Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• Ive had one years ago. When good n ripe they smell like jolly rancher. They taste "tropical". bannana like, but a bit more complex. The mouthfeel is very custard like. I saved the seeds and put em in the fridge (to stratify) but it has been many years. I tried to see if a few would sprout this year in a ziplock bag with moist paper towel warmed by the window but no luck. Not surprised.

• @PWRRYD said:
    I've never even heard of that.

Never heard the old rhyme... Way down yonder in the pawpaw patch?

tajanes
  • There are several varieties of pawpaw, the most widely available in Oz, a different one than in the above photo, smells a a bit off but tastes fine; much of the inside is just air and seeds. To me it tastes better dried than fresh.

Geoff

• I remember them from the kid's song, but I thought it was something they made up.

• Down here it's persimmons - I have a bunch of skinny tall trees with branches bowed under the weight of all the fruit again this year - the coyotes love them . . . https://unrulygardening.com/foraging-harvesting-wild-persimmons/

• edited September 2

@Kornbread said:

@Colonel7 said:

@Nicholas_23 said:
    Always wanted to try one , what do they taste like ?

Smell like mangos. I’ll let you know what they taste like in a couple days

Look pretty green. Are they ripe?

Yes, the one in my hand was and had dropped. They’ll get a shade paler when overripe kind of like a Bartlett pear. Skin is like a mango though, thick. They’re only around for about a week and then gone. I picked a few that were just short of ripe.

• I can't believe no one was aware...

"How to Drink Pawpaws

When fresh fruit fails, seek beer. Pawpaw-flavored craft beer is a dynamic little pocket of the pawpaw world, and it's perhaps one of the most accessible ways to bring pawpaws to the people.

Jay Wince is president and head brewer at Weasel Boy Brewing in Zanesville, Ohio. They brew the Weasel Paw Pawpaw Pale Ale, an English-style pale ale flavored with pawpaw pulp..."

https://www.seriouseats.com/what-are-pawpaws-wild-fruit-midwest-how-to-prep-and-eat-pawpaws

• Look pretty green. Are they ripe?

Yes, the one in my hand was and had dropped. They’ll get a shade paler when overripe kind of like a Bartlett pear. Skin is like a mango though, thick. They’re only around for about a week and then gone. I picked a few that were just short of ripe.

Hmm ... the pic looks pretty green to me. Maybe it's just the pic, or possibly a bit different breed than what we have here on the creek, as they taste best when the green lightens and even has some pale yellow. Dad doesn't like em', I do, but I eat about anything, including mayapple. Mayapples are pretty toxic until they ripen, and as soon as it does, every critter in the area eats it. Lucky if you get a single ripe fruit out of the entire fence row.

• @6thplanet said:

@PWRRYD said:
    I've never even heard of that.

Never heard the old rhyme... Way down yonder in the pawpaw patch?

No, never heard that.

• Look pretty green. Are they ripe?

And if you like rhubarb pie, you will probably also like gooseberry pie. Been several years since I had a gooseberry pie.

• My Grandma use to make wonderful rhubarb/strawberry pies from scratch. The shortening was from a jar where she saved all the bacon and pork chop grease she cooked. She used the same shortening in her biscuits and her gravy. I've tried lots of biscuits and gravy from many places but none of them compare to her's.

tajanes
  • My in laws had gooseberry pie at Thanksgiving a few years ago. It was Great!

• edited September 2

Spent the day scraping off shingles and knocking water damaged OSB off our deck roof. Managed to get the first row of new sheathing back on. But that was only two sheets + a 2ft piece. I doubt Ill have the energy to hoof the other 7 sheets of 3/4" OSB up the ladder tomorrow. I think I'll have to dig the drywall lift out of the basement :s .

• That's enough weight that you should take 1-3 sheets get them in place and go back for another 1-3. You could easily add 1000 pounds to a few trusses in a way they are not made to handle.

• edited September 3

~17'x16' roof. There will only be 3-4 uncut full sheets up there in the end and I've already installed one. Small enough roof that most sheets require custom sizing to stagger the joints.

• @PWRRYD said:
    My Grandma use to make wonderful rhubarb/strawberry pies from scratch.

My grandmother was possibly the worst cook I have encountered: she once made an apple pie where she'd rolled out the layers of pastry sheets onto grease proof paper - but forgot to remove the paper before putting on the pie. I suppose it gave us plenty of fibre....

Or the recipe which called for sour cream, but she didn't have any so used cream which had gone off, I spent the next day on the toilet. The 'casserole' it contained was a collection of bits of something accompanied by some black discs of some or other vegetable.

That said, she lived to 101 as she seemed immune to most illnesses.

Geoff

KornbreadkenrhodesSteve_Lee
  • Everything down there really does seem to be trying to kill you, doesn't it?

:s

• Gran was a vicar's wife who helped poor or unemployed people during the Great Depression during their posting in Red Cliffs (near Mildura, on the Murray River in Victoria). She was one of the first Victorian women to get a University degree.

As there was a serious rabbit plague, most of her alleged meals consisted of rabbit stew cooked in large vats, but her cooking was welcomed by those in need. To this day, most Aussies won't eat rabbit as they see it as 'poor peoples' food.

Probably the most destructive or dangerous pests here are rabbits, mosquitos, cane toads, foxes, cats, camels and horses: all are introduced pests and destroy native flora and fauna.

Things like crocodiles, sharks, some spiders and snakes attack and kill people and animals but luckily fatalities aren't common. Many more people are killed in avoidable household accidents such as falling off ladders.

Geoff

• I would like to hear more about Gran, please.

• edited September 4

@Eggguy said:
    I would like to hear more about Gran, please.

Thank you!

A very intelligent but rather severe lady, had six children of whom two were stillborn - there was little health care around Red Cliffs. She was very strictly religious, but politically she believed "a plague on all their houses". Her eventual husband served as a dispatch rider in France during WW1, a rather dangerous job.

She got bored at 90 and learned Greek, played and taught piano until she was about 95. She tried to teach me piano but I gave up after one lesson after she called me an idiot for not finding Middle C without looking.

Her brother, a survivor of various WW1 battles including Mons and Gallipolli (aka ANZAC landings) lived to 99; amazing that they both survived the Spanish Flu in 1919. He was about 5'6" and drove a 351 V8 Ford Fairlane about 5 miles a week to play her at Scrabble.

She had never been in a aeroplane and never learned to drive.

Geoff

Kornbreada4eaudioSteve_Lee6thplanetEggguy
  • Time for another bass build. I was given a cheap Chinese P bass with a J bass neck. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of it before tearing it apart. Trust me....ugly, but honestly played ok.

First up was to make the body somewhat presentable. I'm kinda doing a loose tribute to Steve Harris' blue bass. So I hit up a buddy and we mixed a bunch of his left overs together.

The body was a dull black and had a grain to it, so some filler and high build primer was first. A bunch of sanding later it was ready to paint.

Steve_LeePWRRYDugly_wooferkenrhodesjr@macTom_SKornbreadtajaneshifisideTurn2and 6 others.
  • As I lay here all insomniac, I wonder what meds I could be taking to help combat things. Irritating - my performance at the gym and at work are suffering.
    Also, winter is coming 😡

I have a signature.
  • Not drinking before bedtime or on an empty stomach usually reduces the occurrence of insomnia while taking a long evening walk after dinner helps one's sleep. (about 4 hours after drinking your blood sugar drops and causes a lot of issues and not sleeping is one of them)

Then there is Melatonin 3mg tablets before bedtime in the vitamin section of the grocery store - natural.

Failing those suggestions there is the possibility of asking for a Xanax (Alprazolam) 0.25 mg from your GP due to stress related sleep problems - he can get you a sample prescription to try.

6thplanet
  • If your combating the lack of sleep with coffee/caffeinated beverages during the day, that can also effect sleep at night. Caffeine has a half life of 12hrs, so even though you might not be "feeling" the effects, your body still has it racing through your blood.

Steve_Lee
  • No caffeine, minimal alcohol. Tried all of the OTC stuff. I fall asleep fine initially, then when I wake up in middle of night to rock a whiz falling back asleep is my issue. I'll talk to my shrink about it.

Side note, took this picture yesterday.

Steve_Leehifisideugly_wooferSilver1omo
    I have a signature.
  • Huh. A little banana, a little pineappley/papaya, and a little slimy. A lot of seed to fruit ratio. Not bad but not something I’d go out of my way to eat or give to someone

@Kornbread said:

Look pretty green. Are they ripe?

jr@macSteve_LeeKornbreadugly_woofer
  • Hmmmm . . . Could be withdrawal symptoms from stopping all those stimulants so close together as well, JR.

When I stop drinking beer or smoking my pipe, I get constipated for a while, caffeine can make me either very tired, animated or scatter-brained/manic - never know which.

Our physiology changes as we age so that there are always some new "issues" to deal with . . .
    Good luck to you, Sir.

6thplanet
  • I've always dealt with insomnia, it's only in the last year or two that it has started affecting me like this.

I have a signature.
  • edited September 5

@jr@mac said:
    As I lay here all insomniac, I wonder what meds I could be taking to help combat things. Irritating - my performance at the gym and at work are suffering.
    Also, winter is coming 😡

This is the most sedating bliss to ever hit your mailbox. More than a quarter dose is TOO sedating for me.
    HOWEVER: Not advised if you need to pass a THC screen. The paradox of legal hemp/mores of the past.

https://www.binoidcbd.com/collections/featured-products/products/11-hxy-thc-gummies-5000mg-cali-reserve

jr@mac
  • edited September 5

I tried similar Gummies and they did sedate me with my head connected by a rubber band for a couple of doses but evidently built up a tolerance to it quickly and it stopped having any noticeable effect after about the 4th dose.

There are little if any psychotropic effects like real leaf has and not much good at stimulating musical creativity.

Being retired, I don't have to pass drug screening but don't take nor like gummy cannabis effects and haven't had access/interest in leaf in over 40 years.
    I don't wish to dissuade anyone from trying it though - just my experience thus far.

I tried Kratom twice and found it to be of no good use at all for anything - just felt like a heavy weight upon my brain.

I am mostly looking for pain relief due to chronic sciatica and nerve compression/damage while JR is looking for sleep assistance.

I'll step aside now.