Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• A very good friend of mine likes to build guitars and such. He (thought) scored a killer deal for this wood working vise at a flea market (20$ if I remember correctly). Poor thing has had a terrible life. Multiple cracks and shotty welding repairs over the years. I think it is quite usable now:

• And after I worked on it:

kenrhodesRon_Ea4eaudio6thplanethifisideugly_wooferjr@macTom_SEggguytajanesand 3 others.
  • Some wildlife in broken bow OK

tajanesPWRRYDSteve_Lee
  • Hit the dirtmall today, some spotted goods...
    Why do I feel Bill or Tom have one of these...

...and man if I needed a multichannel amp for an active setup, this ol HK unit would have been mine!

Steve_Lee4thtry
  • I'm not quite sure what that power supply is actually for. Google says it's for electrophoresis, whatever that is. My old college roommate works in a hospital lab & would probably know.

6thplanet
  • Looked up the specs. That is quite the machine! Even cheaper than the Stanley Miter Saw!

• @4thtry said:
    Looked up the specs. That is quite the machine! Even cheaper than the Stanley Miter Saw!

Looks like Man U El labor to me ...

• Bet the saw blade is dull after cutting against that cast iron without a sacrificial base board . . .

• Most of those saws had stops that would stop the teeth from hitting the metal.

Steve_Lee
  • edited February 18

@Tom_S said:
    I'm not quite sure what that power supply is actually for. Google says it's for electrophoresis, whatever that is. My old college roommate works in a hospital lab & would probably know.

While DNA electrophoresis would be done in a lab setting, that looks like what you might use for metal coating in an ion bath. Just a hunch on my part.

6thplanet
  • Metal plating uses very low voltage and high current (depending on the surface area of the parts). That "Warning High Voltage" leads me to believe it is for something else.

6thplanetTurn2
  • We had a Renault 16TS which was "Electrophoresis Protected" from rust; the process used a bath of stuff and an electric current to supposedly make the rust treatment stick to the internal metal.

However, some berk at Renault got either the chemistry or voltage wrong and instead of attracting the treatment, it repelled it so that the car was a rust bucket within two years. Pity, as it was comfortable, fun to drive, practical and a great car: first one in which I I did 100mph.

Geoff

• edited February 18

French designer obsolescence
    Too bad - good idea

• Renault sold cars in the US in the early 1980's called Le Car. They were very well known to have huge rust holes in the doors and quarter panels after only 2 or 3 years. I had a friend who purchased a used Renault that was 3 years old and had less than 40,000 miles. It was the biggest piece of junk I've ever seen.

• edited February 18

I remember my father purchased an early on Honda Accord. In it’s 2nd year the dealer called him in and replaced both front fenders - he was told Honda found an issue that could lead to rust -

• Slammed my twin brother's hand in a LeCar door. He screamed, I didn't feel a thing.

tajanesugly_woofer6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • Was the the Le Car the one you had pull the engine to replace the starter? A friend had one and told us something like that. Luckily he worked as a detailer at the dealership and payed one of the mechanics a hundred bucks to do it after hours.

• Red sky this am

Eggguyugly_wooferSilver1omojr@macDrewsBrewsPWRRYDSteve_Lee4thtryTurn2
  • I need a bigger pic of that for my PC background!

tajanes
  • edited February 19

Busy weekend sofar.

After the growing season of '22 I fermented my last big harvest of peppers. Banana, Anaheim, and Cayenne. Added some chopped carrot, onion, and garlic for flavor complexity. Yesterday, after sitting over a year fermented in the brine, I finally decided to make it into hot sauce. I added a couple Tbsp of Kamebishi 3year traditionally fermented soy sauce too. OMG I could have just bottled the brine and been happy. But this stuff is interesting. In the tabasco vein but definately different.

Today I decided to finally bottle the beer I brewed with wild hops I picked a few months ago. A few bottles I added a couple chunks of toasted oak to see what that would do.

Silver1omoPWRRYDkenrhodestajanesSteve_Lee
  • edited February 19

@Tom_S said:
    Was the the Le Car the one you had pull the engine to replace the starter?

That was the Renault 5, but unfortunately, that's an issue with many modern cars too: Mini, Volkswagen Toureg and certain Jaguar and BMW models come to mind.

Other idiot design features include timing chains at the back of engines - so you have to take the engine out to change it - cooling alternators with fluid, oil coolers inside radiators, fuel pumps inside fuel tanks, etc etc ad nauseum.

Some cars are like that by the nature of their design - as in Subarus, where you have to remove the engine to change the head gaskets as it's a flat four - some are just plain stupid, where the engineers haven't bothered to consider the problems when some poor person has to replace/repair part X.

As one Australian YouTube mechanic recently put it: if you buy one of these (insert make here), your mechanic can put their children through the very best private schools!

Geoff

• @DrewsBrews said:

Today I decided to finally bottle the beer I brewed with wild hops I picked a few months ago. A few bottles I added a couple chunks of toasted oak to see what that would do.

Harvest and toast your own oak?

• @Kornbread said:
    Harvest and toast your own oak?

I suppose it wouldn't be that difficult to run some 1/2" boards through the saw to get little chunks and toast in the toaster oven.

But no, I used some pre-toasted cubes. Threw it on an order for $5 on a whim.

Steve_Lee
  • @GeoffMillar said:

@Tom_S said:
    Was the the Le Car the one you had pull the engine to replace the starter?

That was the Renault 5, but unfortunately, that's an issue with many modern cars too: Mini, Volkswagen Toureg and certain Jaguar and BMW models come to mind.

Other idiot design features include timing chains at the back of engines - so you have to take the engine out to change it - cooling alternators with fluid, oil coolers inside radiators, fuel pumps inside fuel tanks, etc etc ad nauseum.

Some cars are like that by the nature of their design - as in Subarus, where you have to remove the engine to change the head gaskets as it's a flat four - some are just plain stupid, where the engineers haven't bothered to consider the problems when some poor person has to replace/repair part X.

As one Australian YouTube mechanic recently put it: if you buy one of these (insert make here), your mechanic can put their children through the very best private schools!

Geoff

My 2010 Nissan Versa currently has 90k miles. At 120k, I need to replace the spark plugs. When I bought the car, the saleman really bragged about how these newer engines run very clean and require fewer oil changes and spark plug replacements. But now I found out that I have to spend 2 to 3 hours tearing off all kinds of hoses, connectors, gaskets, etc., just so that I can reach the spark plug coils and spark plugs. Not looking forward to it.

Steve_Lee
  • Just did the spark plugs on my Toyota 4 cylinder. Maybe 30 minutes.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited February 19

My garage almost breathes a sigh of relief when I bring our 2002 Mazda MX-5 (Miata) in for service - normal maintenance items are easily reachable, rear wheel drive, not too many electronic things. It does have a few idiot design features such as the fuel pump being inside the tank.

The chief technician at 'my 'garage - I've been going there for 44 years - is a computer scientist and his expertise is invaluable with all the stuff that's on modern cars.

Our main car is a Mazda CX-30: lovely car, but the manual is 600 pages long and I still can't understand much of it.

Geoff

• I know it's a different engine than yours Bill but I can change plugs in my Nissan Altima in less than 20 minutes. Changing the oil and filter is a different story... without a lift or pit I have to jack the car up and remove the passenger side wheel and a plastic cover piece. Then the oil runs straight down on the frame rail. Completely stupid design for sure.

Steve_Lee
  • Here is a video showing how to replace spark plugs on a 2006 to 2012 Nissan Versa. This is identical to my car. Maybe an experienced mechanic could knock this out in 30 minutes, but I certainly could not. I'm thinking 2 hours minimum, probably 3 hours or more.

Tom_S
  • Greetings from Paris.
    Paris, Texas that is...

jr@mackenrhodesugly_wooferSteve_Leetajanes6thplanetTom_SPWRRYD