Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

4" drivers

124»

Comments

• So here is a formal side by side using WinISD. Other than adding 0.5 ohm series resistance, changing default port diameter from 4.01" to 1.625", and modeling at 10W - rest of settings are as-is.

Phase plug driver in green, carbon fiber driver in red, and aluminum cone driver in blue.

Transfer function. Don't let saddle fool you, they are still less than 3db of variation and let's be honest here - how accurate are models when speakers are subject to multiple influences outside of the enclosure tuning. Anyways, all three offer useful output into the 40's. Should serve very well for nearfield use depending on linearity in the midrange passband.

Excursion. Obviously the aluminum driver leads the pack in cone control below tuning, but all three have above average cone control for vented drivers - although I have noticed on these smaller drivers that is more common than larger drivers. The tradeoff is a similar size cabinet to 5-6" drivers. The benefit is similar bass extension to the larger drivers and due to cabinet size constraints a larger roundover can be used (I will be using 1-1/4" on these). Downside is of course less output than the 5-6" models, xmax dependent.

Anechoic max SPL at 10W. Not going to blow the rafters off since all three will be about 88db after baffle step losses. On the other hand, whoever ends up with them will likely put them on a desk or up against a wall so maybe more of a 3db correction is in order.

Vent velocity ain't no thang on these.

ugly_wooferkenrhodesSilver1omorjj45Steve_Leesquamishdroc
    I have a signature.
  • I completely fucked up every tweeter cutout, guess I should have spent some time learning the new metric jasper jig. I ended up using black RTV and gluing them all in, hell with it. These are effectively an experiment so whatever.

Hopefully get everything lined up and start measuring.

Oh, I also dropped one of the damn woofers and wrecked it so I took it apart. Raised spider, 5mm top plate, black anodized pole piece, ~15mm voice coil for overall overhand Xmax of 5mm. That's not too bad, really. Nothing groundbreaking there except for longer throw than most budget woofers of this size class.

This was one of the regular black anodized aluminum cone drivers. Not sure I'll order a replacement, see how it measures.

ugly_wooferSilver1omo6thplanetrjj45
    I have a signature.
  • That empty speaker basket will make a nice magnetic potted plant holder for the back of your car, man - don't sweat-it.
    Recycle!

jr@mac
  • The closest two pairs could be called the Horny Toads ...

• Round one, Carbon Fiber woofer and silver nipple tweeter...

All the further I'm taking this combo. The CF midbass is probably salvageable with a notch or two, but that tweeter is pretty much a joke. The distortion measurements were pretty horrible - like, Goldwood titanium horrible. The woofer wasn't all that great, either:

Anyways, round two coming next - black aluminum cone + gold nipple tweeter.

rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • On second thought, the woofers are going on Ebay, as well. Junk.

I have a signature.
  • Round two, black aluminum cone woofer and copper nippled tweeter. I know I have unloaded a few of these copper nippled guys, and...

Not bad, not at all bad. Much more better than the silver dude. Woofer is adequate, as well.

In my humble opinion, the tweeter is an absolute steal at ~$22/shipped. The woofer is not a high value at ~$40 shipped, but it is what it is. I will probably buy a replacement for the one I wrecked.

I have a signature.
  • Round three, phase plug woofer and black dome tweeter. The two black nipple tweeters were non functioning, I think I was had there.

This dome is great, except for the peak at 2-3K. Odds are it will flatten off-axis and would fill in the gap in a typical LR4 alignment but would still have excessive energy in that region. However, the performance is very good everywhere else so a notch would probably be worth every penny.

I have a signature.
  • I'm sick of this project, I fucked up quite a bit along the way. I miscut every tweeter hole so all six are glued in. I do plan on using the copper nipple tweeters on something, they are pretty nice. Up in the air on the domes. The silver nipples are going in the trash along with the CF woofers and all of my cabinets. They were actually disposable from day one, hence the rushed construction and lack of finishability. The phase plug and copper nipple are kind of a cosmetic match and would make a pretty good 2-way. It would make an even better TM portion of a 3-way.

This concludes the 4" shootout. Just don't have the love for it anymore.

Anyone want to buy a pair of CF cone 4" midbass? Anyone?

I have a signature.
  • Black dome tweeters ($21/shipped)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256801119080714.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.54ad1802jcgRci

Copper nipple tweeters ($24/shipped)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832666420433.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.54ad1802jcgRci&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

Phase plug midwoofer ($42/shipped)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256803513717231.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.54ad1802jcgRci&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

Black cone midwoofer ($38/shipped)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832688057267.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.54ad1802jcgRci&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

So realistically, buy OEM SBA midbass from Meniscus and then the gold nipple tweeter if you want to make a speaker with AliExpress stuff.

I could have bought so much beer with all the money I spent on this damn experiment.

Kornbread6thplanetSteve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • Thanks for your efforts and for sharing.

• Ah so, another attempt at finding value in the Far East only to end in bad engineering. Another crap shoot and a hangover. But thanks - never know when you will find a diamond.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • No worse than playing the lottery. Thanks for experimenting🤘🏼

• The copper tweeter is good, and so is the dome. I think the dome is very usable depending on the baffle width and xo point.

• I wasn't expecting anything out of this, so no disappointment. Wasn't even a gamble - just my natural inquisitiveness.

That being said, I did order a replacement blk alum cone woofer and a pair each of the copper nipple and blk dome tweeters.

I was very impressed with copper nipple performance.

I have a signature.
  • I'm not allowed to post pics of nipples on the other forums that I visit so this thread has been somewhat stimulating, JR.

jr@macSilver1omo6thplanetrjj45
  • @jr@mac said:
    I wasn't expecting anything out of this, so no disappointment. Wasn't even a gamble - just my natural inquisitiveness.

That being said, I did order a replacement blk alum cone woofer and a pair each of the copper nipple and blk dome tweeters.

I was very impressed with copper nipple performance.

This tweeter resembles a knockoff of the Peerless XT25SC90-04 in your photo. Does performance mirror that?

• I have two other AliExpress drivers I will be testing, maybe Sunday. I need to cut a test baffle for the dome tweeter and a midwoofer. It is another CF midwoofer but in 152mm size. The tweeter is a ceramic dome with 110mm faceplate.

I have a signature.
  • The 5-1/2" woofer is a double magnet with approximately 8mm of Xmax. Very long throw, hope the FR and distortion are usable. I imagine the powerful motor helps drive distortion down a bit via saturation. Pretty cool drivers, both, actually:

kenrhodes
    I have a signature.
  • If they work together, it will make a high-end looking speaker. Might not be particularly high end performing, but it will have the look and that matters.

I have a signature.
  • Ha! Right.
    Well they definitely look the part.

• Thank you JR. You have a very understanding wife. I love the look of the copper nipples.