3. Current truck. I have spent more on the existing motor/trans than buying the damn 96 Chevy van for $1500 that had the late model Vortec 5.7 and 4L80E transmission. The guy who helped me do most of the wrenching on the old girl was the one trying to sell me the van. I had to be different I guess.

The point is - money is just money, and I have been poor and I have been and still am comfortable, but I have never been wealthy and never will be. I am rich, though, beyond my wildest dreams - in my experiences. One specific experience was frog-stomping a smart ass on an illegal drag race at the illegal flat 1/4 mile stretch of fresh tarmac. You simply cannot imagine how good it felt with the 3000 RPM torque convertor locking up and that nasty "4.3" hitting 8000 RPM as I walked past that brand spanking new ZO6.

Dare to be different, the memories are worth every penny and every Ramen meal.

6thplanetrjj45Steve_LeeColonel7S7910ScottS
    I have a signature.