Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• Also, Keith nailed it again with his fine laser skills...

silverDjr@macWolfSteve_Lee4thtrySilver1omougly_wooferTurn2Tom_Sjhollanderand 1 other.
  • Stopped by the Walmart 3 miles from my house with the wife and kids...

Antron Brown and his top fuel dragster. Three time Top Fuel World Champion! He's on his way to Brainerd MN for this coming weekend's race there. He stopped here to support a local fireman's charity (not a sponsor that I know of). What a super cool guy. We all chit chatted for about 40 minutes about racing, life on the road, starting his own team, his kids, our kids, God, you name it. Love seeing guys like him who are so down to earth and not full of themselves. Will be cheering for him this weekend.

Tom_SkenrhodesDrewsBrewstajanesEggguyjr@macNicholas_23hifisideSilver1omoSteve_Leeand 3 others.
  • So Toyota is into drag racing ? If so when did this happen? Did miss something ?

• So our ticking time bomb (silver maple) in the front yard has developed a bug issue where we lost a limb 10 years ago. Anyone know what this insect is?

• Is that a green sweat bee?

• Did a search, and likely confirmed my suspicions. My guess is the green wasp is attracted to the critters eating the tree to get a good meal. Cuckoo wasps came up in the search, but uncertain they are what you actually see there.

• @Nicholas_23 said:
    So Toyota is into drag racing ? If so when did this happen? Did miss something ?

Just like in NASCAR... They don't and have never produced a front engine V8 car that is a two door sedan and rear wheel drive. But if you throw enough money at the sactioning body anything goes. I don't throw any shade towards Antron (AB Racing). If Toyolet is paying the racing bills... there is nothing produced by Toyota on that racing machine.

Nicholas_23
  • @Wolf said:
    Did a search, and likely confirmed my suspicions. My guess is the green wasp is attracted to the critters eating the tree to get a good meal. Cuckoo wasps came up in the search, but uncertain they are what you actually see there.

Thanks Ben. I plan on having this tree removed as soon as the local tree companies slow down. They are all still slammed from the last round of storms and quoted prices would be extremely high.

• Don't know why I have this fascination with bugs, but I find some of them interesting to watch or find. If I see a bug and I don't know what it is, I can snap an image on the phone and google will find it.

Billet
  • I went out to dinner last weekend and walked past the salon that cuts my hair. They were in the process of doing some cleaning and wanted to know if wanted some speakers that they had pulled from the rafters. I said sure and picked up a pair off extremely dusty Bose Model 101 Music Monitors. They look like they have single 3 1/2" paper cone driver in a cast resin box. They have some weight to them.

They don't measure very well. The vocal range is not bad but there's no bass and the highs pale in comparison to my Raal's. ;-) The price was right and I'll have to compare them to some of my small two ways some time.

Ron

Silver1omoSteve_LeeGeoffMillar6thplanet
  • edited August 14

Most people know what a 'Spitfire' aircraft is and would probably love to have one, this guy built one!

He used some different construction materials and techniques to the original and installed an Alison V12 instead of a Merlin, so you could argue it's not 'really' a Spitfire, but it looks great and was relatively affordable.

Geoff

6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • @Ron_E said:
    I went out to dinner last weekend and walked past the salon that cuts my hair. They were in the process of doing some cleaning and wanted to know if wanted some speakers that they had pulled from the rafters. I said sure and picked up a pair off extremely dusty Bose Model 101 Music Monitors. They look like they have single 3 1/2" paper cone driver in a cast resin box. They have some weight to them.

They don't measure very well. The vocal range is not bad but there's no bass and the highs pale in comparison to my Raal's. ;-) The price was right and I'll have to compare them to some of my small two ways some time.

Ron

As Bose repair is coming to an end, we just scrapped the drivers that went in those. Repaired many as well as the newer 151 variant.

• @Wolf said:
    Don't know why I have this fascination with bugs, but I find some of them interesting to watch or find. If I see a bug and I don't know what it is, I can snap an image on the phone and google will find it.

iNaturalist is a great app if you are into plants and bugs. I use it frequently when traveling if I come across unfamiliar plants and critters.

• I was going to post this in the 'Drum Test' thread, but it's not quite relevant to that, so here's the great recording engineer Eddie Kramer talking about how he records drums:

I found it very interesting, hope you do too.

Geoff

Steve_Lee6thplanet
  • That ^ is very useful for me, Geoff even though I use sampled sounds - Why?
    Because the software I am using/migrating towards is very sophisticated and contains a full mixer with the same sort of close and far-field microphones in various room sizes for me to mix to create my own sounds/mix for my kits.

As I was discussing off-line with Erik (Analog Kid) once past the mics and onto tape/HDD/SSD - the entire mixing/mastering discipline is the same for both acoustic and digital drums these days.

Thanks for posting it!

• Tomorrow will be three weeks with no smokes. Already feeling it at the gym.

tajanesjohnny5jz4thtryugly_wooferPWRRYDkenrhodeshifisideSteve_LeeGeoffMillarBilletand 1 other.
    I have a signature.
  • edited August 16

They say (I don't know who "they" are lol) it takes 21 days to make or break a habit. So you're there man!

jr@mac
  • I'm going to try to go 21 days without buying anything speaker related.

6thplanet4thtrySteve_LeePWRRYDkenrhodesWolf
  • You'd be better off to start smoking, wait 15 years, then quit smoking.

• edited August 16

Willpower! Mind over matter!

• The current TV commercial for 'Isuzu' 4WD people movers uses Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way", presumably to suggest rugged independence or some other BS concept.

But if you listen to the song, it's pretty obvious that "go your own way" really means "f - - off", at least, that's the way I interpret it.

Strange concept for an ad...

Geoff

Steve_Lee6thplanet
  • I watched "The Final Countdown" again yesterday: a pretty average film, but great footage of aircraft carrier operations and aircraft. Good ending, especially for the dog.

The plot involves the modern USS Nimitz on exercises near Pearl Harbour, which runs into a weird vortex which takes it back to 6 December, 1941. Recce aircraft find the US fleet as it was then and the Japanese fleet steaming towards Pearl.

The interesting question, discussed in the film, is what should they do?

One issue with time travel (if it were possible) is that if you changed events, history would be different and various things and people would not exist.

If Nimitz' aircraft attacked the Japanese fleet, the tragic events at Pearl Harbour would have been avoided, but Japan would have declared war on the US for destroying its fleet. However, the Pacific war would have turned out quite differently, with, say, no invasions of New Guinea, the Philippines and the various islands.

Interesting to contemplate; many lives would have been saved and created by service men and women who survived, and the world would be quite different.

Geoff

• edited August 20

… and where would we have been without George Bailey?

We all have made decisions that have taken us down our own paths, but what if only I had…. Clearly (in my case) not world changing- but interesting to think about.

• edited August 20

There are so many, many 'what ifs': as an example, the late President George H Bush, an Avenger pilot, was shot down during a raid in WW2, as were some of his comrades. The President was able to fly some distance from the action before ditching and he was rescued by a US submarine, but others were captured by the Japanese and murdered.

If things had been different, how would that have affected history?

Geoff

• Finally getting the front panels done

WolfkenrhodesSteve_LeeGeoffMillarhifisideNicholas_23tajanessilverDTurn2ugly_wooferand 3 others.
  • Jeebus!!!! Hot damn . Smudge pic for the win

6thplanet
  • @GeoffMillar said:
    I watched "The Final Countdown" again yesterday: a pretty average film, but great footage of aircraft carrier operations and aircraft. Good ending, especially for the dog.

The plot involves the modern USS Nimitz on exercises near Pearl Harbour, which runs into a weird vortex which takes it back to 6 December, 1941. Recce aircraft find the US fleet as it was then and the Japanese fleet steaming towards Pearl.

The interesting question, discussed in the film, is what should they do?

One issue with time travel (if it were possible) is that if you changed events, history would be different and various things and people would not exist.

If Nimitz' aircraft attacked the Japanese fleet, the tragic events at Pearl Harbour would have been avoided, but Japan would have declared war on the US for destroying its fleet. However, the Pacific war would have turned out quite differently, with, say, no invasions of New Guinea, the Philippines and the various islands.

Interesting to contemplate; many lives would have been saved and created by service men and women who survived, and the world would be quite different.

Geoff

According to Einstein, it's possible.

• @Kornbread said:

According to Einstein, it's possible.

Quite right, but I've heard Prof Brian Cox explain it and still can't understand how it's possible! I need a Geoff-proof explanation....

In a sense, time travel happens when we look at a distant star; we're looking at it as it was maybe many light years ago.

Geoff

• edited August 21

That's ^ the theory of Relativity.
    It involves the speed of light and our distance from the object we are are observing - the closer to it we are the more current the observation in time, the further from it, the earlier in time (ie// The past).
    So, relative to distance we can only travel into the past from the now.

OK, so we can easily shift our physical perception of time relative to the distance we are from it merely by observing objects at different distances in order to move from now to the past.

Look at your hand, then look out the window at the horizon, then look at the moon, the planets the stars, etc . . . You have moved backwards in time - however the detail/resolution of those objects diminished relative to the distance.

Not much use.

None of those ^ observations required the need to move our mass/physical bodies to arrive at those times because we observed light and whatever its component make-up entails reflecting from the objects to our eyes.

Now in order to move into the future . . . (Here comes Schrodinger's cat and all the endless possibilities).

How do we move our physical mass to a place that may require it to be moved in order to maintain the relative perception of the future?

I have no idea.

Added after further consideration:

The future does not exist; there is only the here and now - we cannot travel in time to the future which is why we speculate and need to be damn careful about what we speculate upon because speculation is the 1st cousin of bullshit.

The further out into the future we try to travel/speculate upon the lower our detail/resolution is just as the past, relative to our physical location was above.

Now before someone uses speaker modeling as an example of predicting/traveling to the future; acoustics are finite within a confined set of parameters/space at atmospheric pressure. Time is another dimension concerning human events not equal to acoustics.

Cogitate/Selah.

GeoffMillar
  • Had a little visitor in my yard yesterday...

Invasive species, but they eat other more annoying insects so that's a good thing.

ugly_woofer6thplanet
    I have a signature.