Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• That's cool as hell!

6thplanet
  • Mercedes is going to have an open seat in ‘25 😎

• I text Toto and see what up...😎

tajanes
  • Just watched Gran Turismo on my flight home...

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Get off my PlayStation.

• @jhollander said:
    Just watched Gran Turismo on my flight home...

Any good? Seems like it might be kinda cheesy.

• Growing up (moved away at 15) my house was 17 miles from Daytona Speedway. But I've never been. My dad was a NASCAR fan and I do remember going to a race in Alabama, but I was probably 5 years old.

• I was a huge NASCAR fan and went to a lot of races. I stopped watching when they started the stage racing, the playoff BS, and making the cars all identical except for the headlight tail light stickers. Then my Son gets into it so now I'm watching some of the bigger races. I just can't justify spending 4 or more hours on the couch when it's a nice day outside or I've got a project I should be working on.

• edited February 11

And there was Fox's coverage... became a sad joke with Darrell Waltrip's boogity boogity thing and that ground hog digger cartoon. Then his lame brother Micheal on the starting grid. Quite cringe worthy for a real racing fan.

Ok I'm off that soap box.... who is watching the Super Bowl tonight? I'm rooting against Patrick Mahomes and Taylor Swift, um I mean Travis Kelce :p

• Chiefs by six.

I have a signature.
  • @6thplanet said:

@jhollander said:
    Just watched Gran Turismo on my flight home...

Any good? Seems like it might be kinda cheesy.

Yes a bit cheesy. Gamer turned racer. I thought the race scenes were well done. Better than fast and furious.

6thplanet
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • For a very hard, but enjoyable PC racing experience, try the old "Grand Prix Legends", a 'game' -really more a simulation - of the 1967 Formula One season.

Authentic and dangerous circuits, 400 bhp cars, no grip and quite difficult learning curve. Graphics are nowhere near current standards but a serious fan base has sound, graphics mods and add-ons to make it look OK. The sound upgrades are spectacular, with each engine of the day given its own set: Ford Cosworth V8, Repco-Brabham V8,Eagle-Weslake V12 BRM flat 16, etc.

You can tweak the suspension and handling too. I've managed to get around most tracks except the old Nurburgring and Monaco without crashing! Spa is great, Watkins Glen very tricky and Monza very fast indeed.

Not sure if it works with Windows 10/11, but it was fine with our old Windows 7 PC.

Geoff

6thplanet
  • The BRM V16 was so fucking cool sounding! 1.5 liters of fury.

Brave guys back then.

tajanesGeoffMillarSteve_Lee
  • edited February 13

@6thplanet said:
    The BRM V16 was so fucking cool sounding! 1.5 liters of fury.

I have an old LP called "Stanley Schofield Sound Stories - The Grand Prix Car" which my father bought in the 50s; recordings of famous cars from the era, such as the Maserati 250F, Vanwall and Connaught. Dad's other records in that series include various Isle of Man TTs and various Grand Prix.

The BRM V12 is recorded pulling into in the pits but it gets dramatic when you hear the engine beginning to destroy itself! I'm not sure if the beast ever finished a race. The later 'H16' BRM had one race win with Jackie Stewart but had an otherwise dismal record. In Grand Prix Legends it's the 'easiest' car to drive, probably because it's the heaviest.

The H16 was technically a fascinating thing: two flat eights joined by a common crank, rather like the WWII Napier Sabre aero engine, which was two flat 12s with a common crank. Engine life of the Napier was not good, but it put about 2200bhp when running properly.

A clip of Fangio testing at Modena: no safety gear, no barriers on the track and a 250F sounding great:

Geoff

Steve_Lee6thplanet
  • Yup, good stuff!

• edited February 14

Been a long time since I've done any speaker-ing but have been working on my pet project on and off since November, which is my first ever dedicated office/man-cave/audio room. I've been working for years stuck in a corner of our bedroom. Oldest son halfway through college and does Army ROTC so he's home about 4 weeks a year. I'm converting his bedroom and when he comes home I'll pull his bedframe and mattress out of the closet and work elsewhere then. He's a spartan dude so the only things he had in it were a bed and an ikea desk and chair, so even less in it than the before picture below from when we bought the house.

I built a 72 inch workdesk out of white oak veneered plywood that has 3U spaces on both sides of a pullout keyboard area, and it's got spaces for wire runs between the desk levels and a place in back for a huge power strip. I built modular custom wall units with concrete counters and plug-in sconces. Cabinets were el-cheapo unfinished Lowes ones and I scored 6-foot x 11 3/4" melamine pieces at Home Depot on clearance for less than $6 each. Still need to put edgebanding on the shelves. The room is painted all one color Sherwin Williams with varying sheens. I'm almost there and am thinking this weekend I can finally move into it (been saying that since late December). Waiting on a rug and the big splurge of a leather recliner coming. Will eventually post finished pics when done

jr@mactajanesa4eaudioTom_S6thplanetSilver1omoSteve_Lee4thtry
  • So... I know a guy who can weld/repair cast iron (not an easy tadoo).

And now...

That's pretty badass in my book! I'll reblast all the parts tomorrow and phosphate coat them before final coatings and bakes.

Silver1omojr@macugly_wooferColonel7Steve_Lee6thplanet4thtryR-Carpenter
  • I believe that you have to heat cast before welding it, but I've never actually done it. That repair is perfect.

• edited February 14

Heat it red hot and weld it with ni-rod. One way to do it.

I have a signature.
  • Then put it in the "Gloven" (cover with a pile of old leather gloves) to let it cool nice n slow.

• We do a bunch of cast repair at work and whenever possible we braze it.

• So this happened at work yesterday, out in the field testing a prototype mower. Young lady operating it was ok, just a little spooked.

Steve_Lee6thplanetTurn2Ed_Perkins
    I have a signature.
  • Yeppers! You guys all get it. Heat it to cherry red with a rose bud tip, then either stick it with a high Ni rod (bigger pieces) or just lay in a hot bead with the mig gun. Warp distortion is a big factor so tack, tack, tack first... then reheat it red and finish weld it then wrap it up so it cools slowly and evenly.

• I swear our house is cursed by some evil water spirit. The brass fitting on the evaporation tube from the furnace broke and it’s been dripping for at least a few days. The furnace is right behind the wall of the listening room.

Steve_Lee
  • edited February 15

Water and finished basements are like tornados and trailer parks. I've helped out too many family and friends try to dry out their basements. Ugh no thanks. I'd rip the carpet out and install peel n stick vinyl or something. Then just add rugs as needed. But that's because I'm jaded lol.

Colonel7
  • My basement is divided into two rooms. One day I go downstairs and the carpet is wet in the doorway between the rooms. I'm like???? So I grab a knife and start slicing the carpet to see WTF is going on. Well the jack asses built the partition wall right over the floor drain.

Weird thing is, in the 6 years I've been here, through countless downpours, it's never done that. I poured water down the drain and it was fine. That drain was about two feet away from where the wet spot was. Never figured out why that happened.

• @6thplanet said:
    My basement is divided into two rooms. One day I go downstairs and the carpet is wet in the doorway between the rooms. I'm like???? So I grab a knife and start slicing the carpet to see WTF is going on. Well the jack asses built the partition wall right over the floor drain.

Weird thing is, in the 6 years I've been here, through countless downpours, it's never done that. I poured water down the drain and it was fine. That drain was about two feet away from where the wet spot was. Never figured out why that happened.

Dog.

Steve_Lee
  • Ha! No. We do have cats, but holy shit it'd take a big cat to create that kinda wet spot! 😆

• Way back when I was younger, I helped a buddy lay carpet. Even the best of dogs has their 'emergency' spot and pulling up the carpet was the tell all.