Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

4" drivers

Comments

• Nothing wrong with daring to be different.
    All I'm saying is the American version of the German 2.9L has major head cracking issues. I'd rather boost a 3.0L or 4.0L Ford V6 which are no relation to the 2.8-2.9L. Honestly I'd rather grab a junk yard Ford 2.3L IL4 and boost it to the moon like the old Mustang SVO's or the T'bird turbo coupes.

• ...yes, be different.

rjj45ugly_woofer
  • How's the AOW intercooler working out?

Yes, the 2.9 can crack heads. Generally, if it's ever been hot, there's a fair chance the head cracked.

JR, driving around the sti at my age ... well, all the bull$hit from every wannabe revving, cutting me off, even brake checking me and the fam while cruising down the interstate ... it gets on my nerves. Incognito would be nice, but yeah, it puts a big smile on my face when one of those priks with their expensive cars, and nose way up in the air, gets their a$$ handed to them.

6thplanetjr@macrjj45
  • Worked great! Ice water is your friend. It's finally home from a 5 year storage. The engine and suspension are being transplanted into my street carπŸ‘πŸΌ

Nicholas_23
  • @6thplanet said:
    ...yes, be different.

Jeebus , engineer much?

6thplanetrjj45
  • Such a fun build, sad to tear it apart, really. Lots of memories with a bunch of friends. At least the heart will live on.

• Some notables.... The turbo is an HX35 off a Dodge pickup, the tranny cooler is F-150, the intake plenum is a chunk of drive shaft, tbody is off a Caddy, radiator and overflow is Honda, crank trigger wheel off a Taurus, crank sensor is Ford Focus, and intercooler pump was robbed from a weed killer tank sprayer. Great having friends at the local salvage yards.πŸ‘πŸΌ

Steve_Leejr@macNicholas_23ugly_woofer
  • @6thplanet said:
    Some notables.... The turbo is an HX35 off a Dodge pickup, the tranny cooler is F-150, the intake plenum is a chunk of drive shaft, tbody is off a Caddy, radiator and overflow is Honda, crank trigger wheel off a Taurus, crank sensor is Ford Focus, and intercooler pump was robbed from a weed killer tank sprayer. Great having friends at the local salvage yards.πŸ‘πŸΌ

Thats what I'm talking about!

6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • What did you use for an ECM?

• edited July 2022

@6thplanet said:
    Some notables.... The turbo is an HX35 off a Dodge pickup, the tranny cooler is F-150, the intake plenum is a chunk of drive shaft, tbody is off a Caddy, radiator and overflow is Honda, crank trigger wheel off a Taurus, crank sensor is Ford Focus, and intercooler pump was robbed from a weed killer tank sprayer. Great having friends at the local salvage yards.πŸ‘πŸΌ

Normal people ask, "Why??"

You - "Just hand me another 10mm socket."

6thplanet
  • @PWRRYD said:
    What did you use for an ECM?

Mega squirt, like one of the first iterations.

The Taurus/Focus magic.🀘🏼

ugly_woofer
  • I think I'm having trouble with the forum software. I keep clicking on a thread called 4" drivers and it keeps taking me to a thread about cars!! :p

6thplanetSilver1omorjj45
  • @a4eaudio said:
    I think I'm having trouble with the forum software. I keep clicking on a thread called 4" drivers and it keeps taking me to a thread about cars!! :p

And a never ending thread hijack to boot!

PWRRYD
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I'm gonna install the x-pipe on the soon, and next decent, non 78% 90 degree day I'll get back on DIY audio projects.

I have a signature.
  • Before anyone says anything, the weather here right now is almost identical to New Orleans right now. We usually have the same summers as most of the South.

I have a signature.
  • Ditto, and not looking good the rest of the week.πŸ‘ŽπŸΌ

• @ugly_woofer said:

I keep some of that in my toolbox.

• edited July 2022

I ordered another pair of tweeters from AliExpress to throw in the ring but honestly, I will likely use those new GRS ribbons with one pair and a pair of those small form factor SB ring radiators I bought from the owner of Audiofrog.

That leaves me four options to pair with the last pair of 4" drivers. I will be testing all versions of the tweeters, however. If I get the exhaust done on the truck, I will switch gears to DIY audio again. Mr. Claus is bringing his little welder over one of these nights so I can get it welded up at home instead of dropping it and taking it to work.

Also, I found a core 200-4R transmission out of an 87 Monte Carlo SS in Columbus, OH. If anyone is headed to MWAF (Springboro is a little over an hour from there) and is also headed to IowaDIY and also will have room I will pay a handsome transport fee. The carton is 30x24x24 and weighs 130 pounds.

I have a signature.
  • I would say, what no Muncie? ...but the way you've treated your legs.....πŸ˜›

jr@mac
  • OK, got that X pipe installed this morning. Up next is finally getting sawdust made.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • rjj45kenrhodesSteve_LeejhollanderSilver1omoTurn2Nicholas_23S7910squamishdroc
    I have a signature.
  • If it isn't too damn hot today when I get home I will do some of the driver cutouts. I decided against using that newfangled GRS-tek ribbon and SB ring radiator with these. The GRS would be a nice match to the HiVi neo midranges and the SB will look nice on my shelf until I decide to sell them for some reason. The only finishing I plan to do is sand them smooth. Whoever ends up with them can finish them how they want. I figure they will be happy regardless of how they turn out and I am never happy with how things turn out, sooo... Also, finishing them to any kind of standard will take longer per cabinet than the entire rest of the work across all six. I only have about 8 hours total into this project so far.

Incidentally, I forgot to share a pro-tip on finishing particle board. You have to use compressed air at close range on all end grain before filling with anything.

Anyways, moving along nicely at this point - although a friend contacted me and asked if I wanted a pair of foam rotted Bose 301 and of course I said yes. Maybe find a replacement woofer for them cheap and flip them on CL for beer money.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • edited July 2022

Dang, I know someone who works at Bose....and repairs 301's all the fucking time.πŸ˜›

jr@macugly_woofer
  • @6thplanet said:
    Dang, I know someone who works at Bose....and repairs 301's all the fucking time.πŸ˜›

Gee, wonder who that could be?

I just plan on sticking something like a GRS or Goldwood in them. Most people ain't gonna tell the difference nohow.

I have a signature.
  • re: I am never happy with how things turn out
    You and me both, bro!

jr@macSteve_Lee
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited July 2022

Parts Express Speaker Surround Re-Foam Repair Kit For Bose 301/JBL 116H

https://www.parts-express.com/Surround-Kit-For-Bose-301-JBL-116H-260-914

• @Steve_Lee said:
    Parts Express Speaker Surround Re-Foam Repair Kit For Bose 301/JBL 116H

https://www.parts-express.com/Surround-Kit-For-Bose-301-JBL-116H-260-914

... depending on how much they were playing with out surrounds....those poor voice coils...side note, they have a six layer coil.

PWRRYDugly_wooferSteve_Lee
  • I have re-foamed them before and it went pretty well. The pair I had done were not run with the bad foam.