Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• Cabin cruiser or 35 ft Sloop for me if any at all and no longer likely.

• The old saying "The two happiest days of a boat owners life-the day he buys it and the day he sells it".

tajaneshifisideSteve_Leejr@macsquamishdroc
  • edited January 27

@GeoffMillar said:
    For once our Summer has been kind to the players, with temperatures well below average for January.

Geoff

It’s often been a heat wave tournament- with players seeking shade at the back of the court btwn points - but still a great venue

• edited January 27

I live in a play where it feels like all the men are into hunting, fishing or camping. I don't mind the camping so much, but as music loving pacifist, I never could understanding hunting or fishing.

A work colleague told me that her partner is a fishing tragic! But he doesn't eat fish. Maybe it's time out on the boat?
    Honestly I don't get it...

• @ugly_woofer said:
    The old saying "The two happiest days of a boat owners life-the day he buys it and the day he sells it".

I was happy the day I bought mine, but had mixed emotions the day I sold it. I was sad to see it go, but was hopeful to move onto something better. Plus I sold it for a fair bit more than I paid for it :)

• @tktran said:
    I live in a play where it feels like all the men are into hunting, fishing or camping. I don't mind the camping so much, but as music loving pacifist, I never could understanding hunting or fishing.

A work colleague told me that her partner is a fishing tragic! But he doesn't eat fish. Maybe it's time out on the boat?
    Honestly I don't get it...

I have fished my whole life, grew up bait fishing on the lakes of western Minnesota. Moved west when I was twenty to go to college and stepped away from it for awhile. Picked up flyfishing in my thirties and never looked back. Mostly catch and release for me nowadays. Fishing on one of my favorite rivers is where I feel happiest, the camping, campfires, fresh air, solitude and scenery are all icing on the cake.

silverDSteve_LeePWRRYD
  • edited January 27

I used to work in our State conservation and environment department; one of the things we administered was the duck hunting season.

As part of the license test, people had to look at photos of a range of ducks and birds on screen and identify which ones were protected, if they failed, they wouldn't be issued with a license. The test became necessary as hunters were killing protected ducks as well as other non-game birds and even tortoises. Well, a tortoise looks a lot like a duck, doesn't it?

One bloke then wrote to the Minister to complain that the test was discriminatory because he couldn't see the screen...and he was hoping to go out on a lake with a shotgun?!

Almost as good as the bloke who wrote to another Minister to complain that fitting jail walls with razor wire was inhumane because prisoners would injure themselves when trying to escape.... You couldn't make this stuff up!

Geoff

Steve_Lee
  • edited January 27

I worked for awhile in a prison.

The nicest thing I could say is that makes for interesting memoirs…

Steve_Lee
  • edited January 27

I cherish my sanity, TK as I suspect you do as well. I worked as a contractor in a women's prison for a year doing environmental controls work - the [insane] inmates [still] give me chills at times and like Jakes_Dad - I too love my solitude out in the rural country side. That's all I think is worth discussing at this point. Music calms my soul and speaker building is a means to perfect my love of a calm soul/mind in a world expanding off the sanity/civility rails in an infinite fractal pattern.

As I immerse my mind in this hobby I realize that our perception of time is inversely proportional to the amount of time we have so far experienced - I get lost in it and I don't mind one bit for having spent it doing so.

:p

Now adding to the expanding world of overly-connected distribution of opinions we have AI being trained to further inundate the sane with learned behaviors from the general population(s) spreading rumor and emotion/EGO based opinions instead of training it upon settled science and technologies to the further detriment of our collective intelligence.

Best to be selective as to where one treads on the WWW and what one allows inside one's mind.

tktranGeoffMillar
  • A month or so ago I committed to giving up caffeine. I was using a minimum of 640mg/day which is a considerable amount. I am now at approximately 120mg and plan to be off the shit in the next two weeks.

Up next is tobacco. I figure if I can kick one monkey off of my back, I can kick another.

I refuse to give up my beer and scotch, however. I have cut back quite a bit in the last five years, though.

I guess I realize at almost 50 years old I am no longer in my 20s.

Wolfkenrhodes6thplanetSteve_Leesquamishdroc
    I have a signature.
  • You can do it!

Wolf6thplanet
  • @jr@mac said:
    A month or so ago I committed to giving up caffeine. I was using a minimum of 640mg/day which is a considerable amount. I am now at approximately 120mg and plan to be off the shit in the next two weeks.

Up next is tobacco. I figure if I can kick one monkey off of my back, I can kick another.

I refuse to give up my beer and scotch, however. I have cut back quite a bit in the last five years, though.

I guess I realize at almost 50 years old I am no longer in my 20s.

It's now over ~30yrs since I've drank soda, coffee, or tea. They are times I have to take a migraine pill, and one of those contains some caffeine. That small bit of caffeine winds me up like a cheap watch. I don't see how all these people drink multiple energy drinks a day.

• I quit smoking 23 years ago. Honesty it was the hardest thing I've done. I tried multiple times unsuccesfully prior to that. A few years ago I quit drinking soda. That wasn't so hard. I still allow myself one cup of coffee a morning. If I feel like I need a little pick me up around noon I'll have a cup of green tea.

• Wow, 640mg of caffeine! No wonder you have insomnia problems. I hope this at least helps you sleep better. I'm in the ~200mg or less caffeine daily camp. I usually have about 36-40oz of regular range Mountain Dew pop offerings daily. It helps me wake up, focus, and get through the daily grind. I was drinking more of it a couple years ago. Then we had an FDA inspection and implemented new procedures at work where only water can be consumed outside break areas. This has helped me cut back. Energy drinks are flat out dangerous. About the only other caffeine potent pop I drink is the Kickstart Black Cherry, and not very often. I like the taste.

I applaud your endeavors for better living, as we are not in our 20s any more.
    Keep it up!

• I slum it with an Aldi knock-off Red bull (Red thunder) first thing each morning (114mg). I used to leave it at that, mostly drinking water with the random diet soda thrown in throughout the week. But, more recently, I've been adding a cup or two of coffee after I get into the office. And I tend to gravitate towards high-test stuff. If you can see through it, that's bean tea not coffee ;) . Probably should cut that back.

• edited January 27

Just looked it up and three 20oz (e.g., Starbucks Venti) coffees is 690mg caffeine! I don't buy Starbucks but I probably don't have less than 500 mg any day of the week.

Makes me wonder why I can't get more speakers built, I should have plenty of energy!

• edited January 27

I have two proper coffees a day; many years ago I used to have eleven, not healthy. Real coffee, not that flavoured or piss weak stuff which is often sold as 'coffee' in large cardboard containers.....

I remember have a 'coffee' at Heathrow Airport which wouldn't have qualified as "coffee" under the Trades Description Act, it was better described as industrial swill.

I could give up alcohol, but not coffee!

I smoked a little when I was a lot younger but gave up before I turned 25; however, some people find it very hard to do so and can even give up hard drugs before they can quit smoking. We have very strict laws that forbid smoking in pubs and restaurants, high taxes, labelling laws and years of successful ad campaigns which together have seen smoking rates drop to an all time low.

Geoff

6thplanet
  • @Wolf said:
    Wow, 640mg of caffeine! No wonder you have insomnia problems. I hope this at least helps you sleep better. I'm in the ~200mg or less caffeine daily camp. I usually have about 36-40oz of regular range Mountain Dew pop offerings daily. It helps me wake up, focus, and get through the daily grind. I was drinking more of it a couple years ago. Then we had an FDA inspection and implemented new procedures at work where only water can be consumed outside break areas. This has helped me cut back. Energy drinks are flat out dangerous. About the only other caffeine potent pop I drink is the Kickstart Black Cherry, and not very often. I like the taste.

I applaud your endeavors for better living, as we are not in our 20s any more.
    Keep it up!

My sleep problems predate my caffeine addiction, although I'm sure the caffeine may have compounded it. Then again, here I am at 2:10AM lol.

I have a signature.
  • The Australian Open tennis finals have been run and won: the women's final was one sided and rather dull, although a great exhibition of power tennis from Sabalinka.

Last night's match was a real battle, with Sinner dropping the first two sets and then staging an amazing comeback.

I just wish the tennis rule makers would outlaw shrieking and grunting though: I'm sure it's deliberate and appears to be of the same volume no matter what the type of shot. If it happened in cricket, e.g. a fielder grunting as the batsman was about to play a shot, the batsman could complain and umpires would tell the culprit(s) to stop.

It seems to have started many years ago with Monica Seles, Jimmy Connors and Thomas Muster and has become more prevalent over time. One player was recently recorded at 109dB!

Apparently some famous screamers don't do so in practice.

Geoff

• Yes, very annoying! That said I'm glad it wasn't an oven on court this year.

• Not that too many care around here but my Son and I are excited to watch the NFL conference championship games today!

• edited January 29

One of my other interests is making plastic model aircraft, I'm not very good at it but find it very relaxing. I generally make DC-3/C-47s, Spitfires, Mustangs and P-40s.

Coolest looking model is a toss up between a NASA C-47 in all white and a RAAF Spitfire with a shark mouth: the original was flown by a friend of my father's. The Spitfire photo is not my model; it's a restored and airworthy example based at Temora, NSW.

Current build is a 1/72 scale Lancaster in the markings of an RAAF Mk III named "Nick the Nazi Neutraliser". She survived many missions over enemy territory, only to be lost in a mid air collision during fighter affiliation exercises. Her crew were some of the 3,800 or so Australian aircrew (around 2 in every 3) who were lost in Bomber Command - more than in all the campaigns against Japan.

The USAAF was famous for 'nose art' but it was also seen on RAF and RAAF aircraft. In fact, the 'Boxing Kangaroo' which some fans sported at the Australian Open tennis dates from 1943, when an RAAF mechanic painted one on the cowling of a P-40 in north Africa.

Geoff

Steve_Lee6thplanetColonel7squamishdroc
  • edited January 29

Last evening some of the neighbors and friends got together for a pot-luck dinner - one brought his 120 yr old squeeze-box, and another this really cool (not old) cello, and they played some Irish tunes. The guy did say his classic wood cello played warmer.

ugly_wooferGeoffMillara4eaudio6thplanet
  • Carbon fiber body?

• @Steve_Lee said:
    Carbon fiber body?

Inside and out

• What a cool instrument, must be rather valuable!

Reminds me of the electric violin which Nigel Kennedy played at his Jimi Hendrix tribute show a few years back.

Geoff

6thplanet
  • @GeoffMillar said:
    What a cool instrument, must be rather valuable!

It’s very cool, yet he spoke of it as his toss around- not affected by the weather like his classic wood cello. He’s a pro (orchestra).

• That is fucking awesome!
    Not full carbon, but I do have a carbon fiber pickguard on my J bass. It's the bass I use in my band, it's tuned to C.🤘🏼

tajanesGeoffMillarSteve_LeePWRRYDColonel7Silver1omoTurn24thtryjhollandersquamishdrocand 1 other.
  • Yay! It's 53 F right now and full sun. I can't remember the last time it wasn't cloudy and gray. I believe 53 F is a new record high for us on this day in history.

• Hell yeah! Came out of work today, it was 60!

PWRRYD