Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• edited January 21

Got some of the other post(s) information tangled up with yours in my head while building an off axis measurement stand - Carry-on Mr. tech (Nicholas).

=)

• Water and our house seem to be mortal enemies. Lots of water related problems over the years. Our previous Whirlpool dishwasher was just out of warranty when we learned it had been leaking just enough to warp the floor under the adjacent cabinets. On the advice of my sister-in-law (appliance manager at Best Buy) we bought a Bosch.

• The crispy material on the piston is likely the interior plastic of the solenoid that melted. Something may have failed farther up in the circuit to cause the solenoid to be stuck on for too long causing the overheat situation. Just replacing the solenoid may only be a temprary fix until the same thing happens again. Something to keep in mind when testing the repair.

• Compared to everything else GE is as good as any others. I'll never buy the expensive DW after the fancy Kitchenaid ate parts every 6 months and all the parts were Whirlpool branded.

We went through 3 dishwashers in 9 years at the old house. So far at the new house the GE DW has lasted almost 5 years.

The GE parts people have been pretty good after Home Depot messed up my refrigerator. I'll probably give them a try for parts next time.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited January 21

I have all GE appliances. All installed new in 1988.

1) GE gas cloths dryer. Replaced glow igniter about 15 times ($20 part). Replaced tub belt once, disassembled and cleaned lint out of blower several times. Still works.
    2) GE washing machine: Re-attached lower rubber seal once, water level vacuum shut off defective, constantly gets out of balance, lower rubber/flexible seal needs to be replaced, but still works.
    3) GE gas range: Replaced glow igniter once, plastic knobs breaking off, top side spark ignitors intermittent.
    4) GE refrigerator: Entire compressor assembly replaced after 2 yrs (free replacement due to a recall). New compressor makes alot of noise, but still works. Ice maker jams up, so I do not use it.

• edited January 21

I have had to tear into our GE dish washer
    3 times in about 5 years. We love it though because it is so quiet you can be standing next to it and not even know it's running. The last repair I to fix was a major cold solder joint where AC power connector lands on the control board. Easy enough fix.

• I have a Bosch dishwasher that's over 10 years old, and it's the only appliance in my house that I haven't had to work on.

• We were talking about dishwashers a couple weeks ago at a family lunch. Apparently both my inlaws, and a aunt and uncle on my mom's side had Bosch DW units. Had, and were disappointed with, and they did not last more than a year in both cases.

As for me, we have 21 yr old Maytag Performa W/D, bought new in 2003. Dryer has had several thermal fuses swapped, belt, rollers, blower and clip, and drive pulley replaced. All done myself. I had to take apart the door switch recently to get it working right again to shut off when the door opened. I have added a test point switch to know that it is the fuse when it goes out. Yes, it is important to clean out the dryer lint periodically, and this should be done once or twice a year. Short of a transformer and heating element being replaced, it still runs great. I was lucky when first servicing it that there was an electrical diagram of the appliance inside the control area. That has been priceless to have.
    The washer has had 3-4 solenoid replacements over the years. All done by me.

We have a portable dishwasher in the kitchen bought in 2004. Other than about 4 solenoids, that has been fairly trouble free too. I think it's a Maytag without looking.

Fridge/freezer is a Kenmore, new in 2003. Has had a small drip leak under defrost mode for ages, so a drip pan stays under it. Dump it once a month or so as it is normally ice back there on the top fridge shelf, set to 36 degrees where it should be. Not a huge ordeal. Inside upper drawer slide is toast, but I just keep the 12pk cases under it anyway. No problem there. I had to reattach one door shelf in a different manner than manufactured when it broke the latch, but still holds fine. It still works, and keeps food cold and fresh if not frosty. I like my milk cold.

• @DrewsBrews said:
    The crispy material on the piston is likely the interior plastic of the solenoid that melted. Something may have failed farther up in the circuit to cause the solenoid to be stuck on for too long causing the overheat situation. Just replacing the solenoid may only be a temprary fix until the same thing happens again. Something to keep in mind when testing the repair.

I was also thinking about this when laying in bed lastnight . I did open and close the valve manually with the solenoid pulled off and seemed to move freely . Really not sure what else I could look at.

• edited January 21

If it is just a timed circuit then IDK what would fail intermittently besides a sticky relay. Unless the timer is mechanical, that could be sticky. If it relies on a sensor or switch to tell the circuit to let go of the solenoid then that is another point of failure.

Or just poorly engineered.. being utilized close to it's rated duty cycle and as other tolerances widen it gets pushed past that rating.

• Swapped out the solenoid and seems to be draining now. I left the kick plate off to make sure the part was operating and it is , it now drains. Towards the end of the wash cycle I did touch the replaced part and it was HOT to the touch, the piston arm if very warm to the touch. Im guessing this POS will need a new timer.

• ...and a fan😛

• All my fans are electric.

• Been driving a Mach E for the last few days - I work at a Ford dealer and they are giving staff a chance to drive one or a Lightning for a week. Probably trying to move a few units - electric car sales are a bit slow up here in Canada outside of the major urban areas.

I am definitely not a electric car guy but I have to say I do enjoy driving it - it is pretty comfortable and handles quite well. I was pretty against the big iPad like screens when they came out, but after driving it for a while operating the radio and climate control just becomes easy and not distracting. The Ford's have a big rotary knob at the bottom of the screen that adjusts a bunch of things depending on what part of the screen you touch - like seat heaters, fan speed, temp, radio volume, etc.

Don't think it will replace the Tacoma but would be nice for getting around town. Has a range of up to 400km - being that we are land locked by ferries on either end of town, and it is only 60km's from one end to the other it would probably go at least 2 weeks on one charge.

a4eaudioSteve_LeeTurn2ugly_wooferhifiside6thplanetjhollander4thtry
  • It's totally electric? I know there was a bunch of recent bitching about Teslas and charging issues with cold weather. You notice anything?

• @6thplanet said:
    It's totally electric? I know there was a bunch of recent bitching about Teslas and charging issues with cold weather. You notice anything?

Yes - full electric. No charging issues here as it hardly goes below -5 deg c where I live.

• What's hiding under the tarp?

tommytunes50
  • Looking like a boat

• Barracuda?

• New office headset.

kenrhodessquamishdroc
  • You need a tuxedo to go with them ^.

:+1:

• @PWRRYD said:
    What's hiding under the tarp?

I was wondering too - it looked a little like the back end of a ‘68-‘69 Buick Skylark or GS400. Then I saw the outdrive poking out.

• This issue is sometimes ignored in the vinyl v CD debate, but prices for LPs in Oz are going through the roof: most single albums are now A$40-50, compared with $25-30 for the CD.

Today I was looking at The Beatles' new Red and Blue albums with the 2023 re-mixes: the LP set was $170, CD $58. This makes vinyl a luxury purchase in a time of increasing living costs.

I appreciate that an LP costs more to make than a CD, but that sort of price difference is ridiculous!

Geoff

Steve_Lee6thplanet
  • When you look at pricing of systems the guys buying Beatles vinyl for - it doesn't seem out of line to me. Those guys will pay $100/ea for what amounts to plywood milk crates.

Some vinyl consumers are ridiculously easy to extract money from.

Turn2
    I have a signature.
  • @PWRRYD said:

19ft Bayliner - my neighbors boat - still waiting for an invite out on it :p

• @squamishdroc said:

@PWRRYD said:

19ft Bayliner - my neighbors boat - still waiting for an invite out on it :p

I had a 16' Starcraft with a Yamaha 75hp (IIRC) for a number of years - made a lot of new friends when I had a fishing boat. Strangely enough, when I sold that money pit I did not have nearly as many friends. I towed it with my old Bravada - would have been better off just driving to the lake, throwing a $100 bill in the water and go home to drink beer.

squamishdroc
    I have a signature.
  • ^ Absolutely!
    I don't miss my 16' ski boat either.

• @tktran
    AO ???
    Russia vs Italy final - I’m thinking Medvedev, but the 22 yr old beating Joker was impressive

• Last night's semi-final was a great match with some incredible shots, but disappointing that the players seem to hate each other.

For once our Summer has been kind to the players, with temperatures well below average for January.

Geoff

• Boat - A hole in the water into which you throw money.

What's better than owning a boat? Having a friend that owns a boat.

We sold our 19 footer a year and a half ago, with the intention of replacing her with something better suited for what we used her for, but have yet to find something for a reasonable price.

Sounds like I am in the minority, but I miss having a boat.