Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

1646566676870»

Comments

• Starting early-mid 40's I'd wake up 3-4am then impossible to go back to sleep. For a while I became accustomed to sleep by 10, up at 5-6 as would drive kid to school but they both commuting to OSU now. This generation not bother getting their licenses until 19-20. But then issue faded away few years later probably from my dwindling hormones where I need to get back to lifting to stimulate my body more and pray not tear something.

I like my edibles, my across street neighbor makes big batches of chocolate bars.

Shot of my wall of shame, thinned few projects out dumping off on FBmktplace. Luckily most of this year I bought second hand drivers to play with so not lose so much when move on. But most of what have now all have their virtues that enjoy. With wife's income rocky next couple months figure out what else to shed, 3 diff bass bins that undecided on. Or hope that will just move some to the basement - wife wants to move me and my office/cave to basement anyways if her next gig is remote.

6thplanetjr@macugly_wooferjohnny5jzSteve_Lee
  • Hey, Traw - any feedback concerning those GRS planar's?

Are you using passives or active XO's with them?

(I just placed an order for a pair to experiment with in a two-way near-field monitoring set-up going active).

• Benadryl knocks me out when I need it to. But better have 8hrs to dedicate or the next day will be hell.

Steve_Lee
  • @Steve_Lee said:
    Hey, Traw - any feedback concerning those GRS planar's?

Are you using passives or active XO's with them?

Last comment, as know this thread for off-topic.

I tried them both as open back dipole on top of the dual epic7 bass bin, active using dsp at 1000hz or so. Two minor shelves on top end and tried some boosting in the 1-2k range but not like trying to force peaks as they sometimes wont work or are some diffraction issue or the drive gets cranky. Plus lack of spinorama to get full insight. With the dipole i get little confused on the echo's in this small room, but much better than trying simply open back mid - need that high freq backwards too.

With passive 2way here (repurposed my Indy24 thug box), it wasnt too bad doing some curve shaping to tame the 2 step rise. Used 2nd order electrical both sides, ended up around 1.6-1.7kz. Tried and listened to couple diff alignments crossing over as low as 900Hz and 1100, but when voicing with single speaker not always get the full character but was sounding a touch thin.

But now, sound excellent. Bigger wall of sound than from 2ways, detailed, clear. Still need to give them some time with various genres and try them out at much louder level in bigger room. I had wanted to try Joseph Crowe's 3D printable horn for it, but not know anyone with big enough 3d printer.

my level in the rew measurement about 4db lower than actual, so still fairly mild-low measure level.

On sleeping, i have a bad habit of using an earbud in one ear listening to River Monsters, I'm programmed to fall asleep too.

Steve_Lee
  • edited September 6

Thanks for the ^ info, Traw.

It's odd; being on-topic in an off-topic thread.

• And of course all this talk about trouble sleeping, I've been up all night and now at 4:30 am like why bother. Get through to lunch and maybe take afternoon off. Think I'll do some coding for work and chat with some team members in Bangalore so they know I was up doing some work early heh.

Steve_Lee
  • edited September 9

In my University days, I mis-read the due date on assignment as 31 October instead of 3 October; I discovered the mistake on 1 October, so had very little time in which to do a 3,000 word essay. Spent the rest of the day in the library doing research until it closed, went home, worked until 3.00am, up at 6.00, back to library, etc.

Just made the deadline and would you believe, got an excellent mark.

However, to keep myself awake I had 32 cups of coffee and was an absolute mess for days afterwards; couldn't sleep, was extremely nervous and couldn't concentrate at all.

These days I have, and need, two cups per day but I never repeated that experiment. Caffeine can be rather nasty!

Geoff

• White cross (tablets) were the study aid of my college era years. I stuck with drinking Pepsi.

jr@macEd_Perkins
  • White crosses were rampant in food service in late 80s and early 90s.

I have a signature.
  • I remember those things. I never tried them though.

• edited September 11

Have not seen this before: Spinal Tap's early hit single!

Geoff

tajanesTom_Sjr@mac
  • @GeoffMillar said:
    Have not seen this before: Spinal Tap's early hit single!

Geoff

Which drummer was that? They went through several, all of which died suddenly and tragically.

I have a signature.
  • I may have my insomnia whooped. Shrink prescribed Trazadone and that paired with a Benedryl I have had two nights straight with only my typical bathroom and water break after 4-5 hours. No problems falling back asleep.

6thplanetkenrhodesEd_Perkinsugly_wooferSteve_LeeDrewsBrews
    I have a signature.
  • Before there was Spinal Tap, there was Bad News

... anyone remember The Young Ones? A few of those guys did this.

jr@macGeoffMillar

• 25000W resistor we use for load testing our smaller generators.

kenrhodes6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • ...about 7' tall.

I have a signature.
  • That is a big toaster.

tajanes
  • edited September 12

@6thplanet said:
    Before there was Spinal Tap, there was Bad News

>

... anyone remember The Young Ones? A few of those guys did this.

Certainly do: the group or actors were called The Comic Strip and did about twenty short films, not always with the same cast, not always good, but always interesting. Bad News Tour, More Bad News, Five Go Mad in Dorset and The Bull----ters were great. Peter Cook, Kate Bush, Robbie Coltrane and others guested.

Who can forget Spider Webb, Den Dennis, Vim Fuego and the hopeless bass player? "I'm not going back in the van til I hear Vim say we're heavy metal', 'where's me other sausage' 'I'd do it for free if I didn't need the money' etc.

I always thought they were more imaginative than Spinal Tap. In More Bad News, they actually appear at Donington 'Monsters of Rock' heavy metal festival and get pelted with cans.

Bad News songs included 'Warriors of Genghis Khan', 'Bad News' and 'Drink til I Die'.

Geoff

6thplanet
  • "...you know that fucking moronic bass run you do Colin..... yeah, which one?" 🤣
    Drink till I die!! What a great song.
    "lager makes me happy, vodka makes me mean, I'm a heavy metal drinking driving alcohol machine"
    Omg, I can pretty much quote the whole Bad News CD, great stuff!

Geoff, you just went up a notch on my list😎🤘🏼

Steve_LeeGeoffMillar
  • To complete the joke, Bad News' albums were produced by Brian May!

"Give me another drink, Mr Bartender - if you don't I'm gonna stick your dick in a blender".

I worked with a bloke who loved Bad News as much as I; all we had to do was say "sausages" or "futuristic heavy metal" and we'd crack up.

Brilliant program, I prefer the first as it was so original and well written. Also check out "A Fistful of Travellers' Cheques" with the same cast.

You didn't let the dog in for free, did you?

Geoff

6thplanet